Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

I love a wedge that looks battle tested

Gigantic chunkyresponse here, but that gives me an idea: I should get some pictures of my wedges on here soon, all of them are starting to show rust and I like it!

Im trying to decide on my lofts. Been looking at 50,54,58 but had also pondered 50,55,60 or 50,56,62

Franklin, my iron set right now is the same as you, and I have 50-54-58 in the 588 wedges. The reason I went with that progression is because my full swing gaps are all about 10-15 yards, and the 58 lets me hit any shot I want around the greens. I used to carry a 60 a few years ago, but the 58 lets me hit all of the same shots and makes my full swing gaps better.

Gigantic chunkyresponse here, but that gives me an idea: I should get some pictures of my wedges on here soon, all of them are starting to show rust and I like it!

Please do!

I picked up a set of these last week...a 48, 52, 56. I was playing CG14/16s. Tried them on the course this weekend without going to the range first. I must say they feel great. When you hit them solid it almost feels like you is "no feel"....just a nice smooth strike.

Once I get the distances dialed in I will be in love with them. Just from playing once they don't seem to be as long as the CG14s.

They are a "winner" in my book.

I'm still having some issues getting these dialed in. Freddie pointed out something very interesting when we played on Friday and it's something I am going to go have looked at. He suggested getting on a lie board and thinks I am going to need them bent flatter. If not, I may look at putting a wedge flex shaft in them. I've always hit standard on everything, so it is something I ever considered. Thanks a bunch for taking a look at that Freddie!

Still having issues hitting too close to the heel and my distance control is completely off. Although, I am having better luck around the greens with the chipping.

I'll let you know what I find out when I get them on a lie board.

I'm still having some issues getting these dialed in. Freddie pointed out something very interesting when we played on Friday and it's something I am going to go have looked at. He suggested getting on a lie board and thinks I am going to need them bent flatter. If not, I may look at putting a wedge flex shaft in them. I've always hit standard on everything, so it is something I ever considered. Thanks a bunch for taking a look at that Freddie!

Still having issues hitting too close to the heel and my distance control is completely off. Although, I am having better luck around the greens with the chipping.

what a guy!
best of luck on getting them dialed in biggsy.

these wedges haven't seen the range yet, but have seen plenty of on course action/practice. so i will honestly say that i haven't really dialed in my distances with them as far as exact yardages go, but as far as feel...i'd say i have a really good idea of which club can do what. i'm not to the point yet where i can say, "ok...this club, with this swing, will go 75 yards exactly." i'm more of a feel player and i play that way, trusting my swing and judgement. but we're almost there.

one thing i have been working on is trying to hit the 48* from 100 exactly. i'm not what you'd call a "wedge-crusher", like some people i know. i'm just a little guy, so right now the 48* at full swing is at about 90ish. we'll make it work eventually... i will say that the thing i like most about these wedges, especially that one, is that i can 100% trust them, 100% of the time. i struggled sometimes with my old Vokeys and definitely with my xFTs (especially the 50*). but these wedges DO NOT let me down and that is a great feeling to have on the golf course....because nothing is worse than not trusting a club, but knowing that you need to hit it as part of your game.

per the recent discussion here, i snapped some quick pics last night to show the wear on my 56* wedge. you can definitely tell that this bad boy gets his fair share of usage throughout my rounds whether it be green-side, bunkers, or fairway pitches...

7131565065_decbd63e07_z.jpg

7131565831_616942ac42_z.jpg

i gave them a bath last night and the other two get much less use, so they're in great shape still...but the 56 still looks really good.

I picked up a set of these last week...a 48, 52, 56. I was playing CG14/16s. Tried them on the course this weekend without going to the range first. I must say they feel great. When you hit them solid it almost feels like you is "no feel"....just a nice smooth strike.

Once I get the distances dialed in I will be in love with them. Just from playing once they don't seem to be as long as the CG14s.

They are a "winner" in my book.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts BG, as I'm currently gaming CG16s and had the CG14s before that. I've been thinking about getting a 56˚ 588 custom... Haven't pulled the trigger yet though.

So... With the shaft and length/lie I need, a standard is $170 and a custom is $190 with all of the stuff I want on it. Hmmm...

Question. I have the NS PRO shafts in my CG16s at R-flex, as they're close to the shafts in my irons. If I just wanted to do a 56˚, which I rarely take a full swing with, would I benefit from a different wedge shaft, like a spinner? My gut says to stick with the NS pro as it will keep everything as common as possible, but wanted to ask. Thanks.

Last edited:
I just wondered id others had tried the 6 degree gaps.

So... With the shaft and length/lie I need, a standard is $170 and a custom is $190 with all of the stuff I want on it. Hmmm...

Question. I have the NS PRO shafts in my CG16s at R-flex, as they're close to the shafts in my irons. If I just wanted to do a 56˚, which I rarely take a full swing with, would I benefit from a different wedge shaft, like a spinner? My gut says to stick with the NS pro as it will keep everything as common as possible, but wanted to ask. Thanks.

It depends what ball flight you are looking for out of your wedges. Wedge flex is normally stiffer than many golfers' irons because of the short game shots. The spinner shaft will give you a lower ball flight and might add some spin to it. I prefer the TC (Tour Concept) shaft that Cleveland has in these at standard personally.

I just wondered id others had tried the 6 degree gaps.

Yes sir. I go from a 52* (which I had bent to 50*) to a 56* in my setup. I have zero issues whatsoever. If you're the kind of golfer that can only hit full shots with your wedges, it might be too big of a gap to deal with though. I don't know. I don't play golf like that. I like my 50* from about 115 yards and in and like my 56* from about 85 yards and in.

Nah I can hit half shots and such. I was just thinking the 62 would be so nice to get the ball up and down quick from around the green

It depends what ball flight you are looking for out of your wedges. Wedge flex is normally stiffer than many golfers' irons because of the short game shots. The spinner shaft will give you a lower ball flight and might add some spin to it. I prefer the TC (Tour Concept) shaft that Cleveland has in these at standard personally.

I'm really only looking for a little more spin and maybe a touch lower ball flight. My driver SS was between 97-100 last week, but I'm not sure how much that equates to a club I'll only occasionally be taking full swings with.

I'm really only looking for a little more spin and maybe a touch lower ball flight. My driver SS was between 97-100 last week, but I'm not sure how much that equates to a club I'll only occasionally be taking full swings with.

My guess is the standard TC shaft will work well for you.

My guess is the standard TC shaft will work well for you.

Thanks! I'll likely give that a try if I do order one. Can always swap it out with the NS Pro in my CG16 if I don't like it...

Nice update biggsy, glad you got another set of eyes to help you diagnose the issue you've been seeing.

Played 6 holes today using the 50* as my only wedge since I've been struggling with it, just can't bring the ball down on full shots. What I found today is how much I like that wedge from around the green though. Played a few low shots using a 1/2 or 3/4 swing with great success.

Hoping to get out tomorrow if this god forsaken rain moves out.

I am noticing a bit of a drop off in distance. I used to go 100yards with a 50* on a nice smooth swing, but I am about 90 yards with the 48*. It really does not matter to me. I just need to get used to playing to a different number once I am dialed in with the distances.

so likes we are in the same boat, I had a nice Heel/Hosel session last week with mine, tried to get some video but wasnt successful

Received my BP 54 degree from Blind9 today. Boy is this thing a beauty. Cant wait to play it this weekend.
18bd3f56-f54a-277e.jpg

18bd3f56-f555-9420.jpg

Tap Tap Taparoo

Absolute Beauty there Dev. Congrats.

Dev, that thing is SOOO pretty. Well done. A great purchase. Blind9 delivers again for a THP'er.

That's awesome Dev. It it just me, or does that one have more of a glare than the custom one or even other BP wedges?

Sweet looking 588 like the black.

These just might push out the CG15's I play!!

That's awesome Dev. It it just me, or does that one have more of a glare than the custom one or even other BP wedges?

Havent seen either in person so I really cant compare. I am so happy I decided to go BP on this.

Tap Tap Taparoo

Havent seen either in person so I really cant compare. I am so happy I decided to go BP on this.

Tap Tap Taparoo

I would be too. That looks hella nice. I daresay I'm jealous.

Back