JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have often wondered why people have multiple putters. I do not mean the collectors, that is different. By why do people keep different putters to play? Some argue that depending on the course they would want a different configuration. But all teachers seem to say that it would be counter productive to your putting stroke. So my question is directed to the people that purchase multiple putters, what are the reasons behind it?

I have often wondered why people have multiple putters. I do not mean the collectors, that is different. By why do people keep different putters to play? Some argue that depending on the course they would want a different configuration. But all teachers seem to say that it would be counter productive to your putting stroke. So my question is directed to the people that purchase multiple putters, what are the reasons behind it?

ah depends... I somewhat disagree with it being counter productive if you do it the right way.

for example... I have a TEI3 blade which weighs around 340 grams. This is perfect for fast greens but I struggle getting it to the hole on slower greens. For this fact, I not have the Yaupon which comes in at 355 grams and helps me with speed issues on slower greens. For your average public player, this is a common issue... you can get invited to a member guest and putt on greens stimped at 11 and then the next weekend you're back at your old muni on 8 greens. Now, if you're a member somewhere you should really stick to one putter.. thats where you can get dicey messing with things. But for those of us that jump from course to course... you need different tools for different conditions

• Admin
David Edel said when we spoke to him that it would be counter productive unless all the putters are aligned the same way. So that is what I was basing it on. That and the local teaching pros.

but more on that... it's mainly the reason why I vary my putters. I wouldnt go out and buy another blade... it's important to have what you need and be functional at the same time

I have multiple putters because I can't leave well enough alone...

To be cool.

I used the same putter for years. Bought a nice putter this summer, love dit. One bad round, mad I bought a putter at the pro shop...that started my insanity! I now have around 25 putters (about half are inexspensive old beat Pings). I am trying to find what I really like.

The end of summer, it was great. I would setup before I left the house and if one didn't feel right or my swing was odd that day, I could keep trying until one felt right for that day. Putting is feel?

Past few months became an addiction, now it is over! Just a few more I want to try (Seemore and Sunset Beach), then I'll make my decision on what one is going to be #1 this spring. I think I already know, that Circa 62 #2 I refinished. Feels right and good.

Second place is likely to be the Rife Barbados, ANYTIME i pick that up it feels great, but I haven't got to actually use it on a course yet.

That's my story, like or or hate it, it is my story and I stick by it.

To be cool.

I used the same putter for years. Bought a nice putter this summer, love dit. One bad round, mad I bought a putter at the pro shop...that started my insanity! I now have around 25 putters (about half are inexspensive old beat Pings). I am trying to find what I really like.

The end of summer, it was great. I would setup before I left the house and if one didn't feel right or my swing was odd that day, I could keep trying until one felt right for that day. Putting is feel?

Past few months became an addiction, now it is over! Just a few more I want to try (Seemore and Sunset Beach), then I'll make my decision on what one is going to be #1 this spring. I think I already know, that Circa 62 #2 I refinished. Feels right and good.

Second place is likely to be the Rife Barbados, ANYTIME i pick that up it feels great, but I haven't got to actually use it on a course yet.

That's my story, like or or hate it, it is my story and I stick by it.

I feel ya
I'm addicted too.
Unloading all my pings but 1 and only keeping milled putters except for some old spalding tp mills and some old acushnet bullseyes

Reason?
I don't think reason comes into play.That's the problem.

Duh. Because sometimes you have to teach one of your putters a lesson when it is misbehaving.

You know, show the misbehaving putter the other putter that will be going in your bag, roll a few putts on the carpet with the other putter while it's in the corner, put the other putter in the bag right before you put the misbehaving putter in the closet . . .

I never go back once I get a new putter.

I drool over the MACHINE putters, but argh so pricey, but innovative and beautiful!

Duh. Because sometimes you have to teach one of your putters a lesson when it is misbehaving.

You know, show the misbehaving putter the other putter that will be going in your bag, roll a few putts on the carpet with the other putter while it's in the corner, put the other putter in the bag right before you put the misbehaving putter in the closet . . .

That's right Harry
tough love

Same here, but it makes it real hard when trying to get a new one, I never seem to give the others a chance...

Yep, treat her right and shell stay with you forever.

I like having a heavier putter head for slow greens & a lighter one for fast greens, so instead of carrying multiple putters all I have to do is swap out the weights in my Tourismo & adjust it for the days greens.

I could never figure it out either.:shock:....:wink:

Last edited:
i have always kept one putter at a time, like a gaming putter. there is just a certain level of trust, even when my putting isnt that great

I just don't want to put any more wear on the slotline I bought in 85 for $10 from a buddy who ran a pawn shop.That putter was awesome compared to whatever my dad handed down to me.I guess I'll always be a putter ho cause of that putter changing my luck.I keep looking for another with the right mojo.

I have mallets and blades b/c I tend to do better with the mallets on slower greens and use the baldes on faster ones. The weight difference helps me with the mallets weighing more. My only problem is that I always see that special new putter that will save my game. I guess I am hoping my game is somewhere in a box or on a store shelf. I am the same way with irons. I am really trying this year to limit my putters to just two; one blade and one mallet. Dont know if I can do it but the first step is acknowledging you cant control yourself....right.

I am the opposite. I like a heavier putter for faster greens. It is easier to stay steady on short putts with a heavier head.

I have a bad habit of seeing a putter on Ebay and buying it because its inexpensive just to see if Id like it.
Right now Ive got my Mizzie TPM #5, Ping J-blade and Ive got an older heel-shafted Mizuno blade putter right now.
Why do I have all those putters? No real reason. I guess Im just a club ho. When spring gets here, the Ping J-blade will most likely go back up on Ebay and it will be a choice between which Mizuno putter I want.

Back