Why are golfers so full of it?

Hahaha im ashamed to say I had to look up who that was!

I thought he was a wrestler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ones that release without any pictures? Hahaha
Are you saying that my friend's Dad didn't catch a catfish with eyeballs the size of basketballs?

I think it plays to the mental part of the game. Some players have to continue to "positively" reinforce themselves bc the actual numbers are depressing to them or worse they think they will be thought of as a lesser player if drives aren't 300yds & handicap isn't single digits.

That's why I love THP. You can't hide your game if you tee it up regularly & even if you don't play as well as others it doesn't matter because it's about more than golf.

I'm more impressed by the posters who have measured swing speeds of 105 by drive the ball 310. One of those numbers is not correct.

Now I want to keep this light hearted if possible but im curious as to why it seems that more things are exaggerated in golf than any other sport I've played. Ive played a bunch of different ones throughout the years and besides a few tall tales here and there most people seem to be realistic when describing their game. I mean I haven't heard "I hit 500 home runs" or " I scored 16 goals in one game" but yet in golf there's more people that somehow defy logic and physics with their swings and scores. I know I'm not the only one who's seen it but im curious to what others think. Is it just golf and if so, why? I'll add this is absolutely not about one person in particular
Apparently you don't know any fisherman or poker players :)

Golfer math. Longest shot ever with club = average distance.

Never worried about how far it goes. I only concern myself with how near it hit it. Don't think I've ever hit a ball more than 275 tops. Have never claimed to hit it further. No reason. But then that's just me. I don't care what anyone else thinks about my game. Hard enough to please the owner of my game.

It makes people feel better lying about their game.

Apparently you don't know any fisherman or poker players :)
Haha definitely do not know a ton of poker players but some of my good friends are really into fishing and they simply take pictures of everything they catch, literally lol. If I start hitting the ball 300 yards I'm going to record and post a video of me pacing it out!.

Golfer math. Longest shot ever with club = average distance.

My favorite are the posts that say, "220-250. But if I step on it I can go 290 straight."

“It took me 17 years to get 3000 hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course.”
- Hank Aaron

I think it's the male ego at work. You have to project yourself as being better than you are in hopes that you'll be more respected and well liked. The interwebs are a place where average people become super human and it stinks when there are people who can really do the things they say but are put off because of the shoulder deep amounts of BS that gets spewed (not here, but the interwebs in general). I think a gone point today Dan and I both used the term, "outting approved" in reference to shots we hit.

Now I want to keep this light hearted if possible but im curious as to why it seems that more things are exaggerated in golf than any other sport I've played. Ive played a bunch of different ones throughout the years and besides a few tall tales here and there most people seem to be realistic when describing their game. I mean I haven't heard "I hit 500 home runs" or " I scored 16 goals in one game" but yet in golf there's more people that somehow defy logic and physics with their swings and scores. I know I'm not the only one who's seen it but im curious to what others think. Is it just golf and if so, why? I'll add this is absolutely not about one person in particular

There's one other thing I've encountered that's almost the same. Talk to a former college athlete about their 40 time lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

There's one other thing I've encountered that's almost the same. Talk to a former college athlete about their 40 time lol

i was was a Left Offensive Tackle in college and ran a 4.8. Of course I don't tell you the distance ran.

i was was a Left Offensive Tackle in college and ran a 4.8. Of course I don't tell you the distance ran.

Lol. The best was when I transferred and they did the laser timers. Those suckers are MEAN.

I'm not online that much anymore , but the biggest
" fishing stories " are the guys that hit 300 yards . It is mostly online that I read this .. I would beg that most 99% of us are 250 to 260 off the tee . People don't realize how far 300 yards really is .. When I read those threads , I stop and never finish them . Score means nothing online , all 300 yard drives . One reason why I'm glad I'm not a die hard online golfer .

I think I heard that a time or two...lo.l An absolute legend in his own mind!

My dad's friend has a son that's three or four years older than me. He was a pretty good running back in high school (which was in the mid 90s). We went to a few of his games. In the last game of his high school career he scored four touchdowns. As soon as he got to number three, we all started talking about how he could be Al Bundy...and then he did it.

It's 100 yards more than I carry my drives. And I know who Kelly Bundy (Christina Applegate) is....

I think golfers genuinely have no idea how far 300 yards is....

I'm more impressed by the posters who have measured swing speeds of 105 by drive the ball 310. One of those numbers is not correct.

My swing speed is around that but given the right conditions I've launched some drives I'm proud of!! The second hole at my local club is 280 or so to the centre and I've carried the back of the green a few times on there.

The 16th is a fairway that drops down significantly and turns to the right, I hit what will always be my longest ever drive on that hole. Wind at my back I crushed one, the ball shot off and took a lovely draw, it didn't climb too high so the combination of roll out and slope put this thing way out there.

I'm not deluded enough to think I hit 300+ all the time but as a new golfer there are those times when the stars align!!

I'm not yet good enough to shoot low scores, my lowest so far is a 92 so it's individual shots I cling to, it's been mentioned here already but a lot of golfers seem to have a hard time separating what is average (I'd put my average around 250) and what is their best

All I know is that when the stars align and I somehow peel the paint off the ball it's still not long enough. Time for a shaft change...

Guys lie about EVERTHING, golf, sex, gas mileage, great deals they got on their cars, fish they caught. . I mean everything

Obviously, the OP hasn't spoken with many anglers.

This, bass tournament fishing is my other cash swallowing hobby, golfer don't lie NEAR as bad as fishermen.

That said, I've played with quite a few golfers who were monsters til I played with them. My game swings all over the place. I've been mid/high 80's for about 2 years on normal courses playing around 6000 yards but I've shot an 82 on a 7000 yard course with my boss and a 115 on a 5200 yard course alone. I've hit 5 drives over 300 yards and I swear it was all luck, wind, and bounce but so be it. Usually I'm between 225-250 depending on how I'm swinging and everyone of the mid 70's players who bomb it 280 plus every round are beside me on every drive.

Happens, but they still lie less than fishermen lol.

Guys lie about EVERTHING, golf, sex, gas mileage, great deals they got on their cars, fish they caught. . I mean everything
Its funny you mention gas mileage because that's a HUGE one. Around here everyone's 1-ton diesels and 3/4 ton gassers are magically getting 28mpg. Right.

I think it has to do with golfs ability to be perfect water cooler talk, unless you play city league sports then golf is about the only sport people play outside of school. And you guys know that one coworker or friend... distance, scores, putting.. ect. Anything golf can be exaggerated if you want it to be. I imagine fishing being bad too.

I know lots of golfers that are good modest guys, but some people make me never want to wear my golf apparel outside of the course.

Back