Lie Angle - What Are You?

As far as I know, I've always played standard.

3* upright for me.

Genuine question since I don't know. Is this a number of factors combined or mostly a swing plane that determines your lie angle?

1* up, but I think I need to get refit as I have flattened my swing out some.

3° upright (Ping color code white) and +1/4"

Yes 3° up 1" long

Never been fit but had my J15 DFs set to 1* upright for legacy and am happy with that.

1/2" over standard and 3* upright.

Was messing around today and decided to recheck my specs on the lie board since i have been working on flatening out my swing a bit. We ended up getting 3/4" over with standard lies through the set. I bent my entire set on the spot and am going out tomorrow after work to give them a test.

What is the distinct comparison in regards to length vs. lie angle.

I overheard someone saying that if you shorten a club, it makes the lie angle flatter. Is that true?

I'm 0.75° flat, red dots on my irons. But I think if I'd go fit now I wouldn't be anymore :)

I've always been 3* upright (white dot). However, when I recently got fitted we ended up going 1.5* upright (yellow dot) and +0.5" on the shaft length.

Hit off of a lie board yesterday and got some odd results.

1/2" short clubs, standard lie = lie board showed all strikes towards the heel.
Standard length and lie = lie board show all strikes dead center.

How is that even possible? I would think it would be completely opposite? Am I just crazy? I was fit into 1/2" short and standard lie. I noticed I was missing left and hitting alot of pretty big draws which is odd to see from my natural fade.

Last edited:
What is the distinct comparison in regards to length vs. lie angle.

I overheard someone saying that if you shorten a club, it makes the lie angle flatter. Is that true?

Shortening a club doesn't make the actual lie angle flatter. The lie angle is what it is, even if no shaft is attached.

However, if the lie angle fit you well when the club was longer, it will be too flat for the shorter club.
The exception is putters as most players stand very close to the ball and putt with bent elbows.
Putter lie angles are of themselves and not part of the progression.

My lie angles vis a vis lengths:

14º metal: 42.75" long, 55º lie
18º metal: 42.50" long 55º lie
21º metal: 42.25" long 56º lie
24.5º metal: 42.00" long 56º lie
18º driving iron: 39.50" long 58º lie
26º 5-iron: 38.75" long 59º lie
30º 6-iron: 38.00" long 60º lie
34º 7-iron: 37.25" long 61º lie
38º 8-iron: 36.50" long 62º lie
42º 9-iron: 36.00" long 62.5º lie
48º wedge: 35.50" long 63º lie
53º wedge: 35.50" long 63º lie
58º wedge: 35.50" long 63º lie
3.5º putter: 34.00" long 71.5º lie

Shortening a club doesn't make the actual lie angle flatter. The lie angle is what it is, even if no shaft is attached.

However, if the lie angle fit you well when the club was longer, it will be too flat for the shorter club.

My lie angles vis a vis lengths:

14º metal: 42.75" long, 55º lie
18º metal: 42.50" long 55º lie
21º metal: 42.25" long 56º lie
24.5º metal: 42.00" long 56º lie
18º driving iron: 39.50" long 58º lie
26º 5-iron: 38.75" long 59º lie
30º 6-iron: 38.00" long 60º lie
34º 7-iron: 37.25" long 61º lie
38º 8-iron: 36.50" long 62º lie
42º 9-iron: 36.00" long 62.5º lie
48º wedge: 35.50" long 63º lie
53º wedge: 35.50" long 63º lie
58º wedge: 35.50" long 63º lie
3.5º putter: 34.00" long 71.5º lie

I was fit into 1/2" short clubs, but noticed I have been missing a bit left with them. Grabbed my standard, off the rack clubs and noticed the ball was going alot straighter. That made me grab the lie board and check it out.

I just figured it would be completely opposite.

I would bet it is a swing flaw, I just expected different.

If the shorter clubs have the same lie angle as the regular length ones, and you hit the regular length clubs straight, then you would probably fade, not hook, the shorter clubs because the lie angles would be too flat. We tend to hook clubs that are too upright, not too flat.

Unless, of course, you're pulling them left rather than hooking them left.

I'm guessing that if you hit regular length/regular lie clubs straight, your fitting may have been suspect.

If the shorter clubs have the same lie angle as the regular length ones, and you hit the regular length clubs straight, then you would probably fade, not hook, the shorter clubs because the lie angles would be too flat. We tend to hook clubs that are too upright, not too flat.

Unless, of course, you're pulling them left rather than hooking them left.

I'm guessing that if you hit regular length/regular lie clubs straight, your fitting may have been suspect.

That was my exact thought. I figured I would fade the shorter clubs alot more, not miss them left. It is more of a power draw. Again, it could be a total swing flaw. I just found it weird that I hit the standard clubs alot better than the ones fit for me.

If you like the look of the new club heads better, the lie angle can be set to anything you want it to be.
The shafts are, of course, totally replaceable with any length, flex, bend-point, or weight.
A shame (and expensive) not to get it right the first time, but I doubt that it's your swing all of a sudden.

Was the fitter a kid store clerk with a swing simulator or a green grass pro? If the former, they don't think that they have a purpose fitting too many people to regular specs.

If you like the look of the new club heads better, the lie angle can be set to anything you want it to be.
The shafts are, of course, totally replaceable with any length, flex, bend-point, or weight.
A shame (and expensive) not to get it right the first time, but I doubt that it's your swing all of a sudden.

Was the fitter a kid store clerk with a swing simulator or a green grass pro? If the former, they don't think that they have a purpose fitting too many people to regular specs.

It was an extremely legit fitting. I hit them super well at the fitting (slight draw). I have just noticed a big time power draw since having them on the course. I have never had the draw to my game.

It is the same shaft specs (besides length), same shaft, same flex.

With that said... it could be just a comfort thing as well. These are like month old irons that I am using and in comparison to my gamers that I have 50 rounds on.

Sure. All changes need some time before we can see where we actually are. Good luck, Sanzabar.

I was fit for..... 1"long, STD. L&L

1.5* upright

My response, Nope no clue, I play standard... in about a month I can change that!

I'm standard. Fit at Annika Academy using the ball method, not the lie angle board.

2* upright plus .5in long playing effectively at +3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what I've found interesting is how companies determine their "standard" lie angle, that I bet most don't think about.

My Bridgestone 7i is "standard" at 62.5*, while the Mizuno MP-25's 7i is "standard" at 61.5*, and the Srixon 745's 7i is 62* standard. 3 different sets, 3 different standard lie angles. 1* flat in the B-stones is actually standard in the Mizuno's, but only .5* flat in the Srixon's.

Does anyone actually get their irons set to specific lie angles instead of just a "standard" or "1* flat" setting?

Back