Horrible wear problem on Ping I e-1 irons

didn't the i25s have issues with the finish? i remember ordering mine, then starting to read about the problems with the finish. the club where i ordered mine has a set for a crazy discount because every iron has the finish issue.

i'm sorry that happened to you, and like dan i cannot IMAGINE how bag chatter could have caused that. i can envision dan aykroyd in that old "consumer probe" skit trying to say that bag o glass is perfectly safe, but the regular kids' toys were death traps.

They had a rusting issue I believe .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How the heck can they claim that as bag chatter? Can you even get another club up and under there?

I'm with you on this one Dan. That is a poor response from Ping IMO. I could really see them getting that bad from chatter even riding in a cart, let alone walking.

That is not bag chatter - they look like scratches made by a person. Do you any have small kids that may be playing around your golf bag?

Kind of stunned myself. Very odd wear pattern too.

Wow strange wear pattern, Ping will make it all good.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Wow strange wear pattern, Ping will make it all good.

I hope so too- it doesn't appear that they will

I hope so too- it doesn't appear that they will

That leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Paging Ping customer service ...get it together. It's a manufacturer defect.

Good news!! Ping came through. I stopped over at Golfsmith and taked to the people in there and they agreed there was a problem, not bag chatter. They tended to think it was whoever at Ping bent them because of the pattern and where it was in the channel on ALL the irons.

Anyway, I got back out to the car and called the rep who had just sent me an email. I talked to him and he said they will take care of it...what they will do, and even Golfsmith mentioned it, is bead blast the cavity and the back of the club to get rid of the finish. I'd rather that look anyway to be honest. I mentioned in my email that if that was normal then maybe no finish at all would be the way to go.

He still said bag chatter, I'm not going to bother arguing... especially since they are fixing it. He also said my clubs may have only got a thin coat in the cavities instead of what they were supposed to get. So he said when I'm done with them for the winter to just send them back in. No charge either!

Thank you Ping!

Do any of the other irons show similar wear?

No kids near my bag, my kids are older and my clubs to my wife are like Kryptonite to Superman. No alignment sticks, I do it the old fashioned way, lying clubs down.

First thing the manager at Golfsmith said was, " did they change the lie?". He showed me how it gets clamped and maybe the pad they use was loose or missing. He said you'd get that scratching pattern from that. Especially since there were scratches on all the clubs waay deep in the cavity. Plus he said, you'd have to use a nail or something with alot of pressure on it to get scrtaches that deep. Plus there were odd scratches he noticed on the badge.

Ping said they don't clamp them there, whatever...there was no way they were like that when I sent them down. No way a toe or anything could get down to right near the CTP and make a crecent shaped scratch like on the 4,5 and 6 irons.

I tend to beleive they did everything right when bending them but I probably had such a thin coat of the finish that it was easily scratched. At least it'll be solved...just cracks me up that I'm sending them back again!

What was the tech thinking sending them back like that after being adjusted. Glad they are fixing the issue!

Do any of the other irons show similar wear?

Yes they did Blugold but not as bad. the 4.5.and 6 irons for instance had one or 2 lines in the same semi circle pattern as the 8 iron shown but very close to the CTP. So close in fact that nothing could have got down there AND with enough pressure to scratch it.

I think my next step would have been to take pictures of ALL the irons and send those.

Azrsx, the rep even said to me, " they would never send them back to you like that" I think he did nothing wrong bending them but the coat was so thin it scratched and he thought nothing of it...probably thought they came that way since they said they have never seen that problem before.

Good news!! Ping came through. I stopped over at Golfsmith and taked to the people in there and they agreed there was a problem, not bag chatter. They tended to think it was whoever at Ping bent them because of the pattern and where it was in the channel on ALL the irons.

Anyway, I got back out to the car and called the rep who had just sent me an email. I talked to him and he said they will take care of it...what they will do, and even Golfsmith mentioned it, is bead blast the cavity and the back of the club to get rid of the finish. I'd rather that look anyway to be honest. I mentioned in my email that if that was normal then maybe no finish at all would be the way to go.

He still said bag chatter, I'm not going to bother arguing... especially since they are fixing it. He also said my clubs may have only got a thin coat in the cavities instead of what they were supposed to get. So he said when I'm done with them for the winter to just send them back in. No charge either!

Thank you Ping!

Love reading this. I had only good experiences with them, but I know others have had different. Really glad to read this.

They had a rusting issue I believe .

It wasn't rusting issues. The issue claimed was delamination of the foggy chrome finish separating away from the club surface. I have two sets of i25's, but haven't had any issues with either set.

It wasn't rusting issues. The issue claimed was delamination of the foggy chrome finish separating away from the club surface. I have two sets of i25's, but haven't had any issues with either set.
Same here, no issues whatsoever with my i25's.

At the end of the day they are doing the right thing! Good on you Ping CS. Also, kudos to the Golfsmith manager, sounds like he was pretty sharp in identifying the probable cause. Glad it worked out!

Update...right now this is "better than sex"... Jennifer called me from Ping to let me know they blasted the cavities and they were sending them back out to me. I was just about to call her back and thank her, maybe 5 minutes had gone by and she called me back. She asked me if I was in a hurry to have them back because she was looking at them and wondered if I didn't need them back right away she wanted to blast the face/whole head for me so it would look like new and uniform!!!

Holy Crap... I'm sooo friggin happy right now... I actually had goose bumps.

I told her take your time, its December in the Northeast and I'm done. Last week I used my Eye 2's, but I'm done now. I'll post pics when I get them back!

Ping Customer service rules!

That's great news, be sure to oil the nonsense out of them when you get them. I would think freshly blasted heads would rust quickly if you do not want the raw look.

Just got the irons back! They called me the other day to tell me they wanted to blast the rest of the head, unless I needed them back right away. I told to go right ahead! The 8 iron cavity, pic shows a scratch but there is nothing there. The U wedge sole had 2 scrapes form a rock and now its gone. I can't get over how good they all came out.

I think they look better than new. More of a satin finish, the faces don't have the dark metal look which I wasn't a fan of. Looks more like the s55 now, which I do like better. Could not be happier with the job they did AND they went out of their way to call me and ask if they could blast the rest of the head for me. Faces now have a bit of a rough texture to them and the mill marks on the wedges are gone.

Attachments

• Ping 8 address after.jpg
    Ping 8 address after.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Ping U wedge sole no scratch.jpg
    Ping U wedge sole no scratch.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Ping 8 iron face after.jpg
    Ping 8 iron face after.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Ping 8 iron after.jpg
    Ping 8 iron after.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
Those do look awesome, Ping should offer that finish as an option when ordering new

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I like the look of that finish.

The only thing I didn't like about the I irons was the finish on the face. Something about it being dark or whatever color and the contrast with the toe/heel area...just really was almost a reason for me to get the i25's or s55's instead.

Now the finish is friggin primo! Looks more like the s55/i25....lighter color. Love it! You guys are right, they should have went with this finish right off the bat. I'll have to get to a store this week and take a pic of mine next to the stock model.

Glad you sort it out. Same thing happened to my old r7 irons. Paint on the cavity chipped so bad I ended up remove all the paint. I m kinda regret let go at that moment becauae it didnt affect the performance.

Just purchased these clubs, but it's comforting know if it does happen to me that PING will have my back... Thanks for all the info!

This is why I didn't want to buy anything Nike, lol.

Back