Trackman Teaching Series - Spinning Your Wedges

-CRW-

Reaction score
Interesting info in this video:

I generally grab my 58* wedge for a 50 yard pitch shot. Apparently my 54* might be more ideal for getting the spin right. I'm going to have to try it out on course side by side with the 58* and see what works better for me.

Unless there is is a hazard I need to get it over and land it soft, im going 54 from that distance every time. Flight it down, control the distance and spin.

Nice video.
I have been working on that shot with my instructor without a TrackMan. He tells me the same things - low trajectory, small (if any) divot, lots of spin, but I need to start swinging for the draw, as I usually try for the fade.

I agree with jlukes, unless there is something preventing me from playing the low shot, I take the lower loft every time. I'd much rather play a low shot that checks hard than a high shot that sits down soft, I just feel like I can zip it in and stop it where I want. I think it removes some of the roll out guesswork as I have a pretty good idea that it's going to stop where I want.

I admit this is a shot that I need to work on. I'm better than average from this range and I get the ball to stop but not really check up as such. Can't wait to try this out for myself!!! Thanks for posting the video.

Thanks for posting this video. I have to admit that I have usually reached for the 58* and gone with a 7:00 P elz shot from this distance. It is a harder shot for me. I'll spend some time working on this one and see how it goes.

cool video! This is something that I need to work on, so this will be studied a few times!

I worked on it some yesterday and wonder if I'm not getting enough shaft lean or am otherwise missing something. I used my 54* instead of my 58* and while the shots with the 54 were noticeably lower than those of the 58, I'm not sure if the height is still too high. I was on the range though and not hitting to a green so I wasn't able to get an idea of the difference in spin and the amount of check the shot would produce. I'm going to try some tomorrow after my son's First Tee practice to get a better idea - it's three par 3 holes from 40-120 yards or so and no one will be there after practice ends.

ETA: I did watch the video again and I guess my ball flight looked about the same as the shot with the lower lofted wedge in the video.

You learn something new every day. Great explanation in the video. Will try this out when I get home and go practice.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

I saw this video last month. I have been working hard on this shot since then. Have hit some amazing looking shots. And air mailed the green a few times when I don't get it right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I worked on it some yesterday and wonder if I'm not getting enough shaft lean or am otherwise missing something. I used my 54* instead of my 58* and while the shots with the 54 were noticeably lower than those of the 58, I'm not sure if the height is still too high. I was on the range though and not hitting to a green so I wasn't able to get an idea of the difference in spin and the amount of check the shot would produce. I'm going to try some tomorrow after my son's First Tee practice to get a better idea - it's three par 3 holes from 40-120 yards or so and no one will be there after practice ends.

ETA: I did watch the video again and I guess my ball flight looked about the same as the shot with the lower lofted wedge in the video.

The player in the video looked to be a low-handicapper. That's not to say don't keep trying it, but as Matt Kuchar would say "Your results may vary."

Thanks for posting. I have been coming in higher wanting to hit low. Tomorrow we shall try using a lower wedge.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Just to follow up, I've been working on this and am not a fan of attempting the shot with my 54* wedge. It must be a bounce/sole issue because I find it really easy to skull the shot with my 54*, but that almost never happens with my 58*. The bounce on my 54* is 10*, and the bounce on my 58* is 8*. I wouldn't think 2* would make a difference, but my 50* wedge has 8* of bounce and I can hit it fine like I can with my 58* wedge. So either it's the bounce or it's the sole/grind. Even when I lean the shaft forward more on the 54* to lower the leading edge, I still have mixed results that I wouldn't trust on course. I might have to try more with the 50* to see how it performs on longer pitches.

Use the trajectory of higher lofted wedges (58-60) to stop the ball, not necessarily spin. You def want a 52-54 to create a low spinner

Unless the situation calls for the 58*, I usually go for the 54* for all approach shots from 70-40 yards. I do want to work on spin and am probably learning bad habits from YouTube videos. Will give this one a go.

I will have to try out the 54 option,I usually hit my 58 with a half back and half through. I can create quite a bit of spin which sometimes leads to a bad position on the green

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I practiced this shot out on the range and liked it. One thing I am not sure though is just how much roll out to expect when trying this on the course.

A 45-50 yd shot I'm using my SW on it and just doing a quick turn with my hips enough to get the ball on the green. Nothing fancy.

Back