Which type of putter.

hartattack52

High School Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been struggling with my putting lately. My speed is great, but either my alignment is off or I am not hitting the putt where I am aiming. I notice that with my Nike Method 001, the club face wants to open up (right handed). This causes me to miss putts to the right. My stroke is also no that smooth. It is kinda wobbly. Is there a certain type or style of putter that could fix this? My stoke is straight back and straight through. Not gated or anything.
Thanks.

Well with that type of stroke and what you are describing, I would think a face balanced putter would work great for you. I know it has changed my game for the better. Give a bunch a try and see if you like any.

I would recommend an Odyssey two ball. They are great for alignment. Also, check out the SeeMore putters with the RST technology. I know that has helped alot of people here on THP. Me, I have the Nike Method CORE 001 and I love it. Maybe you should just have your local pro look at it?

BulldogsGolf

Thanks both of you. I have an odyssey 2 ball and don't like it. I will try some face balanced putters though.

I switched to an Odyssey putter that is similar in appearance to the one Phil Mickelson uses. I liked the look and decided to give it a try.

The putter feels lighter than the ones I've previously used. I also began to sink more putts when I leaned the shaft forward, as Phil does.

Maybe try leaning the shaft forward? This technique also works with the putters the guys in my foursome use, mostly blades.

What about a backstryke? I found the putting stroke to be incredibly smooth with that thing..

Or try the new ghost spider by TaylorMade.. I can't imagine that not helping to create a smoother stroke, and I think both these options come center shafted which should keep everything neutral.

What about a backstryke.

They are truely the Do-do birds of the putting world. While they encourage forward press.....they are just awkward IMO. You might like them though hart. To each their own.

To piggy back on what Canadan said... SBST strokes tend to do better with face balanced putters. Face balance putters tend to primarily be full mallets (there are some mid mallets and rarely blades that are face balanced but real hard to find).

Out of the current lineup out there I like the Ghost Spider best. There's a center shafted model available which is completely neutral (in my tests I'm actually preferring the flow neck one). What is it about the 2-ball that you didn't like (feel/insert, weighting, looks, etc. and please be honest)?

try the taylormade vicino

To piggy back on what Canadan said... SBST strokes tend to do better with face balanced putters. Face balance putters tend to primarily be full mallets (there are some mid mallets and rarely blades that are face balanced but real hard to find).

Out of the current lineup out there I like the Ghost Spider best. There's a center shafted model available which is completely neutral (in my tests I'm actually preferring the flow neck one). What is it about the 2-ball that you didn't like (feel/insert, weighting, looks, etc. and please be honest)?
I just don't have a good feel for it. My speed is always off with it. I just don't feel comfortable standing over it.

Well with that type of stroke and what you are describing, I would think a face balanced putter would work great for you. I know it has changed my game for the better. Give a bunch a try and see if you like any.
I am going to look into a face balanced putter. Thanks

They are truely the Do-do birds of the putting world. While they encourage forward press.....they are just awkward IMO. You might like them though hart. To each their own.

There is no question they are strange, or awkward or whatever, but if you putt with one long enough I am sure it would get less and less 'awkward'.... I'm more of a small mallet/blade guy, yet I've thrown around the idea of getting a bigger putter to practice with, like the corza ghost, the ghost spider, or the backstryke... There's plenty of logic in them as long as you get over your opinion on what a putter is supposed to look like haha!

Is the taylormade tour ghost 770 or 880 face balanced?

Is the taylormade tour ghost 770 or 880 face balanced?

The 770 is face balanced, as is the Corza Ghost and the Spider.

EDIT: The EST 770 is what I play with now and I love it. I do also have my eye on the Ghost Spider however.

The Corza ghost is one bad Mamma jamma of a putter....that is all....

I just don't have a good feel for it. My speed is always off with it. I just don't feel comfortable standing over it.

If you feel that way about the 2Ball then I doubt you'll like any of the Odyssey's then since the Backstryke's, Darts, and their face balanced ones have relatively the same insert.

I used to strictly be a blade guy as well and lately with the Spider it has opened my eyes to gaming a full mallet. Whatever makes the ball go into the hole right?

If you feel that way about the 2Ball then I doubt you'll like any of the Odyssey's then since the Backstryke's, Darts, and their face balanced ones have relatively the same insert.

I used to strictly be a blade guy as well and lately with the Spider it has opened my eyes to gaming a full mallet. Whatever makes the ball go into the hole right?
That is all I want. I don't care what type it is. As long as I drain putts.

If you have a wobbly stroke there isnt a putter in the world that is going to help you. Working on your putting stroke instead of wasting money on new clubs.

I have a Cleveland classic 3 which is heel weighted but i putt straight back and straight through. Works very well for me. I followed the Dave pelz putting bible strategy and phils latest DVD for advice and forward press style. Works well or me.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.294767,-75.678055

Is the odyssey white ice #7 face balanced? I can't find if it is or not online.

Back