jmatt

Fat b4 the shafts were
Reaction score
Handicap
horrific
Heard this on the news this morning. A professor at the local University has come up with the iPerfectPutt app (sadly, for iPhone / iPod with accelerometer only).

He's got a site for it - http://www.iperfectputt.com/ and there's a video demo here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypCLD4rOvyU

I lack the iDevice to try this, but could anyone take a look and compare this to something like the iPing app? Is this really something new? And would the ability to see how your stroke varies really help or just be too much information? Putting being my major downfall, I'm tempted to take the iPlunge and give this a try.

Sure thing. Just downloaded it, I'll put it in the cradle tonight and see how it holds up.

Curious at how this works out! They officially launched the app at my home course yesterday!

I guess I'm confused on how this would work without it connected to your putter in any way?

I guess I'm confused on how this would work without it connected to your putter in any way?

With the Ping cradle if I'm not mistaken...

Ill download it and try it tonight!

Yeah, they recommend the iPing cradle specifically. I'd imagine there are others out there as well.
I do like the idea of showing how a stroke has deviated from a pendulum stroke, but I'm largely SBST. I'd think someone with a lot of arc might find they wanted to use one of their own strokes as reference, but that's not included in the free download.

Should help someone like me who tends to wave the putter around a lot develop some consistency, though. Not that a thousand other drills won't, but this could give me a quality excuse to go buy a shiny toy...which is nice.

i'll give it a go tonight! Looks intriguing.

Gives essentially the same data as the iping app, but has better visual depictions.

Cost is 15 bucks tho where the iping app is free.

2 questions:

1. Do you need to have a Ping Putter to use the Ping Cradel

2. How much is the Cradel?

Thanks

2 questions:

1. Do you need to have a Ping Putter to use the Ping Cradel

2. How much is the Cradel?

Thanks

1. No absolutely not, its just like a cell phone case with a little piece that snaps onto the shaft of your putter.

2. I think it was like 30 bucks

1. No absolutely not, its just like a cell phone case with a little piece that snaps onto the shaft of your putter.

2. I think it was like 30 bucks

Sweet dude thanks! I'll pick one up tomorrow :)

I have the iPing Putter app with the cradle I bought through Golf Town and love it...I heard about this app debuting at Royal Oaks but I was out of town this week and only got back so I wasn't able to attend. I might try it but not sure how it will improve from the feedback already given by the iPing app which is free?

I have the iPing Putter app with the cradle I bought through Golf Town and love it...I heard about this app debuting at Royal Oaks but I was out of town this week and only got back so I wasn't able to attend. I might try it but not sure how it will improve from the feedback already given by the iPing app which is free?

It benefits people who may have difficulty interpreting statistics or just don't want to. It essentially translates the data into a 2D map. It has some other stuff like audio that will beep or something when you come to far off your swing plain and things like that.

I opted not to get it personally, maybe I will if they develop some additional features for it, but to me it does not offer $15 of value more than the iping app. At least not yet it doesn't. But I can definitely see where some could use the sound alerts or enjoy the graphs rather than numbers.

But I you can always download the app for free - the costs are features inside the app, you can read about them before you buy them and determin if its something you would want or not.

Exactly CapC, I'm just not sure as it stands right now the product given is worth its valuation. The iPing app is basic but it focal points are Stroke Type, Impact Angle, and tempo which correctly if I'm wrong but are key elements to becoming great with the flat stick?

I'm a bit disappointed if this is just iPing with groovy graphics, certainly the article in the local paper suggested it was something new. Maybe there's some subtlety I'm missing, but how do you claim it's unique and in the next breath recommend the use of a cradle meant for an app that does very much the same, and first?

Ah, maybe I'll get an iThingy and try them both. I could get stereo confirmation that I'm a bad putter.

Full disclosure: I am the programmer who worked with the professor to implement the iPerfectPutt app for iPhone/iPod.

I'll clarify some of the questions/issues raised about the app.

- Yes, the iDevice needs to be mounted to the putter. The iPing Cradle is recommended. The app is not intended to be used "bare handed" without a putter.

- The free basic iPerfectPutt app, without any in-app purchases, provides similar features to the free iPing app: Tempo measurements and clubface angle at impact. While the basic iPerfectPutt does not give the stroke type, it does provide the following free additional features not offered by iPing:
- Adjustable metronome
- "Weight of the putt" measurements (estimated clubhead speed at impact and extent of the backswing)
- Swing plane deviation at impact (i.e. off-center hits)
- No need to hit an actual ball

Everything you see in the "Stats" analysis page screenshot is provided with the free basic iPerfectPutt.

With the Graphs or Simulations in-app purchase, you can visualize the entire stroke and see for yourself if your stroke type is an arc or straight, The graphs/simulation can also help you spot problem areas in the stroke before impact. iPerfectPutt measures both the swing plane (shaft inclination) and clubface angle at each instant of your stroke, whereas (to my knowledge) iPing only measures the clubface angle.

iPerfectPutt's novelty (when fully upgraded) comes in the exhaustiveness of its measurements, detailed visual presentation, custom reference strokes, metronome, and realtime auditory feedback. To my knowledge, no other motion sensor based golf training app combines so many features.

Sorry, this post was intended as a clarification, but it ended up looking more like a sales pitch. :D I'll check back here from time to time in case further clarifications are needed. I'll be interested to see user's feedback/suggestions and I'll forward them on to the professor.

DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this message are my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of iPerfectPutt's owner(s).

That is pretty cool the developer posted here. Sounds like some crazy calculations that are going into it.

Back