TheNewBrad

Who's ya caddy?
Reaction score
Handicap
Deceptive
I'd better apologise up front for all of those devotees of reality TV who I'm about to offend.

But I find reality TV so formulaic. Basically the TV networks get a bunch of people together in a house (office/igloo/whatever) like a human rat experiment & then encourage conflict & confrontation between the participants. Then in a complete double standard, although encouraging conflict (because conflict attracts ratings) they disapprove of any flow-on violence. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating violence. :beat-up: What I am highlighting is that the makers of these show (in encouraging confrontation) encourage the most hurtful insults and vile behaviour. This behaviour can be more damaging than some physical confrontations. The producers of these shows seem to totally ignore that verbal abuse can emotionally scar. In keeping with the formula of reality TV, they encourage younger participants obviously hoping that their conflict resolution skills might not have developed yet.

I've heard reality TV described as like the wreckage of a car crash "should look away but find it hard to".

Well, that's the end of my first rant. :pissed-off: Hopefully, there won't be too many more. Golf's much more interesting. :banana:

The networks love reality tv strictly based on cost. They offer prize money and very little pay other than that. No unions like SAG to deal with. One episode of a show like CSI costs the same as an entire season of some reality shows. In the end, its all about the dollars.

The networks love reality tv strictly based on cost. They offer prize money and very little pay other than that. No unions like SAG to deal with. One episode of a show like CSI costs the same as an entire season of some reality shows. In the end, its all about the dollars.

A 'low cost' & profitable rat experiment on film?

[pardon my sarcasm - meant for the networks]

THe networks are not nonprofit organizations. They will go with whatever makes the most money. Unfortunately it means reality tv.

I'm with Brad. Won't watch it. For instance, TGC stuff--I want to watch golf. Not invented nonsense, not fake conflict. Heck, I won't watch sellavision (a/k/a infomercials) either.

I did sit through the PBS series "Manor House" some years back, because I was genuinely interested in the reality of "below stairs." But even that one was all fake conflict. The web site was far more interesting.

Brad - you forgot the "typical casting protocol:"

1. One extremely attractive yet dippy woman
2. One slightly less attractive yet sweeter and smarter woman. Preferably from somewhere like Wisconsin or Kansas.
3. One extremely attractive meat head guy with anger issues. His goal is to hook up with #1. And he will.
4. One slightly less attractive guy with the MYSTERIOUS vibe
5. One bigger woman to try to make it look like we're not following a casting protocol
6. One unconventional parent ("I got three kids but I'm still cool!")
7. One older guy with the wisdom of the world. Preferably Asian.
8. One ethnic girl with attitude. Preferably Black.

(The list goes on...I should so cast for these shows! Hey Claire, you busy?)

Heck, I won't watch sellavision (a/k/a infomercials) either.

The Hammer is the best fiction on TCG!

I can only watch so much "reality" tv before it gets to me. Did anyone watch "Baby Borrowers"?

2. One slightly less attractive yet sweeter and smarter woman. Preferably from somewhere like Wisconsin or Kansas.
3. One extremely attractive meat head guy with anger issues. His goal is to hook up with #1. And he will.
5. One bigger woman to try to make it look like we're not following a casting protocol

(The list goes on...I should so cast for these shows! Hey Claire, you busy?)

Ok so here's the cast
#1 & #2 Julie & Fiona (you two can fight over who gets to be the dippy one)
#3 Smallville
#4 Me
#5 Still Looking
#6 Claire
#7 JB or Hacker :confused2:
#8 Still Looking

Last edited:
Yes, we watched Baby Borrowers. We won't watch BB2 if it happens.

I like being the slick dude that's gonna get the chick. I almost feel like Ozzy! And if you don't watch Survivor, you won't get that one. I have an issue with the meat head part but if I get the girl I can live with it!

Yes, we watched Baby Borrowers. We won't watch BB2 if it happens.

I like being the slick dude that's gonna get the chick. I almost feel like Ozzy! And if you don't watch Survivor, you won't get that one. I have an issue with the meat head part but if I get the girl I can live with it!

I don't think there will be a second one. I think most people were pretty ticked off with the first one.

I'll be the meat head if you want to be the one with the Mysterious vibe. :banana: I don't watch Survivor so I don't get that one. I tried watching the first couple season's then it just got too complicated and I gave up. I can't believe that show is still on.

I could also do the cool parent, if we need Fiona for #1 or #2. Just so I get to make lots of wisecracks.

I could also do the cool parent, if we need Fiona for #1 or #2. Just so I get to make lots of wisecracks.

That's exactly what I was thinking of you for! I'd watch the Claire show. :act-up:

How could I forget her. I guess her and Julie would have to decide who got to be the dippy one. I changed the casting.

I'll be the meat head if you want to be the one with the Mysterious vibe. :banana:

Ummm, why is there so many things I have to have no comment on? And this one is sooooo easy. But I'll just keep quiet!

Actually if Claire is deflecting to be the cool parent, I guess I should be the older wise guy (note I didn't say the guy with wisdom!) since I'm the oldest guy who posts halfway regularly around here.

Ummm, why is there so many things I have to have no comment on? And this one is sooooo easy. But I'll just keep quiet!

Actually if Claire is deflecting to be the cool parent, I guess I should be the older wise guy (note I didn't say the guy with wisdom!) since I'm the oldest guy who posts halfway regularly around here.

Hmmm.... I think anymore I just need to keep quiet. Everyone is picking on me now. :sad:

Hmmm.... I think anymore I just need to keep quiet. Everyone is picking on me now. :sad:

It's ok, I have no idea what Smallville is getting at, either! :wink:

Bogey? You might want to read between the lines on that! I definitely wasn't picking on you . . . I'd elaborate more but I gotta keep my no comment . If anyone wants to help out, be my guest! I'm trying to be good too!

That's okay; I'm feeling very dippy right now.

Face it, we are all just too good to be a reality show. Yeah--that's it. :D

Bogey? You might want to read between the lines on that! I definitely wasn't picking on you . . . I'd elaborate more but I gotta keep my no comment . If anyone wants to help out, be my guest! I'm trying to be good too!

I think I understand. :banana: :wink:

Top stuff Julie. ... and there's always one that is prone to bursting into tears when one of the others is mean to him/her. Typically it could be the slightly less attractive guy bursting into tears because he never got to eat strawberry ice cream when he was growing up or the bigger woman because the kids at school used to tease her ...

It's liable to end up in a group hug or a split group because the ethnic girl with attitude gives the slightly less attractive guy a piece of her mind about how she thinks his tears are only crocodile tears to get out of doing the dishes & then the group divides into those who support the slightly less attractive guy or the ethnic girl with attitude.

Then right at that stage, I realise I've been duped by the network into wasting 60 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.

... oh, and also there's liable to be one or two participants with really stupid hard to spell/pronounce names (probably the hot chick).

Amen brother!

... oh, and also there's liable to be one or two participants with really stupid hard to spell/pronounce names (probably the hot chick).

Right, her name is preferably normal but spelled funny, like Kelli or Jinnifer or Ll...

oh crap.

Amen brother!

Right, her name is preferably normal but spelled funny, like Kelli or Jinnifer or Ll...

oh crap.

Exactly what I meant. Imagine if we went on it. You could be Jooleey & I could be Bradde.

How could I forget her. I guess her and Julie would have to decide who got to be the dippy one. I changed the casting.

I've been kicked out of the show before we even made the pilot...how embarrassing!

How about if I'm the high maintenance hot princess who wears a tiara, tosses her hair all day and says stupid things all the time [aka Jessica Simpson "Are buffalo wings made from real buffalo?"]. While all the guys run around doing everything for me (which they secretly hate) because they think they might have a chance with me (they don't but I keep leading them on so I don't have to do work/chores).

I always find there's one of those types on these shows - they give us girls a bad rep.

Back