The Official Rant of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
The battery in the riding mower died today.

Had to push mow.

I hope you didn't have to push mow the riding lawn mower...

Me too man. These middle schoolers are punks. I know I wasn't easy at that age and it seems like these kids just don't care EVER!

No respect for authority is the cool thing to do these days....

No respect for authority is the cool thing to do these days....

Sure is and with the no child left behind law in California, these kids know that it doesn't matter if they do there work or pass there test they'll move to high school. So they just don't care.

No she doesn't, but Carrie Underwood has taken her place, so I think all might be right in the world again.

Carrie underwood makes everything all right in my world.

This thread is making me want pie, and I don't mean the frozen pizza that I'm eating.

I want some pie. It pizza.

Hitting a few balls at work this evening, and I felt a twinge in my right elbow on the last swing. It is now swollen and getting quite sore.

Man up. We have golf to play in 2 days

Not me...I will NOT be attending a JT concert unless he decides to take me golfing first, on his bill. This would just be her and her sister, as far as I know.

Go with them to Denver (not on the VIP package) and you play golf while they get all the JT they can handle - metaphorically of course.

Man up. We have golf to play in 2 days

My brother said the same damn thing. He even added "wuss". Clearly you two were NFL trainers pre-year 2000.

We dont do that nonsense in hockey. We just play the national anthem and kill each other.

Sometimes we even play two national anthems and then kill each other.

My brother said the same damn thing. He even added "wuss". Clearly you two were NFL trainers pre-year 2000.

Fine. I will get you your own cart and you can drive back and forth supplying beer to everyone.

Fine. I will get you your own cart and you can drive back and forth supplying beer to everyone.

Feeling better after some meds and ice. Hopefully just minor. I'll play one-armed with THPers this weekend if I have to.

Feeling better after some meds and ice. Hopefully just minor. I'll play one-armed with THPers this weekend if I have to.

I'm just messin with ya buddy. I'm glad it's feeling better though. Take it easy tomorrow

I knew this would stir the pot and be an unpopular stand. I believe there are many that would be proud of just one chance to shine. Just one chance at any of "Main Events" of a lifetime. I'm just saying pass around the opportunity to more people. I would feel terrible if I had been in the Morgan Cup and the King came up and I was in that too. I'm not saying anything has ever been fixed. I do think some people who are very lucky, take advantage of their good fortune where others would love just one chance.

Bill,

I've got a couple of opinions:

1) Overall I think JB and GG and whatever judging panels there are do a good job of mixing "newbies" with "old timers." That's appreciated - the events should not become an "old boys club." (No offense to the Old Coots Group) They also would lack something if every event was nothing but new faces every time.

2) I don't know what the criteria are for selection to the major events. But any way you select them, there's advantages or disadvantages. Do you select a person that's been on THP for all of a week, has 2 posts and gives no feeling they'd ever go so far as to post a recap? Or do you limit selection to only those who have "paid their dues" and let it become an old boys club? Even there, there's danger. There are long-time THP members who have been selected for major events that are no longer here. As I understand it, there are former Morgan Cup participants that basically got their gear and bolted. How do you guard against that?

Personally, I don't feel a completely random selection is the solution. There's too many downsides.

3) As for those of us who have been to a major event, what's the half-life of not entering anything else? Do we have to wait 6 months? A year? Until all the deserving people who have not been in a major event get into one? Who decides who the list of deserving people are? If I enter something 3 years from now and get selected, is someone going to give me crap for it?

4) Again, I don't know the selection methodology. But it's my hope that Josh and Morgan perhaps divide up the entries into multiple groups such as "veteran, previously selected," "long time poster never selected," "typical poster, never selected," "new poster" and then do a random drawing from within those groups, perhaps giving certain groups more draws than others. I think that's the only way that's fair to the membership, and to Josh and Morgan who work so hard.

5) Since I've been in the Morgan Cup, I struggle greatly every time I enter another contest. I've stayed out of a LOT of contests since being selected for the Morgan Cup. I didn't even apply for any of the club testing outings, and I didn't try for most of the gear in the holiday contest.

But some events are just too awesome not to enter. The Granddaddy? The King? Those are so freaking cool, it's hard not to enter. Especially since I'd feel like an idiot if there are repeat-major-event folks selected and I didn't enter. If other repeat people are going to enter, should I be the only one that doesn't enter? Should I not enter "Love is in the Air?" Should I not enter the SeeMore event, which is in my home town?

Again, what's the criteria on how I decide? What if I don't enter any of those events to give my favorite 5 posters a chance who haven't been in one. Then none get selected and the next year, 3 of them have disappeared. Did I do any them any service? I honestly don't know the right answer to this question.

I certainly understand your viewpoint and I know there's lots of people who have not been as fortunate as I. I try to be sensitive to that. I try to only enter things selectively and be a good forum brother. But is that enough? I don't know. I'm willing to listen to all opinions.

(BTW, I'll be cheering loudly for you when you do get selected, whenever that may be.)

Last edited:
That's great stuff Wade. Where does the line get drawn? Should Morgan Cup/Grandaddy/King members avoid all contests, testing opportunities, and other events just because they've been a part of one?

I see signing up and representing the heck out of THP in whatever I am selected for as being a part of the site. Let the chips fall where they may, and let the good fortune fall wherever it needs to. I'm certainly not upset about not being in the grandaddy, and I certainly won't get upset if I don't get selected for the King, but I am definitely going to have fun with it and be a part of the selection process and social media aspect of it.

With how different each event is, I don't think people who've enjoyed one thing should feel obligated to take their name out of the hat. It's a totally different experience, and one that whoever wants a shot at should get it. While I respect the idea of getting as many people involved as possible, we've already seen 40 different people fill 40 spots. It's working very well.

That's great stuff Wade. Where does the line get drawn? Should Morgan Cup/Grandaddy/King members avoid all contests, testing opportunities, and other events just because they've been a part of one?

I see signing up and representing the heck out of THP in whatever I am selected for as being a part of the site. Let the chips fall where they may, and let the good fortune fall wherever it needs to. I'm certainly not upset about not being in the grandaddy, and I certainly won't get upset if I don't get selected for the King, but I am definitely going to have fun with it and be a part of the selection process and social media aspect of it.

With how different each event is, I don't think people who've enjoyed one thing should feel obligated to take their name out of the hat. It's a totally different experience, and one that whoever wants a shot at should get it. While I respect the idea of getting as many people involved as possible, we've already seen 40 different people fill 40 spots. It's working very well.

I don't know what may have led to the comments that started this conversation a few hours ago, but I'm going to agree with my Ohio brother here. I think everyone who has the financial means and the desire should try to sign up for whatever event they want to. The "marquee" events continue to grow in number, and I think they are more special with a mix of veterans and rookies.

I'll be honest, I do worry every year about the rookies that sign up for the Morgan Cup because I'm never sure if they can possibly understand how to do it right without having seen it through the forum...but predominantly, I've been proven wrong every time. I cringe when someone with 10 posts declares it their sole goal in life to be in the next Morgan Cup. Even though there are things I wish I would have done differently on my own Morgan Cup journey in hindsight, I try to offer any insight I can, or encouraging words when needed, because I feel that should be my role as a veteran (even though I'm not selected).

Not that this is a shocking revelation, but I've realized that JB and GG are in a thankless position when it comes to selection processes because it's just not possible to choose everyone who wants to participate whether they feel entitled to be or not. Bitterness over not being selected isn't going to get anyone anywhere, and it's honestly not the community most of us feel we have here.

Twice as bad means 2 clubs in trees?
It was the same club that infuriated me today. Should have left it there. :beat-up:

Last edited:
I don't know what may have led to the comments that started this conversation a few hours ago, but I'm going to agree with my Ohio brother here. I think everyone who has the financial means and the desire should try to sign up for whatever event they want to. The "marquee" events continue to grow in number, and I think they are more special with a mix of veterans and rookies.

I'll be honest, I do worry every year about the rookies that sign up for the Morgan Cup because I'm never sure if they can possibly understand how to do it right without having seen it through the forum...but predominantly, I've been proven wrong every time. I cringe when someone with 10 posts declares it their sole goal in life to be in the next Morgan Cup. Even though there are things I wish I would have done differently on my own Morgan Cup journey in hindsight, I try to offer any insight I can, or encouraging words when needed, because I feel that should be my role as a veteran (even though I'm not selected).

Not that this is a shocking revelation, but I've realized that JB and GG are in a thankless position when it comes to selection processes because it's just not possible to choose everyone who wants to participate whether they feel entitled to be or not. Bitterness over not being selected isn't going to get anyone anywhere, and it's honestly not the community most of us feel we have here.

You were a HUGE help for me, and I'm sure the other participants leading up to the MC this year. Your insight was truly appreciated.

You were a HUGE help for me, and I'm sure the other participants leading up to the MC this year. Your insight was truly appreciated.

If only someone would have told you wear a hazmat suit leading up to the event...haha

My son was up most of the night. Projectile vomited twice. Scream his little lungs out. My wife thought it was his ears. Buy he has no fever. I ask my wife if she fed him anything more than his rice cereal. She tells me that she gave him some baby applesauce but it was the Gerber Stage 2. Which is for a baby that's eating fruits and veggies with out problems.

I almost went to bed right there and let her deal with it. But nope. I'm a good soldier.

My son was up most of the night. Projectile vomited twice. Scream his little lungs out. My wife thought it was his ears. Buy he has no fever. I ask my wife if she fed him anything more than his rice cereal. She tells me that she gave him some baby applesauce but it was the Gerber Stage 2. Which is for a baby that's eating fruits and veggies with out problems.

I almost went to bed right there and let her deal with it. But nope. I'm a good soldier.
How old is your son? I take it he doesn't eat fruits and veggies?

How old is your son? I take it he doesn't eat fruits and veggies?

6mo. We have started mixing in some fruit. But not the stage 2 Gerber stuff. I think it was a little rich for his tummy.

6mo. We have started mixing in some fruit. But not the stage 2 Gerber stuff. I think it was a little rich for his tummy.

Yeah that's too early. Our boy is 7 months tomorrow. Feeding him the oatmeal/rice cereal and regular first stage organic veggie/fruit baby food that's like a liquidy paste.

Bottom line is THP is a business. Yes, it is a community and yes an extended family to some, but it is a business. Us members are customers, but we are also, in an indirect way, spokespeople and employees. The only way THP will grow as a business is if the events are huge successes and the sponsors involved feel like they benefited from them enough to come back to THP for additional opportunities.

We all, as members, have responsibility to carry the flag for THP.

Quick sidebar. Since Hopkins Golf launched, I have been a big fan of their social media presence, customer service, and most importantly their product. I tweet about them, I post on THP about them, and I post on facebook about them. Not because anyone told me to, not because Hopkins gave me any perks (I paid for all 3 of my wedges), but because I know they are a young company that is going to grow by word of mouth.

Well, someone from hopkins sent me a direct message on Twitter and asked me to call them. We spoke on the phone for 5-10 minutes and they asked if I worked for THP or some other golf site. I laughed and said no, I just really love what THP provides for the golfing community and I love the Hopkins brand and product so I do everything I can to support them both. He thanked me and said if I ever needed anything to give them a call.

Again, no free stuff, no perks, nothing. I do what I do because I love THP. Am I doing this because I got selected for the #grandaddy? No. Nobody has every asked me to do anything because of that. But I can only give back to a community that has provided me with so much (and I am not even talking about equipment and giveaways here).

As for the Morgan Cup, I think it was mentioned perfectly above around not really understanding the Morgan Cup until you've been a member for quite some time. I have been a member here for about 2.5 years and have never even entered the Morgan Cup; not because I felt like I wouldn't be selected, but because I just didn't really understand it. However, since my time here I have fostered relationships through the forum, video gaming, and outings/invitationals and it has really given me a better appreciation for the Morgan Cup. Watching the coverage from the past two years really gave me a window into what the Morgan Cup was about. The biggest thing I learned? It couldn't be LESS about the equipment. I think being a part of the #grandaddy has showed me that it is about representing THP and more importantly your team (and in the MC, your sponsor) to the best of your ability. It is your responsibility to provide insight and information to those that have never received the privilege to participate. It is your responsibility to "rise above the inevitable hate and jealousy" of the small few that resent that you got to participate and they or one of their friends did not get selected.

I am sorry if this long rant/post came off as corny, but it is what I believe. THP, much like life, is what you make of it. Some people might say "have a great day!", but that's ********.

MAKE IT a great day. It's your life, and it's your golf community.

Bill,

I've got a couple of opinions:

1) Overall I think JB and GG and whatever judging panels there are do a good job of mixing "newbies" with "old timers." That's appreciated - the events should not become an "old boys club." (No offense to the Old Coots Group) They also would lack something if every event was nothing but new faces every time.

2) I don't know what the criteria are for selection to the major events. But any way you select them, there's advantages or disadvantages. Do you select a person that's been on THP for all of a week, has 2 posts and gives no feeling they'd ever go so far as to post a recap? Or do you limit selection to only those who have "paid their dues" and let it become an old boys club? Even there, there's danger. There are long-time THP members who have been selected for major events that are no longer here. As I understand it, there are former Morgan Cup participants that basically got their gear and bolted. How do you guard against that?

Personally, I don't feel a completely random selection is the solution. There's too many downsides.

3) As for those of us who have been to a major event, what's the half-life of not entering anything else? Do we have to wait 6 months? A year? Until all the deserving people who have not been in a major event get into one? Who decides who the list of deserving people are? If I enter something 3 years from now and get selected, is someone going to give me crap for it?

4) Again, I don't know the selection methodology. But it's my hope that Josh and Morgan perhaps divide up the entries into multiple groups such as "veteran, previously selected," "long time poster never selected," "typical poster, never selected," "new poster" and then do a random drawing from within those groups, perhaps giving certain groups more draws than others. I think that's the only way that's fair to the membership, and to Josh and Morgan who work so hard.

5) Since I've been in the Morgan Cup, I struggle greatly every time I enter another contest. I've stayed out of a LOT of contests since being selected for the Morgan Cup. I didn't even apply for any of the club testing outings, and I didn't try for most of the gear in the holiday contest.

But some events are just too awesome not to enter. The Granddaddy? The King? Those are so freaking cool, it's hard not to enter. Especially since I'd feel like an idiot if there are repeat-major-event folks selected and I didn't enter. If other repeat people are going to enter, should I be the only one that doesn't enter? Should I not enter "Love is in the Air?" Should I not enter the SeeMore event, which is in my home town?

Again, what's the criteria on how I decide? What if I don't enter any of those events to give my favorite 5 posters a chance who haven't been in one. Then none get selected and the next year, 3 of them have disappeared. Did I do any them any service? I honestly don't know the right answer to this question.

I certainly understand your viewpoint and I know there's lots of people who have not been as fortunate as I. I try to be sensitive to that. I try to only enter things selectively and be a good forum brother. But is that enough? I don't know. I'm willing to listen to all opinions.

(BTW, I'll be cheering loudly for you when you do get selected, whenever that may be.)

wadesworld -- You know how to make post where it makes complete sense and does not offend. I agree 1000 percent with your take on this matter. It's a whole lot better than saying if you don't like it, get the hell out of Dodge. I appreciate what you just said and what several others have stated, which were done diplomatically and without the hang his arse up mentally. I took many of the comments directly as a hit on my character. I want to talk to some of the folks on here face to face, like a man. Kind of like what Freddie mentioned, as some things can't be fixed via words on a forum. A good old come to Jesus meeting is what we call it down here. Thanks for what you said and how you said it wade. You my friend are a true gentleman and someone I would love to have in my corner anytime.

Yeah that's too early. Our boy is 7 months tomorrow. Feeding him the oatmeal/rice cereal and regular first stage organic veggie/fruit baby food that's like a liquidy paste.

I know it is. I wasn't home yet when my wife decided to proceed with that experiment. And what kills me, this isn't our first go around with kiddos. Oh well. Live and learn.

wadesworld -- You know how to make post where it makes complete sense and does not offend. I agree 1000 percent with your take on this matter. It's a whole lot better than saying if you don't like it, get the hell out of Dodge. I appreciate what you just said and what several others have stated, which were done diplomatically and without the hang his arse up mentally. I took many of the comments directly as a hit on my character. I want to talk to some of the folks on here face to face, like a man. Kind of like what Freddie mentioned, as some things can't be fixed via words on a forum. A good old come to Jesus meeting is what we call it down here. Thanks for what you said and how you said it wade. You my friend are a true gentleman and someone I would love to have in my corner anytime.

You're a solid dude, OG. I hope to get the honor of meeting both you and KB in the near future (Love is in the Air?!?)

I think all kids are different but the stages are a guideline not the rule. I hope the little man gets better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back