Trying To Break 90 Club

Some great tales in here and thought I'd join in as I'm starting to target 90 (which I would never have thought of at the start of the season but I've been making good progress).
I've had a couple of casual rounds at 90 and a couple in the 80's but haven't managed it in competition yet so that's my next goal. I had a comp round couple of weeks ago where I was +10 after the first three holes but did the back 9 in 42 so I know I've got sub 90 in me, just need to get it out!

Main issues to date 1 - Distance and 2 - striking (but there have been others).

1 - My driver and I fell out months ago so I've been playing 3w off the tee which too often leaves me another 3w or 4h which is too long to hit greens consistently for me. I'm not a big hitter anyway but have been working on it and am getting longer but still a bit to go. Because of this, I've been reintroducing the driver and it's making a real difference, with the new found length, I'm now getting to having 5 and 6 iron approaches where I was having 3w before. I think this will help me a lot.

2 - I've been having a fair few duffs per rounds, tops, fluffs, quitting on shots, shanks, head up type stuff. I played 9 holes with two balls today and didn't mishit once which has never happened so have a bit of confidence going into the comp tomorrow. There was still poor shots but no disasters.

Target now is every green in 3, with putts, hopefully pick up a couple. I think this gives me the best chance of scoring without beating myself up not getting GIRs and pars.

Let's see how it works out... :)

I did it again this morning with a 49 39 88

My first nine under 40!

I did it again this morning with a 49 39 88

My first nine under 40!

Now imagine a 39, 39 round!!! Get there:)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

After not seeing anything under 90 for quite a while, I was so close today. I should have switched to GI irons a long time ago. With the switch, my distances are 2 clubs different, but I adjusted pretty well after the first 9 holes. I just took 2 clubs less on every shot. I could have broken 90 easily, but on hole 18 I was more interested in trying out my new 4 iron than hitting a club that I was comfortable with. I had no idea what my score was up to this point and only realized that if I would have just hit a club that I knew I could hit, I would have broken 90 again... My putting could have been a lot better as well, I lipped out quite a few today that would have probably dropped any other day.

Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Another very solid round for me today which saw me shoot one of my best rounds of golf for the last two or three years today. 40/44 - playing off 18.9 handicap.

I made the turn just 3 over par gross which is something I am particularly pleased with, and had it not been for raining coming in for the last 3 or 4 holes I fear I could have made it in to the high 70's today. Still really chuffed with todays round, feel like I've struck a real balance with just about every club in my bag at the moment.

Didn't quite do it today, had two stupid triples (caused by topped tee shot and topped 3w) and a horrible 9 that came from hitting into a water hazard that I usually lay up in front off but today, the lay up shot just connected and went further than ever before.

I't's good I can pinpoint where the cost came from, the rest of the round was pretty satisfactory.

Rough day today. 97 (52/45) Had a nice stretch in the middle with 5 pars, but otherwise it wasn't a very good day. Couldn't hit a green if I was more than 20 yards from it. Very frustrating to crush a drive 290+yds down the middle of the fairway only to put the second shot into a greenside bunker lol. Think that's gonna be the focus of this weeks practice. Been spending most of my time simply on tee shots and longer irons and have been ignoring the shots under 100yds. It certainly shows.

I took the driver out of the bag today and moved up to a set of tees that measure 5800 yards instead of the 6300 I typically play and I smashed the 90 barrier with an 85. Hit 9 fairways and 5 greens and had 33 putts. This game is so much easier from the short grass.

I'm officially in the club. Moving down from the break 100 club, been in the mid 90's a few times now and it's only a matter of time now to break 90. Goal is to have an 8X on the board before winter.

Shot a salty 96 yesterday. Was nine over on 17 & 18... :banghead: Got into some trouble on 17 that just rattled me and I wasn't able to put it behind me. I guess it's a good thing that I expect to shoot lower now though. Helps with the confidence. I just know that I have the ability to shoot better scores. Funny thing is I would have been ok with a 96 a month & a half ago.

I got in 11 holes before dark and was only 7 over. Was pretty happy with how I played. 2 holes on the course which almost always give me trouble definitely did today. Was 4 over on those 2 holes, which is actually lower than usual. The rest was either par or single bogeys.

Shot an 88 the other day for my first time ever breaking 90. 45 on the front and 43 on the back @ Lancaster Country Club here in WI.

Two of the biggest things that got me there - 1) I've been learning to keep my right shoulder back instead of turning it so quick on my drives. I've lost some distance, but I keep the ball in the middle of the fairway more (My slice is legendary). My long irons have been solid all summer so if I keep it in the short grass I was having no problems getting getting par or 1 over on the Par 4's and 5's. I'm hoping that I can get some of the distance back when I dont' have to think about my swing so much - and I'm used to keep my shoulder back.

2) I was lucky enough to win one of the Callaway MD2 wedges in the "Celebrating Phil's Win" giveaway here at THP. That wedge is amazing. It was my first time on the course with it in the bag and I'd grab that thing instead of my normal pitching wedge and I hit everything close to the pin from 30 to 50 yds in. Even when I bladed one ball on the 9th hole - it hit the flag stick and dropped within ten feet. I know a lot of guys that use their sand wedges on the edge of the greens and now I understand why. This club just feels good around the green.

Obviously I think luck played into some of the shots, but it feels pretty good to finally get close to playing decent golf. Now on to breaking 80.

Congrats on the PB Nappy!

48,42 90 today. Front nine was a mess but I was glad to get it together in the back. Need to work on avoiding stupid shots then I will be in the mod to low 80s

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

Chipping and Putting practice allowed me to break 90 the last 4 rounds. 88, 85, 85, 89.

I only hit 1 GIR on the last two rounds, so my ball striking is obviously not a strong part of my game, but I've been averaging 6 pars per round by just being able to chip and putt better. I am going to have to improve that ball striking if I want to get into the 70s though. Working on that hard now.

I had an 83 this week. GIRs wasn't a strength either, but my chipping was decent and my putting was quite good (27 putts).

Almost managed to finish a round today before the thunderstorms rolled in. Not sure if I would have broke 90, 47 on the front and 28 after 6 on the back. Would have been close, since I usually do pretty good on the last 3 holes at that course. 2 penaltys on tee shots, and a mystery disappearing ball on the back didn't help. Hate it when the happens. See the ball land and roll, walk over and it nowhere to be found......oh well. Hope tomorrow is somewhat dry.......

Congrats, Nappy!

Only got 16 in today, got chased off by rain and lightning. Played ok, was 18 over after 16. Had a lot of makeable putts for par, but couldn't get anything to drop. Seem to struggle with wet greens, found myself playing way more break. Only one penalty stroke, pulled a drive and put it in the water.

Played 18 today with Kim at Olde Point Country Club in Hampstead NC. Due to a men's tourney they were starting everyone on the back. From the first few holes it felt right today. Pars and bogeys with a double bogey thrown in on 16 left me with a 43 on the back. A storm came up on 18 and we had to sit for 30 mins or so before playing the front. Started out slow with a bogey-double-double then settled in for a few holes. Finished strong with a par-par-bogey for a front nine 46.

My second sub 90 round. It was a very good day... :)

Tommy

Played 18 today with Kim at Olde Point Country Club in Hampstead NC. Due to a men's tourney they were starting everyone on the back. From the first few holes it felt right today. Pars and bogeys with a double bogey thrown in on 16 left me with a 43 on the back. A storm came up on 18 and we had to sit for 30 mins or so before playing the front. Started out slow with a bogey-double-double then settled in for a few holes. Finished strong with a par-par-bogey for a front nine 46.

My second sub 90 round. It was a very good day... :)

Tommy

Congrats!!!

Grrr. 40 on the front 9 and a 51 on the back 9. Two killer holes. 10 on one par 5, the other par 5 I hit a 301y drive and had a 207y 5 iron to the green. Pulled it to the woods and carded a 7. Oh well.

Grrr. 40 on the front 9 and a 51 on the back 9. Two killer holes. 10 on one par 5, the other par 5 I hit a 301y drive and had a 207y 5 iron to the green. Pulled it to the woods and carded a 7. Oh well.

What if you had hit wedge-wedge instead of the 5-iron? What score would have been likely?

Back