Cobra AMP Driver Review

PLayed my first round last night with the Amp offset driver. Results on the course were just as the launch monitor suggested - straightened out my fade/slice. HIt all baby draws with one little fade thrown in. Couldn't be happier for a first date with a new driver. Only oddity was the sound - sounded about like a 3 wood - very quiet. Only knock is that it doesn't seem quite as long based on landmarks on the course I usually drive to ... but it's extremely wet right now & am getting no roll at all - we'll see on that, but glad to be keeping it in the short grass consistently.
I didn't notice the sound. Interesting.

I am seeing the same thing with distance. My reaction is that golfers are a funny lot. For the better part of a year I've been saying I just want to get set up with a fairway finder, that I'm so tired of being in the muck right. Here we have it and I start noticing that it isn't as long. It is hard to be happy, I guess :)

How are you treating my driver Frank?

I wouldn't get hung up on the weight. You hit the ball very nicely with it last month.

Exactly. The shaft feels great!

How are you treating my driver Frank?

We have been getting along quite well, thanks for letting me borrow her.

you should B Asha frank's AMP

As much as I wanted to be a tester I really don't want to mess with the perfection that is, the Amp Driver.

As much as I wanted to be a tester I really don't want to mess with the perfection that is, the Amp Driver.

AMP drivers are acceptable to hit on par 3's. I like that

You know, I bet the AMP + B Asha would be pretty damn good. Glad Nate is going to try it for us.

You know, I bet the AMP + B Asha would be pretty damn good. Glad Nate is going to try it for us.

Yea I agree. Could be a legit combo

I continue to be blown away by the AMP, it's really hard to believe that it can be approved upon.

Have one in the way...higher loft than normal for me. Should be fun.

LtEvO TaPpEd

Nice Jesse! Good to see that you are off to a good start with your Amp!

I was able to get out twice this weekend (thanks to the Horns play on Saturday) and was very much looking forward to this driver on the course. I warmed up a bit with it on the range Friday and was hitting them great! I'm coming from a R11 10.5 degree driver and was already hitting the Amp 10.5 degree driver a good bit higher than the R11. I usually tee my balls up higher with the R11 so was doing the same starting off on the Amp. So I lowered the tee a bit which helped in bringing down the ball flight a bit for me. It was actually a very pleasant surprise! It was then time to head out to the course.

I started off hitting the first 8 fairways in a row! I had so much confidence standing on the tee with this thing. I then got to one tee box where I just didn't feel comfortable on and snapped the drive to the left. Then the next drive I killed the ball and hit it too far down the fairway and into the water just through the fairway. After, I hit the next 4 perfect to end the round. A very solid 12 of 14 fairways hit with sold drives! I was estatic to say the least. I ended the round with a 75 and had a ton of missed putts or I could have gone lower. It was a great round for me.

The next day we got back out and had another good day with the Amp. A front was coming in so the wind was kicking up and blowing a good 10-20mph with guests 25mph+. A good test for me and the Amp. Hit the first 2 fairways with great drives then pulled my 3rd one to the left again. Started teeing my balls down a bit more when hitting into the wind and got amazingly good results with my ball flight, a low to mid flight. Downwind I would tee it up a bit higher and let it ride. Ended the day hitting the last 7 fairways and a total of 10 out of 12 fairways. Not much I could find wrong with that esp. with the wind conditions.

Impressions:
I really like the soft grey crown on the driver. Looks great up against the ball. I am really surprised in how easy I was able to get the Amp up in flight. I've always been a low to mid driver flight type and it was great to see the higher ball flight. I might try and get that down a tad, but I mean only a tad, because I really like where it is at. I may adjust the AFT to an open face to see if that helps. Or may just keep teeing the ball down a bit lower to help that out. Either way, that was my only small thing to work out. I loved the feel of the driver when hit. Didn't feel as "hard" as the R11 did. My 2 bad missed were both to the left. Nothing to compain about. I was 22 of 26 in fairways for the 2 rounds and couldn't be happier. Me and the Amp are off to a very fast love affair. Now lets see if we can maintain it.....I have high hopes!

Very nice write up Nate, impressive results man!!

Nice results Nate! Those are some impressive Fairway numbers

Those are some stellar numbers Nate and a good start to your new relationship with the AMP. What shaft did you go with again?

Those are some stellar numbers Nate and a good start to your new relationship with the AMP. What shaft did you go with again?
It's just the stock RIP shaft. Since I'll be doing the Miyazaki B. Asha testing very soon I will get some numbers on that RIP shaft before the Asha gets put in. But it felt great actually.

Nate with the AMP love. I like it, buddy!

Sounds like he has been killing it

Very nice, Nate!

I went to the range this morning. I spent the first 60 balls or so simulating play on my home course. In other words, I only hit the driver every so often, just as I would if I were playing. After adjusting for temperature, range balls and moisture, every ball but one would have been in or very near the fairway about 245-250 out. I was extremely impressed with the ability to hit this club straight.

After getting through my simulated 18 holes I had about 15 balls left, so I just hit driver. Here is where things got a little interesting for me and I'm going to revise some of my prior statements comparing this club to the G20, saying the AMP isn't as forgiving. The balls that were in the condition adjusted 245-250 range were not hit in the middle of the club face. I have an inside swing and tend to hit the ball on the heel, producing a push/fade. I was hitting it there with the AMP and getting a high very gentle fade. By gentle fade I mean the ball might start right at or a few degrees left of target and end up a few degrees right of target. A few times I hit the ball high and just slightly toward the toe. These were also in the condition adjusted 245ish range and moved the same amount as the heel shots, but this time right to left. To say it more clearly: these were my misses. Because I suck I really only hit 1 of the 15 flush in the middle of the club. The result was a straight as an arrow bomb (for me), condition adjusted estimate of 275-280.

So...hit it off the heel, find the fairway a little right of center about 245 out. Hit it high and toward the toe, find the fairway a little left of center about 245 out. Hit the ball in the middle of the club face, find the center of the fairway about 275 out. Love'n me some AMP.

It's just the stock RIP shaft. Since I'll be doing the Miyazaki B. Asha testing very soon I will get some numbers on that RIP shaft before the Asha gets put in. But it felt great actually.
Im with you, I thought it was a good shaft too. I bet the B Asha will be good in it though.

Im with you, I thought it was a good shaft too. I bet the B Asha will be good in it though.

I was worried it might be wippy, but quite the opposite, I lost a few a bit right but the misses were not terrible and still put me in the fairway.

I was worried it might be wippy, but quite the opposite, I lost a few a bit right but the misses were not terrible and still put me in the fairway.
I played a pretty consistent power fade with the AMP all day that I used it. I sure didnt lose any to the snapper like I do on occasion now. And totally off topic and unrelated, you need to stop making avatar bets, lol.

I played a pretty consistent power fade with the AMP all day that I used it. I sure didnt lose any to the snapper like I do on occasion now. And totally off topic and unrelated, you need to stop making avatar bets, lol.

Yea, I'm done. Lesson learned.

I got close to Dave's distance once or twice today with the AMP, which is huge for me.

I really had a slow start with the driver today. Some of the changes I made with the rest of clubs didn't pay off with the driver and it took me a good 3 or 4 holes to get things going but after that I was hitting the ball much more consistently. I think I regularly in the 240 range, off the tee which is great for me, on a well struck shot. Definitely hung, 1 or 2, out to the right, once I was hitting it better.

I love the TaylorMade white, but I am rather hesitant for the gray. Seems like clubs nowadays are all about standing out in looks instead of performance.

Back