Srixon Z 545 Irons Preview

gday gents ( and ladies )
first post so be kind.
currently gaming the ping i20 irons, and strongly considering the Z 545 irons.
would those who use the 545's say they would be more game improvement compared to the i20's.
I am a typical weekend hacker, aged in the late 50's.
have in the past used the ping g25 but do not want to go to a full game improvement iron, something maybe in between the i and g series.
I have looked ( and tried at various stores ) at the callaway apex, and mizuno 850's, but none have felt as good as the 545.
any feedback and opinions, appreciated.

First of all, welcome to THP! Make a post at the check in desk (http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?14-Check-In-Desk then click post new thread and type away) to get a real THP welcome.

I just received the Z545 irons and have only hit them once. The feel and forgiveness are both very nice which was apparent immediately. I am coming from Mizuno JPX 800 Pro and the Srixon's are huge improvements in terms of forgiveness. I haven't hit a Ping iron in probably 30 years so can't help you there.

Having read thru most of this thread.... is there anyone anywhere, who has something bad to say about the clubs???

:)

The only thing we could come up with was the lofting of the PW and that the AW isn't available in the US. That being said, as long as you know it going in, you can either have them bent or order another wedge. And the Cleveland 2.0's are so solid, they more than make up for it.

Srixon Z 545 Irons Preview

The only thing we could come up with was the lofting of the PW and that the AW isn't available in the US. That being said, as long as you know it going in, you can either have them bent or order another wedge. And the Cleveland 2.0's are so solid, they more than make up for it.

I'd say that's the only thing that could be seen as a general complaint about these. They do launch high, so I think the 44 degree wedge optimizes launch, but it made gapping after a bit of a guessing game. 48-49 degree CB is perfect in that spot for me.

As someone who's played Ping irons for a while, the minuscule bit of bag chatter on these bothered me for about 2 seconds, but that's a me thing.

I have 2 rounds on these since getting them and reshafting them. I want another round to be sure things arent a fluke for me, but at this point these are probably going to be my irons for 2015. The V-sole is fantastic. The forgiveness is awesome for an iron of this level. They launch so easily with a nice mid-mid high flight. Ive hit most every new release iron out at this point and these take the cake. Not the longest ive ever hit but they fit my eye well and are long enough. The only complaint I have at this point is the 44° PW creates a 7° gap to my SCOR GW so I have to convince the wife to left me buy the AW and/or a new set of SCORs!!

As the guys that play with me regularly will attest, I am a huge mizuno homer and these are better than the similar mizuno line from this IMHO.

PSH, new wedges sounds like a dual win to me!

I have 2 rounds on these since getting them and reshafting them. I want another round to be sure things arent a fluke for me, but at this point these are probably going to be my irons for 2015. The V-sole is fantastic. The forgiveness is awesome for an iron of this level. They launch so easily with a nice mid-mid high flight. Ive hit most every new release iron out at this point and these take the cake. Not the longest ive ever hit but they fit my eye well and are long enough. The only complaint I have at this point is the 44° PW creates a 7° gap to my SCOR GW so I have to convince the wife to left me buy the AW and/or a new set of SCORs!!

As the guys that play with me regularly will attest, I am a huge mizuno homer and these are better than the similar mizuno line from this IMHO.

That is why I had my PW bent to 45 before I ever got it. I get my familiar 130 yards with it. Now I just need to learn how to get 115 out of the RTX 2.0 50* CB or the JPX 800 Pro GW may be going back in the bag.

That is why I had my PW bent to 45 before I ever got it. I get my familiar 130 yards with it. Now I just need to learn how to get 115 out of the RTX 2.0 50* CB or the JPX 800 Pro GW may be going back in the bag.
I may be making some slight loft adjustments or just getting the AW instead of new SCORs, but like james said... new wedges is more fun!

Order the AW from Japan. Absolutely love it.

AW is a no brainer. The 4 iron is so good that it beat out a hybrid for a spot in my bag. Better gapping, too
The 4 iron is stupid easy to hit. I haven't had one in my bag for probably 7 years but this one is staying. Hit is twice today and get about the same distance I used to get with my 5 wood.

is this "rakuten" a trustworthy purchase as original?
and has anyone purchased a set thru them?
Not a full set but I did get my AW through them. I know Kang, kc720,has bought several things through them without issue

AW is a no brainer. The 4 iron is so good that it beat out a hybrid for a spot in my bag. Better gapping, too
My only concern with the AW is my wedges are so multi purpose in my game I worry about the versatility in comparison to the SCORs. I do full swing them but also lots of 1/2 & 3/4 swings.

My only concern with the AW is my wedges are so multi purpose in my game I worry about the versatility in comparison to the SCORs. I do full swing them but also lots of 1/2 & 3/4 swings.
Gotcha.

In your experience would you say it will do ok there or might I be better off sticking with a standard wedge

In your experience would you say it will do ok there or might I be better off sticking with a standard wedge
It's only been two rounds but I love it so far. I've used it for 3/4 and full shots.

This time year when the ground is soggy I don't like to play lower pitch shots into the green because the runout is inconsistent and sometimes none so I'll stick to using my 56 or 60 around the greens and really for anything under 100 until later in the spring

I will say that when I wanted a little lower flight into the wind on a 100 yard shot today I used the AW and flighted it down rather than taking a full swing with my sand wedge. Performed perfectly.

Thx Jlukes. I may have to bribe WardF to come play some golf with the DFW Crew and take skme swipes with his before I make a decision

I will say that when I wanted a little lower flight into the wind on a 100 yard shot today I used the AW and flighted it down rather than taking a full swing with my sand wedge. Performed perfectly.

Do you typically get 100 out of a full swing 56? That is what I get out of my 54. What do you get out of a full swing with the AW? I got about 115 out of my Mizuno 50 degree set GW. Currently getting about 110 out of the 50 RTX 2.0 CB. Have had no issues with taking some off the PW when I needed a 115 - 120 shot.

Back