Ball mark or divot, that is my question

I call them divots...... But like everyone else has been saying fix them when you make them. It takes 5 seconds to do and people don't, when I hit a green I pull out my repair took with pride to fix the mark. I've made it a point to fix ones left by previous golfers when waiting for people to get on,read putts, ect.

We call them pitch marks on the green and fix them with a pitch repairer. Divots are patches of ground taken when swinging.

I really don't care what people call them as long as they fix them :) I've called them the wrong thing at times I know. I always thought the divot was the actual grass that got dug out, not the hole left from it.
I'll agree with 100%, ball marks on green, divot elsewhere. Why some people won't fix their marks is beyond me.

It's a ball mark. I use my divot tool to fix it.

I didn't say it made sense.

This.

But I also refer to it as a pitch mark too. Depends on the mood, and sometimes I just use a tee to do repairs since I usually have one in my hat while playing.

I call them divots...... But like everyone else has been saying fix them when you make them. It takes 5 seconds to do and people don't, when I hit a green I pull out my repair took with pride to fix the mark. I've made it a point to fix ones left by previous golfers when waiting for people to get on,read putts, ect.

Exactly, if you made a mark, you hit a decent shot into the green, why not take the need to repair is as a tiny accomplishment? But I'm with you, I always find myself fixing other peoples ball marks that they left. It's honestly just rude.

I've never actually thought about it that way. I call them ball marks and repair them with a divot tool, but divots are taken from swinging a club :bulgy-eyes:

I call them skittle flavored unicorns because I almost never have a ball mark to repair on the green... not enough spin on the ball to cause one.

I do try to repair ones from previous golfers on the green though with my ball mark repair tool. I replace my divots in the fairway (if it is still in one piece) in the divot hole otherwise I put sand in the divot hole if the divot cannot be replaced.

I also drive on parkways and park in driveways.:act-up:

I've called them ball or pitch marks. But I believe I have referred to the tool as a divot tool, I guess because that's what it's (incorrectly) called by many companies.

I do the same thing...I repair my ball Mark with my divot tool. It doesn't make sense, but I doubt I'll change how I say it. Heck, it has only recently become something for me to worry about.

Pitch mark/Ball mark, repaired with a ball repair tool or pitchfork.
Drives me nuts when I see "divot repair tool" because that is just wrong!

Steven Wright would love this discussion, if he were a golfer...

Pich mark. A ball mark is what I use to mark my ball before picking it up. But I do sometimes use the incorrect word of divot, also use the term divot tool

I'm with ya Freddie. Ball marks on the green divots in the fairway. Repair my ball marks on the green with a "divot fork."

Pitch mark or ball mark and I repair with a Tee.

Just to note; my home course sells repair tools and they are called "pitch mark' repair tools and not divot tools...........

A little divot factoid

In Scotland A divot is also a piece of turf formally used for roofing cottages.

I'm glad to see Im.not the only one that feels the way I do. Now I've seen the term pitch mark and I agree but a full shot is not a pitch shot. Further more the marks left by a full shot and pitch shot are different. One is crater like and the other is small and just pushes the turf forward. Im not saying pitch mark is wrong, just pointing out what I observe.

I agree and am often easily confused.

Back