Where do you line up or tee it up?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
When playing a draw, fade or straight ball. What part of the tee box do you peg you ball? Does it matter to you? Do you believe it's the left side for a draw and right side for the fade?

I only try to play the straight ball so I typically just try to find a nice flat spot on the tee box. Exception would be if accounting for wind or if there was a tree, etc that caused me to move to one side.

Good topic. For me it does not matter. I play the ball position differently in my stance for ball flight and then its an aim point of some sort to play the shot I want to play.

I play a draw. Always right half of the tee box.

When playing a draw, fade or straight ball. What part of the tee box do you peg you ball? Does it matter to you? Do you believe it's the left side for a draw and right side for the fade?

Typically, I play the side that I want to start the ball on because I can just set up straight. I don't like setting up at an angle if I can avoid it.

I play a straight ball so the most important thing for me is to just make sure I am lined up properly with the layout of the course especially if there is a portion of the fairway I am aiming for or if there is a hazard I am trying to avoid.

I probably think about this more than most. Like you said if its a perfectly straight hole with nothing else to think about, I will go right side for fade or left for draw. But many times I will choose the side that gives me the best angle to get around the dogleg, or avoid a hazard or OB line.

I play the "controlled power fade" (<-- new term :D).

Therefor I line up on the right side of the teebox and aim for the left side of the fairway (righty). This way it should come into the middle of the fairway, if the fade is not there, hopefully the ball will end up on the left side of the fairway and if the fade is out of control, hopefully it won't be too far off the right side of the fairway.

Im usually middle or middle left, and thats only because my miss tends to be more times than not to the right

Freddie - care to share what the 'right' thing to do is and why? From a teachers perspective, that is.

I'm generally most comfortable teeing it up on the extreme left side of the tee markers. I'll change depending on the situation though.

It really depends on the hole for me, if it's a dogleg left i'm on the right side trying to hit a draw but if it's a dogleg right i'm on the right side sometimes too trying to hit a cut lol. It really depends on the visual from the box.

Off the tee, I tee it up on the right side of the tee box. Since I hit a cut, I line up down the left side of the fairway and let it fall back.

Where the heck do you get all these good topic to discuss? Good stuff. I was thinking about this the other day on the tee because of many factors. Here is what goes through my head.

First - Tee box. How many times have we all played a box where it sloped or had spots of no grass or sand fills? So depending on the box, I'll move to a good section where I think my footing will be fine. But let's assume the box is good to go..........

Second - I like to play a cut so I do tend to favor the right side of a box. For a draw I tend to favor the middle. Don't like the left side unless I have room right.

Third - But if there is trouble on the left side of the fairway and a bit wider on the right side of the fairway, I'll tee up more on the middle or even left side of the box.

Fourth - Feel. Take all those factors into consideration and after my head has processed it in about 2 seconds time.....I go where I feel the most comfortable and let it rip.

I generally try to find the flattest place on the tee box to tee it up. I like to be level when I'm swinging the driver if I can. I'm usually going for straight. If I have a fade for some reason or I'm fighting the rights, I might line up on the right side and aim for the left edge. When I'm on a roll though, I just pick a spot in the middle of the fairway, point & shoot (doesn't always go perfect...). If there's an obstacle, obviously that plays into it a little bit. However, off the tee, that's pretty rare at the courses I play.

I'm generally most comfortable teeing it up on the extreme left side of the tee markers. I'll change depending on the situation though.

I agree with this statement. First, I tend to draw the ball, although I started working the ball straighter, and sometimes a fade towards the end of this year. Second, I don't know why, but i feel like I may hit something behind me if I'm on the far left side (I'm right handed). Maybe it's not logical, but it's in my head.

~Rock

I generally line up on the left side, because I have a little draw. I don't play well enough to work the ball. I might line up in the center or more to the right if there are trees or something. Or if the only flat spot is on the right. I'll only try to fade the ball if the fairway has a severe slope from right to left.

I normally hit a draw off the tee so I usually set up on the far left side.

However, I cannot stand an uneven tee box so if the left side is sloped, I will move toward the middle.

what my PGA instructor always taught me was if I play a fade to tee up on the right side of the tee box because that way if I do hit a fade or god forbid a slice, I have more fairway to work with, most slicers assume the opposite-tee up on the left-but in fact that doesn't help, it makes it harder to work with a fade or a slice-per my golf instructor.

I tend to aim too far right for some reason, and my buddy always has to remind me of my aim, so I feel like I aim more to the left of my target-I'm actually lined up with my target

Unless one side of the hole is close, I just tee it up where I can find a relatively flat spot (a big problem on my course).

this is actually what I play, my release is a bit too late and I tend to hit a power fade, but when my release and timing are correct, and I make sure to keep my lower body in front of the upper, I can hit straight.

But I tend to tee up on the right in case
I play the "controlled power fade" (<-- new term :D).

Therefor I line up on the right side of the teebox and aim for the left side of the fairway (righty). This way it should come into the middle of the fairway, if the fade is not there, hopefully the ball will end up on the left side of the fairway and if the fade is out of control, hopefully it won't be too far off the right side of the fairway.

Freddie - care to share what the 'right' thing to do is and why? From a teachers perspective, that is.
Conventional teaching woul say left side of tee box for a draw and right side for a fade. The thinking is that it will open the hole up more. If you try to play a draw from the right side it brings more trouble into play as the ball has to travel right then left to find its intended target.

But this is a rule of thumb, som course will dictate the opposite. But if you move the ball off the tee, picking the proper side can be the difference between a good score and a 'I should have played that hole differently' thought process as you walk to the cart.

Conventional teaching woul say left side of tee box for a draw and right side for a fade. The thinking is that it will open the hole up more. If you try to play a draw from the right side it brings more trouble into play as the ball has to travel right then left to find its intended target.

But this is a rule of thumb, som course will dictate the opposite. But if you move the ball off the tee, picking the proper side can be the difference between a good score and a 'I should have played that hole differently' thought process as you walk to the cart.

thanks, for the tip Freddie, great thread

For me it doesn't matter which side, as long as it's flat. I tend to pick the side which is away from the hazard. If there's a problem with the tee & fairway alignment and you don't know where to aim, I try to pick a place where I get the easiest aim.

My home course has a whole lot of trouble along the left, and I am just now learning how to draw the ball, so I usually tee it up to the left and aim for the right side of the fairway and pray for the best! Worst-case scenario is that it stays straight and I'm still in play.

Back