Pitch-n-Putt courses

Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
I have never been a fan of the "pitch-n-putt" type courses because in my mind it's not "real golf" and you only get to use a couple of clubs. Well today I had a couple of hours to kill and I went to a local course that has a great practice facility and when I got there I decided to play the pitch-n-putt course. It consists of 6 holes, the longest hole being 95 yards, and the green fee is $5 and that is as much as you can play all day. I have to say, it was FUN! The greens are very small so it actually presented a decent challenge to consistenly score par or better. I found myself trying to hit creative shots, knock down shots, lobs, etc... I played the 6 holes a few times and I feel like it was not only a lot of fun but also great short game practice. I think I will incorporate this into my practice routine more often.

Do you play these types of courses? If not, why?

I play a local executive course from time-to-time. It's actually a really nice little 9-hole course - it's in fantastic shape and part of a really nice facility. Definitely a fun way to practice. And it's a cheap way to hit some meaningful golf shots.

I like them as a midweek tune up or when you are short on time. There is one about two miles from my house and you can get around in less than an hour and a half or less most of the time. It is a great alternative to beating balls IMO.

Can be great practice and a challenge.

Never seen a course that short but there is a local course her that is fairly short (6 3's and 3 4's) that you can walk cheaply and I would much rather do than hit range balls

I play a local Par 3 and it is great for fine tuning wedge shots. I usually never use anything lower than a 9 iron.

I learned how to play on a Par 3, longest hole of 143yards. Most holes 92-100yards. Mostly small greens. Toughest hole on the course is 133 with the tiniest peanut-like green, sand to the left, big hill drop off to the right and it is at the far corner of the course, where one large street T-bones into another large street which the hole parallels. I've hooked a few over the fence a few times - I always wait for a break in traffic or a red light!!

I play mine about once a week same deal 9 holes longest is 125 yards. And I do the same thing usually play 2 balls and make myself play a different shot with both balls. Or use different clubs. Really has helped my short game tremendously. Best thing is usually even when there are 50 people at the range there's no one on the chip and putt course.

We are fortunate in that the place we have a season pass at has an 18 hole "Championship" course, and "The Wee 9"....a pretty cool executive course. It has 4 par 3's and 5 par 4's. longest hole is 330yards, and shortest is about 100. Lots of variety, yet very beginner friendly. Only has one bunker, but the greens are small, with some great spots with a lot of break in them. A couple of driveable par 4's, so even a beginner has the chance to get there in 2. No water, and pretty open for the most part. And I think it's $14 to play it all day.

On slow days I ride around my course and just play the par 3s over and over again. Out of the five of them I still suck and usually only hit one of them each round (and I hit it every time).

There is a local public course here that has a 9 hole par 3, with the longest hole playing about 140 from the blues. There is another hole that can play 125, but I think everything else is 110 or less. Its a great place for some short game practice, because they maintain the greens to the same level as the championship course, which is quite nice. If you mix up the tees a little, you can practice a wide variety of shots. I will go out there when it isn't busy if I am trying out new wedges or balls.

BUT, it costs $14 to play 9 holes (kids play for much cheaper). I understand why it costs so much, since they maintain the greens so well, but its too steep to make it a regular part of my practice. I have no misgivings about playing 2 or 3 balls per hole when I do play it.

I have one if these courses near me but the "tee boxes" are range mats. I am not a mat fan.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

My favorite here is a little pitch and putt where the longest hole is 130 yd. Most of it is shorter than that and as it is very mature and well treed there is some added challenge as on several holes you can't just hit the shot you want because of the overhanging trees. It makes you use some imagination in getting the ball to the hole.
There are several others around that are fun and challenging as well. I like playing pitch an putts to help get my short game shaped up.

They are great for practicing your irons. The one near me is 9 holes and the longest hole is 190 yards and shortest is ~100 yards.

I also find they are great in the summer if you leave work at 6pm and want to squeeze in some practice before dark.

Ther is one about 30 miles from me that has 2 par 4's ( both about 325) and 7 par 3's from 95 yards to 210 yards and it's lighted and open till 10 pm...I really should go play it more often.

I have one if these courses near me but the "tee boxes" are range mats. I am not a mat fan.

Not a fan of the mats either

I reckon I'm pretty lucky to have this place close to me

http://www.stpar3.com/

It's not really a pitch n' putt per se, but a lovely 18 hole executive course. I don't play it too often but I love to focus on my iron game there about once a month. It's incredible value as it costs around $10-$15 to walk all you want to. The greens are small so it really forces you to be accurate but they might be some of the nicest rolling greens in the area. Kind of a hidden gem if I'm being honest. The guy who owns it and maintains it knows wtf he's doing as well, so that helps. He keeps his greens cut short and they run fast, real fast sometimes. You can hit just about every iron in your bag at some point, so that's nice.

My course has a great little executive course. It's not quite a pitch-n-putt, but I'd say half the holes are 90-100 yards, about 1/4 ~150, and the last few ~300. I play it quite often with just putter, 55° wedge, and an 8i. Rarely do I want for anything else. It's great for short game practice, and I have to say it's a lot of fun to be hitting so many GIR. Plus the greens are pretty good so it's good for short game practice, and you can play 36 holes in about 2-3 hrs depending on how many people are around.

P.S. Our course has one dying green, and I asked why they didn't take a few parts off the bigger executive greens to fix it, and they admitted they make much more money off it so don't want to anger the people who primarily use it.

Not a fan of the mats either
We had one around here that had mats for tee boxes. Simple solution. Chip off the mats and then hit to the green.

Mine has mats for tee boxes but I refuse to hit off of them. I just place my ball in the fairway or rough depending on what shot I wanna try and hit it from there right next to the tee box mats. They are cool with it and anyone there actually trying to practice usually do the same.

There is a great little pitch-n-putt very close to where I live. It's the first course I ever played when I was 12 years old. Other than the teeing areas, it is well maintained. The lousy tee boxes are not necessarily bad - they provide a good opportunity to practice hitting shots off of hardpan. Otherwise, I just drop a few yards ahead (when I'm just practicing, of course) and hit out of better turf. The greens are pretty small, so it makes for a decent short-game test. They also have a great big practice green and practice chipping area. All it lacks are bunkers. I plan to spend quite a bit of time there this season.

There is a great pitch-n-putt type course where I used to live. Arcadia par 3 course. 18 holes shortest hole 80ish if i remember and the longest 150ish. You hit off mats but the the greens are small. I played there elevently billion times and really developed a great short game because of it. Overall it really helped my short game. They even had lights so you could play night golf. I am pretty good chipper because of all that practice at that place even with most rounds involving mass quantities of adult beverages. I'm happy to know that i was able to shoot even par there a few times, cant say that about full size courses.

Right across the fence from LA Country Club is the Armand Hammer Pony Course. 18 holes of true pitch and putt in a public park in a wealthy enclave.

http://www.golf.lacity.org/cdp_holmby.htm

Right from grass to little grass 'greens', and I think the longest hole is about 70 yards. $6 on the weekends. I haven't played it, but I did walk around the park one morning with my dogs while my wife was at a nearby doctor.

Another nearby 3 par has 18 holes with small, mounded greens that don't hold a shot worth a damn. Longest hole is 170 yards, and there are mats on 3/4 of the tee boxes. $12 will get you around. Mats aren't bad when new, but when they are threadbare almost to the concrete I cannot stand them. It has some bunkers, and is a nice walk.

I made my rounds on one of these a couple times in late winter/early spring. Longest was 85 yards I think. Lots of fun. There is also what they call an executive 9 near my mom's house in Minnesota. I think there is one par 4, but the rest are par 3's, both short and long.

There is a fun short course in East Naples that I've been frequenting a lot lately to get over my aversion to par 3's. 4 short par 4's on the front and 3 on the backside, none of which are long so you take long iron or fairway wood off the tee if you decide so. The greens are small but very soft and even slower especially if you play at night and the dew falls. A very fun way to practice or just go out and play for fun with some buddies after work.

Back