What does your game need?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What do you think your game needs to get to the next level? Is your tempo whacked? Your alignment sloppy? Do you have the wrong equipment?

I've been evaluating my current game and have noticed some things that seem to be keeping me where I am. My tempo has changed a bit this year and not for the better, I've gotten faster than usual and I'm also beginning to break down my left arm rather than keeping it straight, my alignment has always been off but I've learned to adjust it and play with it but lately I've gotten sloppy with it and everything is going right about 20 yds more than the norm.

I have made a decision to fix the tempo first and part of that is getting irons back to a profile and swing weight I'm famiar with, second is today down alignment sticks for a couple months and third is to focus on fundamentals like a neutral grip.

how about you?

Last edited:
A purpose. I need a reason to play and be motivated.

I've been that way the whole year Joe, the one thing I can think of that hasn't occurred this year is I have t been to an official THP event so far. I hope your motivation comes back soon dude, you're too good to let it go but I understand.

same here & i have nothing coming up...so its off to the tennis courts

Little tempo work, and some putting help. My putting this week outside 5ft was pretty rough. Then again, the greens I was on were kinda sloped so that made things tough.

I need to get my tee game under control again because there's too many big misses at the wrong time for me to score well these days. I also need to get back to being comfortable around the greens with any shot. I used to just step up and "chip it" or "pitch it" but now I'm mentally and physically inept if I miss a green.

Consistency. Depending on the round, different parts of my game decide to show up; if I'm driving well, putting goes out the window, etc.

Consistent ball striking. The course was crowded yesterday and I had a 3 handicapper catch me on the 4th hole yesterday and told him he was more than welcome to join me if he didn't mind watching a pretty good game of "hack and scramble". I played 2 over from that point on and, despite his shots being much longer, straighter and prettier, I beat him by probably 2 or 3 strokes.

Alignment is probably my biggest issue. Never been much of a range guy but think it is about time that I get out there for some serious work with the aid of alignment sticks.

Better alignment, and a more consistent swing path.

Patience. I was having a good ball striking day yesterday until my patience finally wore thin. The course was so crowed due to gorgeous weather that playing golf became unbearable. My partners and I finally packed it in on hole #14 and headed to the parking lot. Slow play kills me and I'm not sure if there is a cure for having to sit and wait on each and every hole. Maybe not play on the weekends is my answer. It would definitely save me some bucks for the year as my club has a mon - fri package for seniors and pay a reduced rate. This may happen.

Defeat the course and par?

For me it is focus, both more and less at the same time. More focus on my shot and the job in front of me, and much less on my swing.

I would have to say tempo which is what I think (for me) brings about consistency and good ball striking in general. But there is also something imo to be said for "feel" for your swing. And sometimes I am not so sure if feel leads to good tempo or visa versa. Sometimes ya just cant get comfy and find your swing. I think the two are tied together if not one in the same.

I just need to ingrain my swing changes and I think I am close to scratch.

That's a goal, not a purpose. At least not for pushing me to get better.
To each his own, Joe. I find that it gives me purpose, but I can see how it might not for others. Ever consider playing any local tournaments?

Consistency in alignment and swing path. I can pull or push the driver depending on ball position and my typical miss with irons is a push. I can strengthen my grip and make the ball draw more, but its still too much of a push and comes up short of my target line most of the time.

I could also use a lot more short game practice. I've pretty much eliminated the "2 chips", but don't get the ball close enough to the pin for a comfortable 1 putt near as often as I would like.

my alignment, and my short-medium game.. if i can get these right my game will improve loads.

Tempo work for me, especially with long irons and driver. Putting and chip/pitches are the other two. Have been slacking on short game practice and when working on full swing have lost focus on the range.

Consistency, and a better memory.

Consistency - I can play great golf (for me), but there are always 1 or 2 holes that give me problems.

Better Memory - if I messed up hitting 5wood from the fairway last round from this exact spot, and the time before that, I need to remember that. Maybe 5wood isn't the right choice at that moment.

Need to get my hands out of the picture because they sure like to control my swing. My conditioning needs to be a lot better as well.

Tempo work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All aspects of my short game need to get better. Sand saves, green side chipping, partial wedges and my putting all could use improvement. The problem is finding the time to practice all the different types of shots under 50 yards. A pesky thing called work keeps getting in my way.

a better operator

Back