Srixon Z 945 Irons - THP Review

Just flat out gorgeous! Looking forward to your thoughts on these Dan.

Those are really good looking irons! They do look a lot like my J40's, which is a really good thing. May be my next set when the J40's are retired.

Those are really good looking irons! They do look a lot like my J40's, which is a really good thing. May be my next set when the J40's are retired.

They are definitely unique to the J40 CBs, between the different sole design and the cavity of the J40, however there are definitely some similar elements which I think is great. I happen to have both near me so a couple comparison pics will help I think.

c5435b0a4b04eb871fc78d48a825e94a.jpg

2ba30e9417c17846e2a8506b4682d534.jpg

49dea650b2d88cb73f0cdee5c209f85a.jpg

Enjoy the heck out of these buddy. They are a phenomenal offering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet they are easier to hit than most would think. Just a strong looking club

I'm thrilled that they decided to bring these out in the U.S.

They are definitely unique to the J40 CBs, between the different sole design and the cavity of the J40, however there are definitely some similar elements which I think is great. I happen to have both near me so a couple comparison pics will help I think.

c5435b0a4b04eb871fc78d48a825e94a.jpg

2ba30e9417c17846e2a8506b4682d534.jpg

49dea650b2d88cb73f0cdee5c209f85a.jpg

Thanks for the comparison pics, that's awesome! I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your experience with them and how forgiving they are compared to similar clubs.

Looking forward to your thoughts. They are Beautiful clubs

Those are gorgeous. I'm looking forward to your thoughts, Dan. I really liked what Brigestone did for the soles of the J15 CBs and I will be interested to see what comparisons you may draw between the two.

Sharp looking irons, and love the side by side the J40's for comparison. Look forward to your thoughts DanielSan

man, i really dig these. thinking maybe 945 pw-7i, 745 6i-5i. but there's no a wedge in the 945, is there? these and the cobra king forged are at the top of my 2016 ponder list.

Oh my god, these are sexy!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've spent some time on the range with the z 945 irons and I'm pretty impressed so far.

Any time you gear back to a muscleback as a golfer, you strip down things like aided launch, massive off-center MOI retention, and the capacity for poor strike success. It's very interesting, and very humbling at the same time -- However some clubs make it easier to accomplish than others.

For the Z 945 irons, I was pretty surprised by the profile atop a golf ball. They aren't exactly a traditional MB profile, with a slightly elongated front-to-toe depth that presents like there might be more club there. This is an excellent feature for anyone with a contact position wide than a dime, and it does welcome some variation on strike quality horizontally across the face.

The perfection zone, not unlike the mass collection on the back of the iron suggests, is slightly heel side of center. Feedback on that portion of the face is exceptional, generating a really sound mid to mid/high launch with great responsiveness through the hands. As one moves away from that zone, there is some decent retention of distance with slight flight variation, but it's not terrible. Really, the biggest distance losses came from fat shots (and I mean bad swings) as well as bottom grooved thin shots.

Not that it should surprise, but the Z 945 irons are very responsive through vibration and sound. I have enjoyed being back with the S300 profile, and I think the UTx are a wonderful compliment to the overall package. There is no question what kind of contact I have made after each strike without having to look down at the club between the flight characteristics, and the feedback it provides.

As for any type of "V" sole, I think it's nearly a necessity and extends the reasonable handicap range of an MB iron by at least a couple of index points. I could drive through the zone at my leisure, but never really felt like I was generating too much turf (minus maybe two swings out of 100). There is something very right about this design.

I don't really think this is your 'everyday' MB and I view that as a good thing. There's room for improvement in the MB design, and adding the VT-sole and wider face are two design elements that I believe make all the difference in the world.

Great review so far Dan!

Love all your thoughts dan. Very eloquently putting into words exactly what I have found. The low groove shots I find to be most penal (excluding fat shots as those are just terrible swings), very close behind is the extreme toe balls. The toe in the long irons are more forgiving it seems as far as ball speed retention due to the tungsten. What I enjoy about these, as other MB designs, is that a poor strike will most definitely result in yardage loss, which I find to be helpful. Some other players may agree, when I make poor contact I'd rather have the short ball in play rather than the long offline shot. The summarizing point of these irons, I believe, will always be the v sole and the slightly bigger blade which make these play largely more forgiving than other mb designs. These irons provide the playability that mb players desire and a bit less intimidation.

I'm curious as to how the irons play with the V sole. Very interesting design, what are the benefits of this sole design?

Great thoughts Dan. The v sole is a great aspect of these and the heel-toe size is a benefit IMO and would be a reason I look at a set if these.

Love all your thoughts dan. Very eloquently putting into words exactly what I have found. The low groove shots I find to be most penal (excluding fat shots as those are just terrible swings), very close behind is the extreme toe balls. The toe in the long irons are more forgiving it seems as far as ball speed retention due to the tungsten. What I enjoy about these, as other MB designs, is that a poor strike will most definitely result in yardage loss, which I find to be helpful. Some other players may agree, when I make poor contact I'd rather have the short ball in play rather than the long offline shot. The summarizing point of these irons, I believe, will always be the v sole and the slightly bigger blade which make these play largely more forgiving than other mb designs. These irons provide the playability that mb players desire and a bit less intimidation.

Totally agree here my man. These are exceptionally playable to me for a blade.

I'm curious as to how the irons play with the V sole. Very interesting design, what are the benefits of this sole design?

Prevents digging, and hence, allows for the head to stay on track through the turf. At least that's how I understand it.

Oh MY, those are pretty impressive looking irons. I'm wondering how they compare to the MP-5 and Hogan Ft. Worth irons. Seem to have the Ft. Worth type sole along with more of the MP-5 muscle/channel thing going on - perhaps the best of both worlds?
Also really like the addition of tungsten in the toe, I credit that for some of the feel and forgiveness in my Adams CMBs. These will definitely be on my list of Must Swing clubs this winter!

Looking forward to more observations - Thanks!

These are still in the bag going strong. I have the black heads and I have to say the finish is incredibly durable. Few months of gaming them, numerous rounds and range sessions and this is how they look!
bea6f6429ef431f3c088f901a8ee8d84.jpg
94fee3b1d7a63d6ff5f7d2d758dba541.jpg
b851b39cb94b9ba2b2b8883e26b0c5c3.jpg
a7386ac391f62d3ffbef218faa842af1.jpg

These are still in the bag going strong. I have the black heads and I have to say the finish is incredibly durable. Few months of gaming them, numerous rounds and range sessions and this is how they look!

When you're done with those let me know. Such good looking irons.

They look good Kang, how many rounds would you say you have with those?

Back