Grogger31

Swing hard, just in case
Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone here participate in (or run) a PGA golf pool? If so, I'm curious what the format of the pool is. Thanks guys and gals!

Does anyone here participate in (or run) a PGA golf pool? If so, I'm curious what the format of the pool is. Thanks guys and gals!

I am in one... The guy that does it holds it for majors and bigger tournaments. Here is the link for the British Open.

http://2008tigerless.blogspot.com/2008/08/harrington-wins-3rd-major-in-13-months.html

When they come around next year I will be sure to give everyone a heads up. Its only 25 bucks to enter... the more people in it... the more money to be won.

I used to run a Fantasy League. You'd draft 20 guys and play 12, keeping it under like $10 million. Results were based on money won, so you'd total up the winnings of all your guys for the week. This was back in the day when normal tournaments paid $180,000 to the winner. $300,000 was a huge winner's share. This was middle to late '90s.

I am in one... The guy that does it holds it for majors and bigger tournaments. Here is the link for the British Open.

I looked at it but couldn't find how to pick the teams? Do you pick one guy per group (each group having 4 or 5 golfers) or are they assigned values and you have to keep the total under a salary cap?

Looked interesting. How many places paid out?

I looked at it but couldn't find how to pick the teams? Do you pick one guy per group (each group having 4 or 5 golfers) or are they assigned values and you have to keep the total under a salary cap?

Looked interesting. How many places paid out?

Here are the official rules from last year... he has been known to tweak them though so there may be some minor changes next year.

How To Complete An Entry Form:

Select a team of 8 players from The PGA Championship Field (listed on the left). Your team must be made up of players based upon the following criteria:

- 2 different players from Group A ( World Ranking 2-11)
- 3 different players from Group B ( World Ranking 12-30)
- 3 different players from Group C ( Rest of the field)

Scoring: Thursday & Friday (1st and 2nd Rounds)

5 points is awarded to every golfer who shoots the Low Round of the Day (LRD). Every chosen golfer in our pool will be compared to the LRD, and will earn points based on how far behind the LRD they were for the day. The LRD can, and sometimes does, come from a golfer who nobody has picked.

Scoring: Saturday & Sunday (3rd and Final Rounds)

The LRD is the LRD of any PICKED player, not from the entire field. This should make the final rounds a little more exciting - so no matter who actually shoots the lowest score of the final two rounds, for our scoring purposes, we'll only be comparing the scores of players chosn in our pool - this means, that at least one player will receive 5 points for that round.

Example: If the LRD is 2-over par, then every golfer who shoots 2-over would receive 5 points, 3-over would get 4 points, 4-over would get 3 points, 5-over would get 2 points, 6-over would get 1 point and every other score would get 0 points. So, to earn points, your golfers must shoot a score within 4 strokes of the Low Round for the Day.

3 Bonus Points will be awarded to each player making the cut.

8 Bonus Points will be awarded to the actual winner of the Tournament.
5 Bonus Points will be awarded to 2nd place (and all ties for 2nd place).
3 Bonus Points will be awarded to 3rd place (and all ties for 3rd place).
2 Bonus Points will be awarded to 4th place (and all ties for 4th place).
1 Bonus Point will be awarded to 5th place (and all ties for 5th place).

Ties: Ties will be broken based on the entry with the most players who make the cut; if still tied, the shares affected will be split.

Scoring Updates: I will be posting scoring updates at http://2008tigerless.blogspot.com. Please be sure to include your phone number and e-mail address on your entry form to be updated.

SPECIAL NOTES:

1. Multiple entries are welcome.
2. Your picks are not officially entered into the pool until we receive your entry fee. Entry fee must be received or postmarked by Thursday, August 7th, 2008.
3. Payment can be Paypal, cash or check. Check must be made out to "CASH". Any checks made out to "The Administrator" will not be accepted and your entry not activated in the pool.
4. Include a copy of your entry sheet with your payment.
5. Entries will be turned off if we do not receive your entry fee in time. Yes even if you are in the money. So send your entry fee to us before the tournament starts.
6. Deadlines are firm!! (If you know me, feel free to call me if you are having a problem, I may let you slide for a day :)
7. The Administrator will play one entry for free.
8. Mailing Addresses for The Administrator:
Max Rose, 627 Forest Ave., River Forest, IL, 60305
Email Address: max_rose@sbcglobal.net
Void where prohibited.

Good info, Tin. Thanks man!

Anybody else? I'm trying to gather as much info as I can about popular golf pool formats (other than Fantasy golf, really).

Thanks.

TinCup -

Looks like a nice format. I find it odd the Administrator gets a free entry? I've never seen that done before. And I've run several.

Overall though it looks like something we could do here for bragging rights if someone wanted to take it on.

The reason I ask is that I own a website that does sports pool hosting (I won't give the URL here as this is not an attempt advertise it). I'm looking to start a PGA Pool management system for that service (probably for all 4 majors including cumulative standings) and I'm looking for a format that might be most widely adopted.

Obviously when I get this going, I'll be happy to host a pool for THP members at no charge.

The reason I ask is that I own a website that does sports pool hosting (I won't give the URL here as this is not an attempt advertise it). I'm looking to start a PGA Pool management system for that service (probably for all 4 majors including cumulative standings) and I'm looking for a format that might be most widely adopted.

Obviously when I get this going, I'll be happy to host a pool for THP members at no charge.

From what I have seen... people receive points for strokes under par, cut bonus, win bonus, low round and strokes in relation to low round. If you wanted to devise something that is modeled after that it should work.

That's really interesting, because all the ones I had looked at in the past went by total score to par round over round, which is how I have been designing it (also with fewer bonuses).

But all good food for thought ...

Back