Trying to break 70 club?

I broke par once last year. I shot 70 on a par 72 course. I played w/ a scratch golfer and he made my game that much better. The back nine of my home course is lined with houses and pine trees. So, course management, and accuracy is a huge must. I just have to let it happen and not push the issue of, "I must shoot in the 60's today."

I had a near perfect round May 20th at Widgi Creek in Bend, Oregon. In fact it is likely to go down as my best round ever, although certainly not my lowest. Shot 68 with 18 GIR with a hole-in-one!! My only real mistake was a 3 putt on the back nine but the ace more than made up for it!!

I've had 3 sub-70 (two 68s & a 69) rounds this year so far on my home course (par 70). I feel like I'm pretty close to putting together a -4 or -5 round one of these days, which two years ago was not something I would have considered possible.

I had a near perfect round May 20th at Widgi Creek in Bend, Oregon. In fact it is likely to go down as my best round ever, although certainly not my lowest. Shot 68 with 18 GIR with a hole-in-one!! My only real mistake was a 3 putt on the back nine but the ace more than made up for it!!

I've had 3 sub-70 (two 68s & a 69) rounds this year so far on my home course (par 70). I feel like I'm pretty close to putting together a -4 or -5 round one of these days, which two years ago was not something I would have considered possible.

Any round in the 60's is pretty damn impressive.

Havent posted in this thread for sometime as I struggled with my game mightily last season. Feel like I'm back on track and already have a score of 72 (E) this year. I've found that if I can keep the ball in good position off the tee, about the worst I could shoot would be 75. I had a number of birdie putts during that round that could have/should have fallen, but I'm struggling a bit inside of 5ft. Hoping my counterbalanced putter will help out.

Posting up in this thread....i've only broken par twice before in my life, a -2(70) playing shorter tees with my father in law and his brothers in a mini "brothers tournament", nevertheless i was still happy about it. Last year i shot a -1 (70) at the club i was at, it was a slope 135 rating 71.7. Still was looking for my first round in the 60's.

yesterday at my new home course it was looking good. Birdie on 1, bogeyed 6, and birdied 9 for a 35 going out. Hit that number a few times but never really conquered the back. Yesterday was slightly better, made a clutch save on 10, a bad bogey on 11, but made up for it with back to back birdies on 14 and 15. A badly struck par putt on 16 left me back at E thru the back 9, but was able to birdie 17. Standing on 18th tee i knew i needed a good birdie to break 70. Its a short par 4, but its tight. Hybrid off the tee left me a full gap wedge in, and was able to land it at the hole but it rolled out about 10'. Struck a nice putt and liked the line, but it was a bit firm. Ended up grabbing the left lip and staying out. another -2 (70) on this course which is rated 72.5 (137).

So close! i know i can be in the 60's this year, and there's definitely room for improvement here as i was only 38% FIR yesterday. Boost that number up a bit and i'm sure a few of the par saves i made can turn into a decent birdie opportunity.

I'm about a 2 handicap, which you'd think would mean I can break 70 pretty regularly. Nope. About 2-3 times a year, that's it. My "normal" round is going to be about 75 - 76 and I am VERY capable of hoisting a balloon. I've had a 90 this year and a bunch of 44-45 nines. This means I'm useless as a tournament partner or in scrambles. My handicap doesn't help in net and I'm not good enough to compete in gross. For me to break 70 I have to have all facets of the game working and I can't lose a single drive in the stuff. One sprayed drive will throw a 6 in the gears and then I'm sunk.

That said, I had my best round of my life this year, a 66, wherein the planets aligned. I was five under after getting a turkey on 8,9, & 10 and eagle-ing the 13th. Then I remembered to think about how I was doing. BIG mistake. I got shakey on the 14th, somehow made par, and had to sink a 20 footer for a double on 15. I thought, we'll that's done with, so I relaxed again. Parred 16 and 17, and managed to eagle 18 after richocheting a drive OFF the OB fence back into play. Total luck.

I think I could achieve a round in the 60's this year.
A couple of weeks ago I achieved my best round in ages;

10407518_646473622411_4187526134316106021_n.jpg

Gave me a lot of confidence and belief that I can do it.
Just need to keep my head down and put a good front 9 together and then grind out the pars on the back.

This has been my goal forever....I've shot 70 several times, but never under. Best chance (so far haha) was many many years ago...was 3-under (par 72) standing on 18 tee...a hole that I could par in my sleep...and it was all I could do to just breathe. Block 3W heading OB hits tree and drops...pull attempt at big cut 5i ends up down at bottom of gully...then hit maybe best shot of day to green 50+ ft above to about 20 ft. 2-putt for hard-choking 70. I'll get it...I'm staying positive...and there will be many beers on that day. :)

My best score is a 68, but I've shot it 5 times. I want to shoot a 67 or better this year. I'll definitely need to sharpen my short game to make that happen.

So with 1 round in the books sub-70, I have been fighting to get back there. My last 4 rounds were 76-74-76-75 with lots of strokes left out on the course.

At the beginning of the year one of my goals was to shoot in the 60's. My best score for 18 has been 71 (1 under) in the first round of a Club Championship (we won't talk about the 2nd day ...) but that was about 11 years ago. The more I attempted to shoot a score this spring the more it evaded me so i gave up on that and just worked on steadily improving all parts of my game. My scores have been coming down and in the past month I've posted 73, 74s & 75s (par 72) along with everything from 76 to 84. I feel like I'm giving away a bunch of strokes each time out (ex. last round was 75 with two 3-putts, one in the water, 13 GIR & only one birdie made) and am so close. All I need to do is put things together a bit more to get there ...

I'd love to have a round in the 60s. I had a 73 a couple weekends ago but that's been my low this year. I normally shoot about 76-80. I'm always good for an overcooked drive into the trees or a chunked shot around the green or two to keep me from breaking 70.

Breaking 70 never really seemed like a possibility for me until I shot a 71 (-1) this past weekend. Now it feels real and I want to go get it bad. Im making enough birdies, but must learn to minimize mistakes to get therer

My best round is a 68, but I've shot it 5 times, all in Arizona. I'm having difficulty breaking par in Texas because of the different grasses here (mostly Bermuda). I did shoot 70 at Walden on Lake Houston a couple of weeks ago, but I'd like to shoot a sub-70 at least once this year. I'd REALLY like to shoot a PB <68 at some point!

SHOW ME THE WAY!! Awesome for all that have been able to conquer this sacred golf mountain. For me I can't get my head out of the way. As soon as im 2 or 3 deep on the front side my mind starts racing to what holes I have to birdie or what do I do if I make bogey here or how can I rebound from double. Just too many thoughts of what I need to do to shoot sub-70. Then when I try and be carefree and not think I tee off and then next thing I know I'm on 18 at +6. Just wondering how you fellas mentally handle the chase for sub-70 rounds.

Thanks as always,
JC

Played a course a few weeks ago at 6,800 yards and started -2 after 6. Doubled the 7th which was killer but managed to get it back to -1 till I bogeyed 17 on a 3 putt and finished 18 with par for an even 72. Left a ton of birdies out on the course so the potential was there all day long. It was nice to get that under par feeling going again on the course.

This is definitely a goal of mine, but first i need to break 90.

I shot 68 two weeks ago at my home course but it took birdies on the last 3 holes to do it. I've had a couple 71's since then with double bogeys on both of those cards. It's difficult to not make a few bogies!

I have not shot in the 60s in quite some time. I don't even remember when I last did it. I feel like my game isn't all that far from it, but I'm just getting back into putting a little bit of a time into it.

Hopefully I will be able to crack that number sometime this fall.

Well had (3) chances this year. Had a 10 footer to do it on the last hole a week ago and just missed ( caught on video which was cool). Than had our county championship qualifier and shot a even 71. Everytime I had a birdie would make a bogey than a bunch of pars.

For or me it is finishing strong not starting strong. If I make a lot of birds out of the gate I just can't keep it going. But if i birdie late I get fired up. I'm a 4 th quarter guy for sure

I have broken 70 before, but not in a long time. Need to get out more so I can get some more consistency in my game. Right now shoot low to mid-70's but there is always a double a string of 3 or 4 holes in a row with bogey's. When I play more there is better consistency with the putter and short irons that gives me a lot more chances at birdie. Right now I hit it well, but not close enough consistently to make enough birdies to shoot in the 60's.

I had the game on Thursday to break this barrier. I was -2 after #7, -1 after ten but a triple bogey on #11 threw a wrench into things. I ended up with birdies on #12 & #14 with a birdie lip out on #13 and pars the rest of the way in. Thats a 69 if #11 doesn't happen. Feeling closer than ever to breaking this wall down!

Nice playing EVF!

Damn, I was -2 through 14 at The Outlaw in Ruidoso, NM last weekend. On 15, my back gave out and I limped in with a 74...

I shot 70 once this year, but it's been over 5 years since I've shot under that. I'm looking to go sub-70 at my home course before 2015 is out!

Back