After market shafts vs factory shafts???

fastbasser

Reaction score
Handicap
When a manufacturer uses an after market shaft such as an Adilia or Matrix Ozik, are they the same shafts as you buy from the "specialty" shaft dealers?

Thanks guys.

When a manufacturer uses an after market shaft such as an Adilia or Matrix Ozik, are they the same shafts as you buy from the "specialty" shaft dealers?

Thanks guys.

It depends on the shaft and the company. For instance Bridgestone J40 has the same Project X shaft you would buy aftermarket. However pick up a R11 and you will not have the same Blue shaft that you would buy aftermarket. Although many times the TP line of shafts is the same.

My Kai'li is a TP shaft which is the same as the real shaft just with R11 graphics. My Fubuki's are made for Mizuno versions. Not the real thing. The way I look at a made-for shaft is like fat-free milk. It's still milk, but it's watered down to the point where it's not the real thing anymore. The stock shafts are kind of made to be similar to the real one but not carry the cost.

If this is true, wouldn't that be considered fraud? That would be no different than selling a knock off or copy.. Sounds illegal to me..

Hmmmm

If this is true, wouldn't that be considered fraud? That would be no different than selling a knock off or copy.. Sounds illegal to me..

Hmmmm

No. Not at all. All the shafts that are manufactured differently are first, done so by the shaft maker, not the head company. And second, done so for a multitude of reasons. Some say cost, and I am sure it plays a factor, but the larger factor is having it match the club head better and fit a wider audience off the rack.

If that's the case, it would be the same as going to a car dealership and buying a Buick with Cadillac badges on it.. Still a nice GM car but....... It just sounds extremely "wrong" to me.. No one who buys these are told they are for all intents a lesser quality copy....

If that's the case, it would be the same as going to a car dealership and buying a Buick with Cadillac badges on it.. Still a nice GM car but....... It just sounds extremely "wrong" to me.. No one who buys these are told they are for all intents a lesser quality copy....

I dont think that analogy holds up really. The shaft is clearly stated on it "Made For". Its not always about lesser quality, but a better fit. If one prefers to get a shaft that is the same as an aftermarket model, they have plenty of options such as Cleveland, Bridgestone and others. After market does not necessarily mean better. It means different.

I dont think that analogy holds up really. The shaft is clearly stated on it "Made For". Its not always about lesser quality, but a better fit. If one prefers to get a shaft that is the same as an aftermarket model, they have plenty of options such as Cleveland, Bridgestone and others. After market does not necessarily mean better. It means different.

I for one was told they can be added to a club for less money because Taylor Made buys in extremely large quantities.. It made sense.. We all know 99% of the stuff we buy is marked up triple (or more) it's manufacturing costs..

I agree on all points.

I for one was told they can be added to a club for less money because Taylor Made buys in extremely large quantities.. It made sense.. We all know 99% of the stuff we buy is marked up triple (or more) it's manufacturing costs..

A club markup is neither here nor there really. The head is marked up, but there are no issues. Its really not worth debating here, because you have your mind made up its about fraud or lesser quality. It happens. Fortunately for you there are companies that offer exactly what you are looking for.

A club markup is neither here nor there really. The head is marked up, but there are no issues. Its really not worth debating here, because you have your mind made up its about fraud or lesser quality. It happens. Fortunately for you there are companies that offer exactly what you are looking for.

Nope.. My minds not made up. I just question things that leave openings for discussion. As one of the THP originators, I feel you have been able to get much more manufacturer information than us normal consumers. I thank you for your responses. Facts are good..

Sometimes its the same shaft but the tip is not trimmed which will make the shaft play softer in flex. Most golfers are better off in a lower flex than they believe they should be in.

Back