One Leg Substantially Shorter Than Other - Effect on Golf

KellyBo

Golf, Have Fun or Quit!
Reaction score
I recently went through physical therapy for back problems and my PT measured my legs. I had about 1/2" difference in the lengths and she gave me a shoe insert to start wearing in the shoe of my shorter leg.

Last night Ole Gray was laying on the bed and I asked him to let me see how his legs compared in length. I was shocked to see that his right leg was almost 2" shorter than his left. He said his orthopedic surgeon told him it would be substantially shorter after having his partial knee replacement. We're about to take a walk so I had him lay down again and checked it to see if he was just laying wrong.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, has it had an effect on your game? Would a shoe insert work for this much discrepancy?

Great, now OG will be using another excuse come the outing.
In all seriousness, I think personally the body adapts to it. ALthough if one is struggling, they do make shoes that would help this issue.

I don't that I know of, but 2 inches seems like a lot. I do know my left shoulder is lower than my right after dislocating it playing baseball. It's not super noticable but if you really looked at my shoulders squared up you can tell.

Just take a half club extra, OG, since you are always swinging uphill :golf:

I'm way worse off. I have 2 substantially shorter legs!

Great, now OG will be using another excuse come the outing.
In all seriousness, I think personally the body adapts to it. ALthough if one is struggling, they do make shoes that would help this issue.

haha I have actually never brought it up and Kelly noticed it last night. My surgeon did tell me, back when I had my knee job at 55 years old, that I would have balance issues. He had to restructure my knee from damage, that I had incurred from playing sports earlier in life. He mentioned after my six week post surgery check-up that I would need some sort of support to keep me from injuring my hip, foot, or incur ankle damage. I just forgot about it after a few weeks. I figured most of my joint pains were from getting older. I always knew I had some sort of balance issues however I thought it was in my head, not in my short leg. :D No excuses for poor play at the outing.:nono: I am already struggling with my game these days so I can only get better at this point. :thumb:

I think it is pretty common. My right leg is about 1" longer than my left. Golf instructor noticed it first and Chiro adjusted for it. In most cases a muscle imbalance or inhibition issue from what I was told.

I think it is pretty common. My right leg is about 1" longer than my left. Golf instructor noticed it first and Chiro adjusted for it. In most cases a muscle imbalance or inhibition issue from what I was told.

That's pretty cool about the golf instructor noticing it first. Was you on the tee working on a particular problem area when he noticed it? I was told not to allow a Chiropractor to work on my knee. I suppose it has something to do about what all was done to it and the metal part that was implanted.

That's pretty cool about the golf instructor noticing it first. Was you on the tee working on a particular problem area when he noticed it? I was told not to allow a Chiropractor to work on my knee. I suppose it has something to do about what all was done to it and the metal part that was implanted.
We working on the setup I think. He looks for this type of thing when he first starts working with someone to see if there are some physical limitations he has to work around or in my case recommend some physical therapy/training. The Chiro had me sit on the table feet out and noticed it also. Did a couple of adjustments, and better. But does seem to go back.

We working on the setup I think. He looks for this type of thing when he first starts working with someone to see if there are some physical limitations he has to work around or in my case recommend some physical therapy/training. The Chiro had me sit on the table feet out and noticed it also. Did a couple of adjustments, and better. But does seem to go back.

You have a sharp pro working with you for sure! I always feel like I am hitting uphill :bulgy-eyes: not to mention I struggle with my foundation/balance. Don't get me wrong as I have shot some really good rounds of golf with this problem, however my wife noticed it for the first time last night. She mentioned some kind of insert for my shoe, that might help elevate my right foot?

Just replace the other knee to even it out!

I don't know how it would affect your swing, but I can attest to back/hip/knee/ankle problems after spending a night with a men's dress shoe that blew out at a wedding I was in. I wanted to take the shoes off, but the crazy bride wanted all the groomsmen to be in shoes for all the photos.

On the positive side, all that going in circles with OG ...

Back