Analyze my swing pro favor!

Nothing I could see at first glance, took a better look and saw your left elbow sort of getting away from your body too far at impact, might wanna tuck it in just a fraction of a bit, it'll help you from getting stuck. Good swing though, head position was pretty disciplined which is something I'm jealous of. :D

Nothing I could see at first glance, took a better look and saw your left elbow sort of getting away from your body too far at impact, might wanna tuck it in just a fraction of a bit, it'll help you from getting stuck. Good swing though, head position was pretty disciplined which is something I'm jealous of. :D

You're right. At times I do feel a little stuck. Thanks BigCountry, I'll work on that next time I'm out there. Thanks for the feedback.

Backswing doesn't look all that bad, but you cast the club from almost the start of your downswing. That leads to you flipping at the bottom instead of having the hands in front of the ball at impact, which then makes you "chicken-wing" the left arm on the way through. You can mainly see this on the face on view, look at the angle between the club shaft and your left arm when your arms are at "9 o'clock" and you'll see what I mean, you lose a lot of that angle as compared to the top of your backswing. You can create the feeling of having your hands forward by first hitting little chip shots only focusing on having your hands in front of the ball at impact, and then start to take longer swings from there. Getting a Tour Striker is also very good for this.

Here's a drill that you can do at home as well, apologies for the cheesy music:

Nowhere near a pro, but since you're asking:

1st video - really wide stance...casting the club on downswing (unhingeing wrists very early)...hands and left elbow really close to body after contact
2nd - would like a straighter spine at address...would like your hands higher at back of backswing

Looks pretty good. Very jealous of you followthrough balance. My best drives involve me falling away from the ball. Irons are fine. Weird. Good luck!

Backswing doesn't look all that bad, but you cast the club from almost the start of your downswing. That leads to you flipping at the bottom instead of having the hands in front of the ball at impact, which then makes you "chicken-wing" the left arm on the way through. You can mainly see this on the face on view, look at the angle between the club shaft and your left arm when your arms are at "9 o'clock" and you'll see what I mean, you lose a lot of that angle as compared to the top of your backswing. You can create the feeling of having your hands forward by first hitting little chip shots only focusing on having your hands in front of the ball at impact, and then start to take longer swings from there. Getting a Tour Striker is also very good for this.

Here's a drill that you can do at home as well, apologies for the cheesy music:

Thanks Ary. Do you think at address, I should press my hands more forward? Do you think that would create more lag on the bottom?
By the way, this video is awesome! short but really can help me.

Nowhere near a pro, but since you're asking:

1st video - really wide stance...casting the club on downswing (unhingeing wrists very early)...hands and left elbow really close to body after contact
2nd - would like a straighter spine at address...would like your hands higher at back of backswing

Looks pretty good. Very jealous of you followthrough balance. My best drives involve me falling away from the ball. Irons are fine. Weird. Good luck!

Thanks for breaking it down for me oiler. Man, I got a lot to work on!

You guys are 100% right about the casting though. That 6 iron goes 150-155 tops. I think with some more lag, I should hit it a little further. Thanks for all your tips guys, it means a lot.
Speaking of casting... I need to go fishing. It's been awhile.

Thanks Ary. Do you think at address, I should press my hands more forward? Do you think that would create more lag on the bottom?

I'm not a pro or anywhere close to it, but I think your hand position at setup is fine on both views. Setting up with your hands forward is probably not going to help you feel the hands forward at impact because you throw the club from the top. Seriously, at the top of your backswing on the face-on view, the angle is great! You need to initiate the downswing with the lower body instead of throwing the club from the top.

I'm not a pro or anywhere close to it, but I think your hand position at setup is fine on both views. Setting up with your hands forward is probably not going to help you feel the hands forward at impact because you throw the club from the top. Seriously, at the top of your backswing on the face-on view, the angle is great! You need to initiate the downswing with the lower body instead of throwing the club from the top.

Gotcha. Looking at my swing on top (face view), I always thought that I had a 75% backswing but Holy hell, it's more like 60%. No wonder I don't hit it as far.

The worry that I have is that I might lose some accuracy. My FIR and GIR are up there at a happy percentage right now. I hope I don't lose that.

Gotcha. Looking at my swing on top (face view), I always thought that I had a 75% backswing but Holy hell, it's more like 60%. No wonder I don't hit it as far.

Again, the backswing isn't your big issue. You have just about a 90-degree shoulder turn, which is fine. Why you don't hit the ball very far is because you waste a ton of stored energy prior to impact and you're adding loft to the club at impact.

63a87c59-1094-503a.jpg

This frame shows how far out in front of the ball you are before the club is even at your hip. You also cast the club immediately upon the down swing. Due to the initial move into the ball, you have hand cuffed yourself and have to chicken wing it our block dead right or even shank you very much.
63a87c59-112a-fcb8.jpg

This position is a direct result of what I spoke about in the previous frame. You have no room to work and are dependent on brut strength to get any power out of the swing.
63a87c59-1194-a9e0.jpg

Solid setup, except for the right shoulder being out in front of your lines. Drop or move your shoulder back so that it is square to your intended target. This should match your toes, knees and hips
63a87c59-1245-9184.jpg

This is the top of your backswing. Your right leg should still be flexed. This is shorten your swing and stop the reverse 'C' you have at the top, meaning your weight is on your leftside.
63a87c59-12cb-d223.jpg

Your arms are way past your body. You always want to keep the arms in front of your chest. Due to the cast from the top
Of your swing the arms are outracing your body. Your right hip is also late to
the party.
Try to work behind and on top of the ball. You are currently working in front of and over the bottom. This means you have to hang back a bit to compensate for being so far out in front.

Work on the right leg flex, right shoulder and hold the angle created with the hands and the club as long as humanly posibble.

Again, the backswing isn't your big issue. You have just about a 90-degree shoulder turn, which is fine. Why you don't hit the ball very far is because you waste a ton of stored energy prior to impact and you're adding loft to the club at impact.

I'm doing that drill on the video as we speak/type. You're 100% right. I feel very flippy with my hands on the bottom before the contact.

63a87c59-1094-503a.jpg

This frame shows how far out in front of the ball you are before the club is even at your hip. You also cast the club immediately upon the down swing. Due to the initial move into the ball, you have hand cuffed yourself and have to chicken wing it our block dead right or even shank you very much.
63a87c59-112a-fcb8.jpg

This position is a direct result of what I spoke about in the previous frame. You have no room to work and are dependent on brut strength to get any power out of the swing.
63a87c59-1194-a9e0.jpg

Solid setup, except for the right shoulder being out in front of your lines. Drop or move your shoulder back so that it is square to your intended target. This should match your toes, knees and hips
63a87c59-1245-9184.jpg

This is the top of your backswing. Your right leg should still be flexed. This is shorten your swing and stop the reverse 'C' you have at the top, meaning your weight is on your leftside.
63a87c59-12cb-d223.jpg

Your arms are way past your body. You always want to keep the arms in front of your chest. Due to the cast from the top
Of your swing the arms are outracing your body. Your right hip is also late to
the party.
Try to work behind and on top of the ball. You are currently working in front of and over the bottom. This means you have to hang back a bit to compensate for being so far out in front.

Work on the right leg flex, right shoulder and hold the angle created with the hands and the club as long as humanly posibble.

Now that's breaking it down. Thank you so much Tadashi. It's a lot for me to work on at once but I WILL try my best. Wow... this is awesome! I'm beyond stoked how much feedbacks I'm getting.

Work on the right leg first and the right shoulder. Get used to that feeling first. That will fix a great deal.

Work on the right leg first and the right shoulder. Get used to that feeling first. That will fix a great deal.

On the right leg, before my swing starts, it's locked. Should I start bent?

On the right leg, before my swing starts, it's locked. Should I start bent?

Both of your knees should be bent at setup. If you've ever played any other sports, think about how you would set up as an infielder in baseball, a defensive back in football, or while playing defense in basketball. You would set up with a slight knee bend in both legs to help with balance. So it makes sense for you to bend your knees on the setup. Tom Watson talks about it here: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2011-03/tom-watson-posture

This is going to kick my butt for a long time but it's going to be worth every moment.

Last edited:
Back