What iron do you hit the most?

Speedliner

Reaction score
Handicap
Thinking about my next set, trying all of the current crop I was wondering where I should focus. Do I need to be concerned for forgiveness in long irons if I like hybrids? Made me start thinking about which clubs get the most use from me.

Driver I hit pretty consistent so I use that on every hole with room. Wedges, of course used almost every hole, but what about irons/hybrids.

I don't have stats, but in my first golf career I hit my 5-iron a lot. Today I probably hit my 7 or 6 the most. Some, like a 9-iron I hardly ever use. Certainly modern equipment has changed because I'm older and the courses are the same, yet my approaches are more likely to be 7s than 5s like it used to be.

So leaving drivers, wedges and putters out, what club do you hit most often? Is there one most used club in your bag?

Last edited:
I hit a lot of 52 and 58. From my set, I would say PW. I would still look for forgiveness in your long irons though even if the longest iron is your 5.

edit: Since you are using your 6 and 7 the most, I would definitely find a set that I am very comfortable hitting those mid-irons.

For irons, it's my 7 and 8 iron. Always the clubs with the most wear on the face.

I would defiantly say the 7 iron. Seems like I am alway pulling it out.

8 iron and PW seem to come out the most lately.

7 iron, PW, and GW. GW probably the single most becasue I chip with it a lot.

The last few times I've been out, the iron which has received the most usage is probably my 7i. As for long irons, I replaced my 4i with a 4h which I can hit much more consistently.

6/7

...depends on the winds, but on my home course, that's the distance I'm most often hitting from.

Mine seems to be the 7 as well

8iron.

I think this has to do with my home course and the course set up people generally play. Mine is my 8 because there are 3 par threes on my home course that I use it off the tee on. i'm willing to bet that this might have something to do with it.

Like Hawk, I'm going 7/8. Find myself in that 135-155 range by design quite a bit.

If leaving out the driver, wedges, and putter I would say it's what ever gets me to a par 5 in two or my 9 iron. 9 iron is usually for the long par 4's that I can't hit the driver far enough to set up for a wedge shot.

My cleanest clubs are my 5-8 iron. They only see action on par 3's.

With me it's usually my 6/7. But my GW/52 get a ton of work also.

On the Range i think the iron i practice the most with is probably the 9 iron or PW. these are also the clubs i feel the most comfortable with. I hardyl ever hit my 4 iron. Especially from the deck.

6 and 7 irons. Right in/around that 150-160 yard mark. Three of the four par 3's on my course are in that neighborhood, and I know I can reach out to them with a 6 iron short of gale force winds and 7 irons in still or slight tailwinds.

I'd say 7/8 as well. As for long irons, while I like hitting them, I've finally come to the realization that I'm not very good at it. :D I've carried a 4H for well over a season and I lean on it pretty heavily. Can't imagine going back to a 4I right now. Heck, I've pondered going to a 5H.

For me it's 8 iron and GW...I seem to hit those more than anything else.

Either the 7 or PW for me

For irons, it's my 7 and 8 iron. Always the clubs with the most wear on the face.

Just echoing this for me.

I hit my 8 iron more than any other club, whenever the swing feels off, I grab my 8 and work on it.

Heck, I've pondered going to a 5H.

Lol Jon. I bought my last set with a 3&4h. I didn't like them for quite awhile. Eventually I started hitting them well, then very well and they became so easy. Let me quantify "well". By well I mean a consistent, solid strike, long and high. But from 200-220 hitting a green is still just a few degrees of angle so I miss most. But the ball gets up and goes.

I eventually swapped the 5 for a 5h, then experimented with a 6h I got cheap. They are both so easy to hit I've kept them in the bag despite hitting the irons fine and my vanity complaining constantly. :)

But they just go! Doubt I'll do same with a new set, but beware of venturing to the Hybrid side...it grabs you and doesn't let go. Lol.

Lol Jon. I bought my last set with a 3&4h. I didn't like them for quite awhile. Eventually I started hitting them well, then very well and they became so easy. Let me quantify "well". By well I mean a consistent, solid strike, long and high. But from 200-220 hitting a green is still just a few degrees of angle so I miss most. But the ball gets up and goes.

I eventually swapped the 5 for a 5h, then experimented with a 6h I got cheap. They are both so easy to hit I've kept them in the bag despite hitting the irons fine and my vanity complaining constantly. :)

But they just go! Doubt I'll do same with a new set, but beware of venturing to the Hybrid side...it grabs you and doesn't let go. Lol.

Oh yeah, I'm sure. I'm still pondering but it would mean going away from the J40 as I'm just anal enough to want matching hybrids, so it has to be right before I'll make a move. Love the J40.

7 and 8 most used on the course and at the range

If leaving out the driver, wedges, and putter I would say it's what ever gets me to a par 5 in two or my 9 iron. 9 iron is usually for the long par 4's that I can't hit the driver far enough to set up for a wedge shot.

My cleanest clubs are my 5-8 iron. They only see action on par 3's.

I'm similar. Always hitting my 9. I do also hit a 6 quite often for some reason. (I guess because the 6 is usually my 2nd shot lay up club on par 5's.) My 4,5,7, and 8 irons, however, are like little league right-fielders - bored and probably useless.

Last edited:
Back