Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently pondering adding the XR Pro set AW. My current gap between the PW and a 52* Vokey is proving problematic. Of course, if I do that, I probably also need to switch to a 54/58 setup instead of 56/60.

blue Fly-Z+ 3 wood, tour blue 65
blue Fly-Z+ 5 wood, tour blue 75

just gimme another 150% trade in bonus event, golfsmith!

Pondering....A set of my own.

Recently gave up Billiards in favor of Golf. Now I find myself playing a sport just as frequently as I was playing the previous (which I quit because I didn't feel it was frequent enough.)

Anyway, with that being said, Golf is one of those sports that I use to play a single round of once every 2 - 4 years, just to get a laugh out of how badly I performed... I like to imagine I looked like a nerdy white guy trying to play a game of pickup ball.

I know play anywhere from 2-5 half rounds a week, and while the performance improvement is only marginal, I am taking the game much more serious.

I've been playing with a pair of lent clubs, consisting of a dated Mac Driver, Adams 5 Wood, and Ping Zing Irons. I rather enjoy the Irons, outside of the fact that they've setup, in poor weather conditions, for the last 5 years, and the grips are in such a poor state that they literally ripped my hands open on the first round I gamed them. I struggle tremendously with the driver off the Tee. I mean, I slice so bad you've got to literally turn 60* to try to spot where it has touched down. I struggle with the wood off of tight lies, and find my shots considerably inconsistent from one hole to the next.

With that being said, the first step I took was a rather uneducated one... I immediately fell for the hype of the older Ping Eye 2 irons, and for some reason thought it would be smart to piece together a partial set of BeCu clubs, which I could have fit to myself, rather than pay for regripping and extending the existing set of Zings.

The Eye 2s are a sad sight, that while I originally thought were all deals, I've now come to realize were a mistake.

The mixed, non-matching (serial or otherwise), consist of the following:

1i - Black Dot - Graphite shaft, 2i that is missing a paint fill and I am unsure of what lie angle it may be set to, 3i - Red Dot - Steel shaft, and then 4i,5i,6i all in Black Dot - with Steel shafts. Plus a PW - Blue Dot - Steel shaft. All of these clubs are BeCu. Also, performance with each of these is extremely questionable, as I don't feel that I possess the skill set necessary to play these irons well, nor do I think that the smaller head and reduced forgiveness will assist me towards becoming a more consistent player at my current handicap.

I also picked up a Ping ISI 3i and LW in BeCu in a White Dot & Black Dot lie, with Steel shafts. I haven't gamed the 3i enough to determine if I like it over the smaller sized Zing head, but I do love the LW.

TL:DR

Pondering selling the Eye 2s and ISI 3i, in favor of purchasing a new set that I can have specifically fitted to me, for my current needs, as opposed to having work done on the Zings, which would effectively be a waste of money come time to give them back to their proper owner.

Here are club sets that I have interest in, strictly based off aesthetics and no educated understanding of their quality or ability to assist my game:

Mizuno
MP 33/37/52/53/57/58/60/67/68/ or TP9s

Titelist
MB 710/712s, ZB Forged, or ZM

TaylorMade
TP MB/CB/MC, SLDR, RocketBalls/Bladez, Burner 1.0/2.0/2009/Super Launch, R11/R7/R9/ or RBZ Pro

Cleveland
588TT, CG1/CG16, HB/HB3, or High Bore.

Also partial to Ping, because of my current experience.

Would look at: ISI/K, i3, G5, or any G-series within a set price range of $150-$250 for a used set.

Interested in a set that would include 3i - PW/SW

Here are club sets that I have interest in, strictly based off aesthetics and no educated understanding of their quality or ability to assist my game:

Mizuno
MP 33/37/52/53/57/58/60/67/68/ or TP9s

Titelist
MB 710/712s, ZB Forged, or ZM

TaylorMade
TP MB/CB/MC, SLDR, RocketBalls/Bladez, Burner 1.0/2.0/2009/Super Launch, R11/R7/R9/ or RBZ Pro

Cleveland
588TT, CG1/CG16, HB/HB3, or High Bore.

Also partial to Ping, because of my current experience.

Would look at: ISI/K, i3, G5, or any G-series within a set price range of $150-$250 for a used set.

Interested in a set that would include 3i - PW/SW

First off, Welcome to THP! secondly, welcome to the game of golf!

Based off the sets you named, most are going to be extremely difficult to hit. While pretty, most of them require a good bit of skill to strike them well and consistently, as they are almost all bladed sets that you listed. Out of them, I would say the best options would be either the Taylormade SLDR, or Burner 2.0's.

If you are partial to Ping however, anything in their G series line up is a great thing to look into. I played the Ping G5's for a long time, and they were great irons, especially starting out. You can pick up a set on ebay of G5's or G10's for under $200 in pretty good shape.

As for the set make up, I might recommend ending your irons at most at the 4 iron, but might even suggest stopping at the 5i and getting hybrids instead. Just a suggestion, but 3 irons in general are very hard to hit, and most good to great players I know don't even carry one.

Happy pondering/shopping! there are a lot of smarter more qualified people on this site than I am that are more than willing to help out as well. You could even start your own thread and get a lot of great advice on there.

An Odyssey metal-x milled #7 that's never seen a course for $75. I don't need another putter but it just seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

An Odyssey metal-x milled #7 that's never seen a course for $75. I don't need another putter but it just seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

That is a great deal. I love my mxm #7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck of a deal on a fantastic putter

Heck of a deal on a fantastic putter
Ya as much as I'm trying to resist on purchasing this putter I can't get it out of my head. It has some minor shop wear but nothing on the top line or face. Checked the PGA trade in value and it's $76 so...

Cobra King 3 fairway wood..........talk to me Fup!

Can't get the Odyssey Works 2-Ball Fang out of my mind. I played around with it again in the store yesterday and made the first two putts from 25 feet and burned the edge on the 3rd. Putting is the worst part of my game overall, but this one just feels right. May have to ask for $ for Christmas to save up for one.

Cobra King 3 fairway wood..........talk to me Fup!
Many have said the fairway is the star of the lineup. I'm eager to find out for myself

pondering some black muira's. perhaps with some matrix shafts, who knows.

I recently came into a set of MP54's, Adamw238 gave me a really good deal on them, good enough to get me to part with my MP53's. I never thought I would sell those irons... but that's neither here nor there.

The 54's are Mizuno standard, and a hair short for me. I am pondering trying to source a set of iron shafts and doing the work myself, fun fall project. I am leaning toward Recoils, Steelfibers or something like that but also have always enjoyed the feel of KBS stuff. I guess I am pretty open.

pondering some black muira's. perhaps with some matrix shafts, who knows.
Yeah I hear some crazy guy is giving away a set! ;) cb1007 are fantastic. If you like looks of a blade topline, but more perimeter weighting and Miura soft forging that is...

Yeah I hear some crazy guy is giving away a set! ;) cb1007 are fantastic. If you like looks of a blade topline, but more perimeter weighting and Miura soft forging that is...

I guess those things are ok. you know, if you're into that kind of thing

Ping S55 irons with True Temper DG shafts

I've had mine on order for almost 3 weeks now. Your turn lol

anigif_enhanced-buzz-10040-1370276853-25.gif

Solid ponder. I lust over a set of S series Pings often.

Hit that combo at the store on Monday and it's all I think about. Probably a matter of when, not if.

Spent some time with the new Apex hybrid today. Yep I want one

Spent some time with the new Apex hybrid today. Yep I want one

#jealous

That one is seriously at the top of my "must try" list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back