Righty putting lefty?

F.N.G

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Lately I have noticed that I putt much better left handed. Messing around on the putting green the other evening during practice I ran into a friend of mine. He is a lefty and was doing a putter shoot out on his couple of putters. So I jokingly picked one up and started to putt with it. First shot was a 12 footer that dropped right in. I laughed and thought it was a fluke. Turns out it was not, I all of a sudden had lights out putting. I have since tried it with differ putters and it seems to still be the case. Thinking a left handed putter is my next golf purchase. Is there a reason for this or am I grasping at straws and just trying to buy a better game? Anyone else tried this?

Have you tried putting right handed with a cross hand or left hand low grip?

I played with a guy that putted left handed. He said he had a serious case of the yips for a couple years, so switched to left handed. He had one of the old school putters where he could putt either lefty or righty with it. He putted pretty well.

My buddy Butch plays right and putts left. He is one of the best putters I know. But I think you'd putt well if you just went crossed handed. This is really what you're doing by putting left handed

I do a few rounds every year, it actually works well for me given that I am a) left handed and b) my eye dominance sets up better from that side. I just go left handed and putt cross handed (right hand low like my RH grip).

I'm actually really solid from that side and at one point really considered a permanent switch.

I did try the left hand low grip and it felt really odd. I would wiggle the head back and forth as my brain tried to thibk of what to do in my back stroke. Maybe I will try to practice that a bit more before I spend more money.

I too am similarly afflicted. I play right handed but putt lefty. I am exceptionally left eye dominant. I stongly suggest you do so too. To check take your hands and with thumb and forfingers make a circle. Look at a distant object with both eyes open. Center the object. Then close one eye then the other. You will notice with one eye the object stays centered. With the other eye the object will move out of the circle. The centered eye is your dominant eye.

I find with my dominant (left) eye centered over the ball I can line up a putt better. I also hve better muscle control leftie. Putting right handed I'd blow the ball past the hole all the time. Putting opposite of how I hit my clubs really helped my distance control. I do bend over very far to get mt eye over the ball. I use a 33" putter.

I encourage you to get a lefty putter and run with it. I found the Cleveland Smart Square to be emminently suited for left handed use. I did put a SS 2.0 Flatso on it and bent it 1 1/2 upright. So solid for me. Give it a try. I also found the Dart Odyssey's to work well.

Maybe your freind will loan you one of the unchosen putters from his shootout. Give it a try. You will never besure if you don't try.

Mark Shuman

PS: Shakey, the Slotline is right behind me as we speak. It is the next project on my hit list. I'm kinda fiscally challenged. So I complete 1 project and go on to the next. I got the Smart Square cheep. I plan on using the Slotline as a counterbalanced project. I'm going to have it fitted up with one of the new SS Flatso long grips. But with the grip and the fitting work it'll push 65$ or so. So it'll have to wait till I have the cash saved up. I've wanted to try a CB putter. This is what I'll use. Thank you for sending this one to me. BTW I really like the grip on it. I'm gonna save that for another putter. Now I just have to find one for the grip.

Last edited:
Inclined to agree with the dominant eye theory. Tried a See More and it worked well if I closed one eye, decided that was too much trouble.

I too am similarly afflicted. I play right handed but putt lefty. I am exceptionally left eye dominant. I stongly suggest you do so too. To check take your hands and with thumb and forfingers make a circle. Look at a distant object with both eyes open. Center the object. Then close one eye then the other. You will notice with one eye the object stays centered. With the other eye the object will move out of the circle. The centered eye is your dominant eye.

I find with my dominant (left) eye centered over the ball I can line up a putt better. I also hve better muscle control leftie. Putting right handed I'd blow the ball past the hole all the time. Putting opposite of how I hit my clubs really helped my distance control. I do bend over very far to get mt eye over the ball. I use a 33" putter.

I encourage you to get a lefty putter and run with it. I found the Cleveland Smart Square to be emminently suited for left handed use. I did put a SS 2.0 Flatso on it and bent it 1 1/2 upright. So solid for me. Give it a try. I also found the Dart Odyssey's to work well.

Maybe your freind will loan you one of the unchosen putters from his shootout. Give it a try. You will never besure if you don't try.

Mark Shuman

PS: Shakey, the Slotline is right behind me as we speak. It is the next project on my hit list. I'm kinda fiscally challenged. So I complete 1 project and go on to the next. I got the Smart Square cheep. I plan on using the Slotline as a counterbalanced project. I'm going to have it fitted up with one of the new SS Flatso long grips. But with the grip and the fitting work it'll push 65$ or so. So it'll have to wait till I have the cash saved up. I've wanted to try a CB putter. This is what I'll use. Thank you for sending this one to me. BTW I really like the grip on it. I'm gonna save that for another putter. Now I just have to find one for the grip.

That's really interesting -- the dominant eye thing.

I'm a lefty at pretty much everything I do, but golf right handed. I've always had issues lining up putts for some reason. Doing your little trick, I'm definitely left-eye dominant. Next time I go to Edwin Watts, I'm going to try some of their LH putters just for giggles.

I may have to play around with something like this. I write with my left hand and bowl with my left but do literally everything else with my right. Never thought about it but because my putting is pretty bad right now, it won't hurt to try

That's crazy. Same story here with the doing almost everything lefty other than golf(no idea why BTW). I have never really experimented with left handed putting but I recently have had a case of the yips putting and this may be a way to go away from righty and get a new perspective for a while

Like others that have chimed in, my entire world outside of golf is left handed. I did the dominant eye test and it told me I was right eye dominant so I guess my hoard of right handed SeeMores is safe. I have tried putting left handed a few times and probably could become proficient doing it if I dedicated the time and resources. Cross handed and I never got along for any putt outside of about 10 feet.

I have actually played with both a righty who putts left and a lefty who putts right. The latter is a much better player, putting aside, but it is an interesting thing to witness.

I have a friend who golfs righty, and putts lefty, but he is terrible.

I seem to putt really well left handed and cross-handed (right hand low as if I gripped the putter righty), but I have never had the nerve to actually try it during a round.

Played with a guy who was the opposite, swung lefty putted righty. Said his old man had a lot of putters so he always used a right handed putter.

You could always get an old titliest Bullseye putter that you can roll either way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Titlei...730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aad80fc4a

You can find them for super cheap or spend quite a bit. Old buddy had one and when he was having a bad day righty he would start rolling them lefty.

I have a friend who does this, I didn't notice much improvement though but as with everything in golf, mental aspect plays a big part.

I actually thought about this yesterday as I was practicing left hand low. I have a center shafted Cure, so I may give it a try for fun

Back