"Newbie" from Hawaii

jshiver15

Reaction score
Handicap
I've kind of skimmed around these boards for a while but never registered until yesterday. Pretty cool place, I have to say.

I'm in the Air Force and stationed in Hawaii. Will be here for another 349 more days (can't wait to leave). Just ready to move on to bigger and better things (trust me, it's mostly job related, but I am getting a bit of island fever).

Oh . . and the emoticons here rule!! :alien2::banana::starwars:

Welcome to THP js.

Welcome JShiver and thank you for your service!

Oh yeah, and I can see how you would get tired of Hawaii. :laughing:

Welcome JShiver and thank you for your service!

Oh yeah, and I can see how you would get tired of Hawaii. :laughing:

Hehe, I know how it could sound bad that I'm tired of this place. But I've been here for 2 years already and the vacation experience has long worn off. I've done just about everything I've wanted to do here and I've gone to most of the islands. But there are things about not being on an island that I really miss (lack of traffic for one and better roads to drive on, lol).

But I will miss the year round golf. I will really miss that.

Welcome to THP! Maybe you can answer this question--why are there interstate highways in Hawai'i? (Okay, I know the answer--:pig:--but I love the question.)

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP jshiver.

Hehe, I know how it could sound bad that I'm tired of this place. But I've been here for 2 years already and the vacation experience has long worn off. I've done just about everything I've wanted to do here and I've gone to most of the islands. But there are things about not being on an island that I really miss (lack of traffic for one and better roads to drive on, lol).

But I will miss the year round golf. I will really miss that.

My Grandmother lived in Hawaii twice, 3 yrs both times, my uncle was Navy. She said she loved it there but missed the 4 seasons of the year. I suppose paradise becomes a lesser paradise when you have to live with all the stuff tourists never face for more than a few weeks at a time.

Oh yeah, welcome aboard. Nice to get you scratch players on the forum!

Welcome JShiver! I've spent about 15 years of my life in Hawaii, on Oahu. My father served in the Navy for 20 years. All those years living in Hawaii, I only played golf twice there - well after I moved away!

I've played at Kapolei and New Ewa Beach. I really liked Kapolei, but New Ewa Beach was so-so IMO. What's your favorite course on Oahu?

What's your favorite course on Oahu?

It is kind of hard to say because a lot of them are awesome for different reasons. Coral Creek is my favorite for the money, it's a nice course with an interesting set-up and only costs me $30. Kapoeli is a really nice course, as well. Ko'olau may be the best as far as scenery.

But over-all, I would have to go with Ko'olina. I think it's in the best shape of any courses out here (including Turtle Bay's courses).

Welcome!!! Glad to have you! I'm finally making the big trip to Hawaii in a week and a half. Staying on Maui though. Obviously, besides golf, anything that I should go do? Thinking I may learn to surf :)

Welcome!!! Glad to have you! I'm finally making the big trip to Hawaii in a week and a half. Staying on Maui though. Obviously, besides golf, anything that I should go do? Thinking I may learn to surf :)

drink lots of drinks with umbrellas in them?

:welcome:

I'm in the Air Force and stationed in Hawaii. Will be here for another 349 more days (can't wait to leave). Just ready to move on to bigger and better things (trust me, it's mostly job related, but I am getting a bit of island fever).

That's basically what the military wives we talked to on the plane going over there a few years ago told us. They said in three years you are ready to get out! Their thing was that you couldn't get away from the water! I don't know if THAT would bother me so much, but it would be strange not to be able to drive to another state! I would still love to live their myself; I think it would be easier for me since most of my relatives from my mom's side still live there.

Welcome to the forum,thanks for your service.Bet your glad your not stationed in Guam.I was in both places on my way to Vietnam,didn't get to see much of the island though.Only 347 more days

Welcome and thanks!

Welcome to THP! It's hard for me to imagine anyone getting tired of Hawaii, buut, I suppose anything's possible! :) I spent 2 years over in England and I felt like I was just getting warmed up when I had to go...

Back