Stock Market & Retirement Planning

My company was purchased recently. The job insecurity sucks (though things are now looking better) but as a stock holder the 50% premium they paid per share is very nice. I never once sold stock for gratuitous stuff so I can't really complain. But if I still owned it all now ... damn.

Uuugggghhhhhh!

I sold a bunch of stock yesterday I bought for $12 a share a year ago and as of yesterday I sold at $38.12 a share. Now looking for my next adventure.

Nice. Do you think Disney gets under 100?

As a shareholder, I have mixed views. On one hand you never like to lose money. On the other, I am biding my time to jump back in because I believe that 2016 will be a record year for the company.

As a shareholder, I have mixed views. On one hand you never like to lose money. On the other, I am biding my time to jump back in because I believe that 2016 will be a record year for the company.

Why JB?

Multiple reasons.
First off theme park changes
Then add Star Wars, Marvel and Multiple Disney Franchise Sequels that are going to all do huge revenue.
Then add belief that they will be right behind the forefront of streaming for pay (CBS & HBO & Netflix own the forefront)

Makes sense, were share holders too, I've been wondering if and when to grab more.

Makes sense, were share holders too, I've been wondering if and when to grab more.

Im no fortune teller (otherwise I wouldnt be here), but my gut says the fall based on the quote "some less subscribers" in bundling packages will come back and then add what I outlined in the future.

I'll watching for sure, and likely take a leap of faith. I've done fairly well with the mouse over the years

I'll watching for sure, and likely take a leap of faith. I've done fairly well with the mouse over the years

Not too many as steady as DIS. I wonder what the diff. is between now and Summer/Fall 08 and Spring/Summer of '11. Those were that 2 larger dips.

looking at the year chart (8/2014 -8/2015) the low was around $86 and currently is trading at $105 or so, if someone had some cash ready to jump in, what is that price point in your opinion? does it have to get under $100 or low $90's?

I wonder if I should sell my american shared and buy Canadian ones to take advantage of that crappy Canadian Dollar we have. I have seen decent growth because everything I own in the states is now worth about 30% more here

Not too many as steady as DIS. I wonder what the diff. is between now and Summer/Fall 08 and Spring/Summer of '11. Those were that 2 larger dips.

Those dips were associated with the financial/banking crisis (Lehman, etc) in summer '08 and the US debt ceiling crisis in '11 - i.e. not necessarily specific to DIS but rather the market as a whole. This dip in DIS now is more company/earnings specific.

You can, at a basic level, parse macro vs. micro events out from each other by overlaying a DIS chart on top of the chart of an appropriate broad index (S&P500/Dow for example). Using Yahoo Finance as an example, load up your stock (DIS, in this case) and load up the chart. There's a function near the upper left corner of the chart called "Comparison". Clicking on that will allow you to add an overlay chart onto the existing one.

I'm not a trader but a medium to long term buyer of stocks. I'm going to add to my Disney position sometime soon after adding to my AAPL position this week. I think it's a no brainer that both stocks will outperform the S&P 500 over the next 18-24 months.

Those dips were associated with the financial/banking crisis (Lehman, etc) in summer '08 and the US debt ceiling crisis in '11 - i.e. not necessarily specific to DIS but rather the market as a whole. This dip in DIS now is more company/earnings specific.

You can, at a basic level, parse macro vs. micro events out from each other by overlaying a DIS chart on top of the chart of an appropriate broad index (S&P500/Dow for example). Using Yahoo Finance as an example, load up your stock (DIS, in this case) and load up the chart. There's a function near the upper left corner of the chart called "Comparison". Clicking on that will allow you to add an overlay chart onto the existing one.

Great idea. I used Yahoo Finance quite a bit. I've done stock-to-stock compares. But, never a stock-to-index compare. Thanks for the tip!

What a bloodbath this week for the stock market, it's worst week in 18 months. Hopefully this downturn stops and doesn't turn into a full blown recession!

What a bloodbath this week for the stock market, it's worst week in 18 months. Hopefully this downturn stops and doesn't turn into a full blown recession!

It's all part of China's plan. From what few things I have read or seen, it appears they want to change their way of doing business and if I understand it correctly get away from some or a lot of the exporting they are doing.

I sold my position in HD. Looking to get into Netflix or Disney after the latest drop

No need to panic if you're allocating properly. When the market tanked in 2009, I just rode the wave and came out happy on the back end. Never understood the folks who constantly sell-buy based on these cycles. Dollar cost averaging is the way to go...

Last edited:
JB, Go pro has been hammered lately. Are you in buy mode again?

JB, Go pro has been hammered lately. Are you in buy mode again?

Nope. Everything has been hammered so I put money into a few other things. Now its hold on tight.

Nope. Everything has been hammered so I put money into a few other things. Now its hold on tight.

Is this play money you have on the side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this play money you have on the side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahah. I wish, but sort of. Its our savings account and part of our future. I am a huge believer in planning for the future and doing whatever possible to make sure it is handled properly. As a small business owner, we dont have the luxury of a business matching retirement plan or anything of the sort, so its very important to have assets and options for later on in life.

Back