PXG Rumored To Have Signed 5 in Top 50

PXG doesn't make balls so it's not a stretch to be under a ball contract. And he's under contract until the end of the year

Good point....BUT....it just seems silly to me that they'd mention him (if he wasn't going to be playing fully equipment). Honestly, who cares if he'd be playing their ball if he dropped all their equipment. That's just my thinking anyway.

Good point....BUT....it just seems silly to me that they'd mention him (if he wasn't going to be playing fully equipment). Honestly, who cares if he'd be playing their ball if he dropped all their equipment. That's just my thinking anyway.

I doubt these guys will have 14 PXG clubs in the bag. My guess is TM could still have a driver deal in place even if they lose someone to PXG.

He's also on the M1 posters we have at DSG. Like Fupy said, DJ is signed through the year, which means they have plenty of time and other people to take over in those areas for marketing if he does go to PXG. It could also be for just irons or bag or whatever as TM does have the precedent of a lot of driver only deals on tour. It just proves he does move the needle some and would be a snag by PXG.

I'd be surprised if they can fashion a big public footprint with sales.

It is a nice product with a particular niche.

Wives won't put up with a $2.5k-3k iron set, $700 drivers (before other work), etc. unless the guy is a millionaire plus... and I guess that 1% is growing.

"Currently, PXG clubs are being sold at Scottsdale National, a private club Parsons bought in Arizona in 2013 for $600,000 and Cool Clubs, a high-end custom club-fitting studio with 16 locations worldwide. Parsons said he will soon open a 40,000-square foot facility for custom fitting, club testing and office space in Scottsdale."

He says this high end market is not served by others -- Miura, Endo (Epon), Edel, etc. would disagree. BUT they will not market like Parsons.

This will be interesting to see how it pans out....I do see Dj joining them and for some reason Rickie.....

Im going to go by Champions Golf and look at the wedges on Friday. Interested to see how they feel and how much they cost

They this all the time other players who are not fully Taylormade though. They Claim JB Holmes when he does well.

I doubt these guys will have 14 PXG clubs in the bag. My guess is TM could still have a driver deal in place even if they lose someone to PXG.

I can see it the other way too - depending on how much money Parsons is throwing around, I can see them asking that they carry most, if not all clubs. This will be interesting to follow.

I will be on the lookout for the 40K sq ft fitting center - my curiosity will get the better of me and I will check out the clubs.

I will be on the lookout for the 40K sq ft fitting center - my curiosity will get the better of me and I will check out the clubs.

Cool Clubs on Scottsdale Road has them in stock.

Obviously you can sign anyone for enough money. The question I have is how do they possibly have enough money to sign DJ?

It would completely work, if they signed DJ about 10 million people would check out their website that day. Cobra golf was pretty much dead in the water until they signed Rickie, and now look at them.

What do these clubs retail for?

Obviously you can sign anyone for enough money. The question I have is how do they possibly have enough money to sign DJ?

It would completely work, if they signed DJ about 10 million people would check out their website that day. Cobra golf was pretty much dead in the water until they signed Rickie, and now look at them.

Well Parsons is a billionaire.
Not sure I agree on the Cobra thing, but Rickie is a popular player.

Well Parsons is a billionaire.
Not sure I agree on the Cobra thing, but Rickie is a popular player.

That answers my question. All I knew about PXG was what they looked like, and that Ryan Moore was playing them. I didn't know who the owner was.

That answers my question. All I knew about PXG was what they looked like, and that Ryan Moore was playing them. I didn't know who the owner was.

Someone said to me last week at a shaft company. "Golf business, quickest way to make a billionaire, a millionaire". :D

I can see it the other way too - depending on how much money Parsons is throwing around, I can see them asking that they carry most, if not all clubs. This will be interesting to follow.

I believe there are very few 100% one OEM contracts. As independent contractors, your players can make more piecing together multiple OEMS than they can with one. That being said, if the gear works for them, Parsons has deeeeep pockets and take care of them. It will be interesting to if some or all fill their bags

Someone said to me last week at a shaft company. "Golf business, quickest way to make a billionaire, a millionaire". :D

Yeah, I'm not sure what the actual data is, but the golf club industry seems like it has to be one of the hardest places to be a start up in. I'm a golf nut, I've been playing my whole life, but I have to be honest, it would take an awful lot to get me to try and purchase from an unknown company.

Any idea how Hopkins is doing? Even his initial Ad-campaign was based on that he used to work for Cleveland.

I believe there are very few 100% one OEM contracts. As independent contractors, your players can make more piecing together multiple OEMS than they can with one. That being said, if the gear works for them, Parsons has deeeeep pockets and take care of them. It will be interesting to if some or all fill their bags

Yeah the other fact of players filling their pockets with sponsorships is that the clubs actually do have to work. These guys have raw talent and basically can hit a ball with a stick and brick attached to the end of it but I'm sure there is a whole lot of performance that these guys want out of their clubs and expect and demand. It's got to be there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With their proposed price points, I don't ever see them being a mainstream brand. That's just me though

With their proposed price points, I don't ever see them being a mainstream brand. That's just me though

There is an entire world of golfers in the US who pay for brands like XXIO and Miura and have no issues doing it. Even if he siphons a portion of the business they have a chance to succeed. Especially if they arent sitting on tons of inventory which it looks like they are keeping it boutique.

There is an entire world of golfers in the US who pay for brands like XXIO and Miura and have no issues doing it. Even if he siphons a portion of the business they have a chance to succeed. Especially if they arent sitting on tons of inventory which it looks like they are keeping it boutique.

Think those golfers look to DJ or other tour players like him for validation on what they are playing? Or is it the opposite in that if the mainstream starts playing them, the niche buyer no longer wants them?

Im conflicted. On one side, we heard the same thing about Tesla and their cars. Now people are clamoring for that $30k vehicle. I believe it will be harder for that brand to sell their 115k vehicle if they are mass producing a 30k car. On the other side, they are not having Bob Smith AutoNationWay selling their vehicles on every corner.

My gut says you have to choose one way or the other.

Good points, but doesn't that make it a boutique brand and not a mainstream brand?

Think those golfers look to DJ or other tour players like him for validation on what they are playing? Or is it the opposite in that if the mainstream starts playing them, the niche buyer no longer wants them?

Im conflicted. On one side, we heard the same thing about Tesla and their cars. Now people are clamoring for that $30k vehicle. I believe it will be harder for that brand to sell their 115k vehicle if they are mass producing a 30k car. On the other side, they are not having Bob Smith AutoNationWay selling their vehicles on every corner.

I guess I look at it like this; look at a lot of the sponsors on PGA player clothing that none of us will ever use or afford - Netjets, Wheels Up, Rolex, Omega, Emirates Airlines, Jumeirah Hotels.

Is it a stretch that a boutique brand go mainstream but at the same time remain out of the reach of most of the people watching golf?

I agree. I don't think it can be both. I go years with out seeing Miura irons in person. They are firmly in my opinion a boutique brand - same as these I feel like.

I guess I look at it like this; look at a lot of the sponsors on PGA player clothing that none of us will ever use or afford - Netjets, Wheels Up, Rolex, Omega, Emirates Airlines, Jumeirah Hotels.

Is it a stretch that a boutique brand go mainstream but at the same time remain out of the reach of most of the people watching golf?

This is a good point but don't they still stay boutique brands?

With hard goods golf equipment? Yes, I think its a stretch.
Personal opinion based on every brand I can think of that went this route.

The difference is, the blowhard at the top, has a ton of money to lose before going away compared to the others.

Back