2015 Major Courses: Which Would You Want to Play the Mos? How Would You Fair Overall?

1. Augusta
2. Whistling Straits
3. Chambers Bay
4. St. Andrews

I like the history of St. Andrews obviously, but it honestly just doesn't look as fun as the others. And if Augusta wasn't so impossible to get on, it would probably be #3. Whistling Straits looks crazy fun, and Chambers looks pretty dang fun too.

1. St. Andrews and it's not even close for me
2. Whistling Straits
3. Augusta
4. Chambers Bay due to the condition of the greens in my only exposure to the course

They would probably all eat my lunch but would love every minute of it. Playing regular guy tees on all courses, I would guess I would fare best at Augusta due to watching the tournament every year for the past 35 or so years and thus more familiarity with it.

Augusta
St. Andrews
Whistling Straits
Chambers Bay

I'd probably not fair well at either course, especially if set up the same way for the Majors.

1. Augusta
2. St. Andrews
3. Chambers Bay (Have already played it)
4. Whistling Straits

Augusta is always and forever number 1. St. Andrews is a clear number 2. Then there's a big huge gap to get to number 3, which is the only one on this list I've played. I'm in the minority on Whistling Straits....Pete Dye courses don't do it for me and I especially dislike fake links courses, so it rates behind the others.

Gotta go Augusta first as it's the least likely to actually play. As far as the remaining I'd rank them St Andrews, Chambers Bay and Whistling Straits. I will get to St. Andrews (among others in Scotland) sooner than later! Hard to say how I'd score. Similar courses in some regards (Augusta aside), although Whistling Straits could cause havoc with all the bunkers.

It's hard to argue with the history of either Augusta or ST. Andrews; yet I'd still rank them this way:

1) Whistling Straights
2) Chambers Bay
3) Augusta
4) St. Andrews

I just like the layouts (and the views) at the first two better.
I think Pete hit the juice hard tonight.

1. Augusta - despite the history that St. Andrews holds and the different style of "links" golf Augusta is arguably the most exclusive club in the world.
2. St. Andrews - The history, style, putting from off the green, wind, etc. would love to play here - which I know I will someday
3. Whistling Straights - love the layout - however I must be mindful off all of the "bunkers throughout the course
4. Chambers Bay - Don't really care for the course and wouldn't mind not playing it - actually had to adjust the green levels on my TV to make it look better...

Augusta obviously first and then St. Andrews. Chambers Bay would be 3rd only because I've already played Whistling Straits. I shot 77 there 15 years ago from 7,150 yards but I was having a very good day with the driver.

Now that the 2015 Major Season is over, it is time to ask... Which one would you want to play the most?
How would us mere mortals fair at these courses as a whole?

In terms of playing, I would go 1)Augusta 2)St. Andrews 3)Whistling Straits 4) Chambers Bay

In terms of scoring I think I would shoot the best at St. Andrews and the worst at Whistling Straits

How would you fair??
Augusta.
St Andrews.
Whistling Straits (on a calm day haha).
Chambers Bay (with at least two months between me playing and USGA touching it.

With ideal conditions I think only Augusta would give me fits considering the greens. After taking on a couple championship level courses now, I think I've got the capacity to score if the conditions favour me.

For the THP #majorseries
Hideaway (obviously, assuming it returns there)
La Costa (new to me)
Cog Hill (last but just by default)

For the PGA majors
Augusta (it is so exclusive, and would be unforgettable)
St. Andrews (I'd love to play at the home of golf)
Whistling Straits (of the public options, seemed to be in the best shape. Incredible views and challenge)
Chambers Bay (unique and great views again)

I think I would play the best at St. Andrews. I'd assume I would have a caddy on all 4, so I could get some good local knowledge on how to play the course the best that I can.

1. Whistling Straits

How I would/did fare:

1. Augusta - Shot 92
2. St. Andrews - Old - Shot 88
3. Whistling Straits - Looks down right scary, but I think I could shoot in the 80s from the right tees.
4. Chambers Bay - Have no real desire to play there.

Back