Is the world trending in the right direction?

Thanks to everyone for answering and providing your reasoning. I'll back off now as I know I'm derailing this a bit, but I'll just say that things are rarely as simple as they seem and I personally would rather help more people who really do need it rather than causing harm to innocents caught in the crossfire of trying to eliminate handouts.

Hey man they are your opinions and you haven't said anything offensive. Its all good when all type of people can come together and put everything out there and try to come up with new and better ideas to change our world.

I told my first wife, when all the social media became popular, that that may be the start of the end. ( not of our marriage - that's a story for another day! ) It gives a voice to far to many that not only don't deserve it, but it will be downright dangerous. Those on fringes, throughout time, have been swayed by hatred, anger, envy, etc. Now those on the fringes aren't really on the fringes, and it seems like there are far more angry people, full of hatred than ever. Maybe there isn't, maybe it's the same as ever, but the social media and the media in general has given a powerful platform to mobilize those that are, and even if that number is the same, it is still frightening. And the media has become a joke. Break the story first regardless - who cares if it's wrong or the damage it causes. Bad news sells, and they know it.

Hey man they are your opinions and you haven't said anything offensive. Its all good when all type of people can come together and put everything out there and try to come up with new and better ideas to change our world.

Agree 100% bud. I just know I've taken this thing off the original topic so I've decided to stop Bogarting the entire thread haha

I know you are a caring guy Ryan, but something else you have to think about, is how do we continue to pay for all this stuff. I mean our debt is only 18 trillion now

Thanks to everyone for answering and providing your reasoning. I'll back off now as I know I'm derailing this a bit, but I'll just say that things are rarely as simple as they seem and I personally would rather help more people who really do need it rather than causing harm to innocents caught in the crossfire of trying to eliminate handouts.

I know you are a caring guy Ryan, but something else you have to think about, is how do we continue to pay for all this stuff. I mean our debt is only 18 trillion now

Definitely a fair point, but consider this. US National Debt is 18 trillion according to Wikipedia, which is 106% of our GDP. Consider some other countries with better programs for unemployment (as well as higher amounts of vacation pay, better leave for mothers, etc.) with comparable or lower national debt rates:

Canada: 92% GDP
Australia: 95% GDP
Finland: 94% GDP

I'm not sure what the answer is exactly, but clearly they're on the right track. Also worth noting: nearly every civilized country on the planet has a national debt ratio similar (or much greater than) their GDP - the UK's is around 400% and Luxembourg's is an astounding 3,400%. It makes you wonder, how much does it ultimately matter?

EDIT: A better measure is net international investment position (NIIP), which shows the different between a nation's credit agreements vs it's debtor agreements. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_international_investment_position
Notice how high Norway is on this list, with a NIIP of +171%. Yet, they have once of the highest human development indices in the world and have a much more complete social program than most nations, including in the area of unemployment aid. The US, by contrast, is at -40% and its programs are much less generous.

Side tangent here: What is always interesting to me is how much of a hard time my company has hiring qualified people. I am talking good, high paying jobs but we can't find anyone with the necessary skills.

Lack of skills is preventing this in lots of fields. I saw a stat a few months back that showed there are over 300k high paying jobs that don't require a college education but are having a hard time being filled because the population lacks the skill set to fill them. I don't remember if it was same article or another but the stigma of factory work is hurting some high paying factory jobs because people don't want to work in factories even though lots of these positions aren't the manual labor job but require technical skills. Add in the push to get away from vocational training/education in high school and that colleges are still teaching courses/degrees that don't have any openings in the job market or are a dying job.

I have never been one of those people with a negative outlook. But this is that time where I see it first hand that we are headed down the wrong path. People are so into their own thing and not anything outside of their little worlds. People are so hypersensitive to every little thing that it creating a sense of entitlement among the younger generation. Everything is about bullying when sometimes it just hard to face the truth. This ISIS thing is going to get bigger and worse before it gets better.

Lack of skills is preventing this in lots of fields. I saw a stat a few months back that showed there are over 300k high paying jobs that don't require a college education but are having a hard time being filled because the population lacks the skill set to fill them. I don't remember if it was same article or another but the stigma of factory work is hurting some high paying factory jobs because people don't want to work in factories even though lots of these positions aren't the manual labor job but require technical skills. Add in the push to get away from vocational training/education in high school and that colleges are still teaching courses/degrees that don't have any openings in the job market or are a dying job.

I was thinking about this the other day when hearing about a college march about raising the minimum wage. We offer 3-4 times what they are asking for someone with the proper experience/training, and can't find anybody qualified. There are still jobs available out there for people with the right skills.

I think it's a mix, there is a lot of great stuff happening in our country, amazing strides in technology, our economy although debatable is in better shape than it was a few years ago, fuel costs are down and I feel as though we are relatively safe as a nation. Personal healthcare is broken and will bankrupt many families, Greed is alive.

The racial divide is significantly worse than in past years, the economic divide is growing and the disconnect between the working and unemployed is growing and has more emotion behind it.

It's like anything else, we ride the bubble until it breaks and then we build another one and ride it. You can look at the doom or look at your personal happiness and growth, there's something for everyone.

Not sure which way the world as a whole is trending. I guess for me, I believe in law of attraction and energy, and that in a way you can create you're own reality. There are so many positive things to focus on, I just try to stay in the positive. It can be hard when you see so much negative in the media or even from the people around you. But for me, looking at the glass half full has really been life changing.

The good:

There have been great strides in medicine as well as technology, including a private company reaching space with a manned craft.

The bad:

Technology has allowed those that do evil to broadcast their intentions and deeds instantaneously, thereby offending/terrorizing a worldwide audience.

The news media has transformed from an unbiased investigative reporter of the facts into a partisan entertainment industry.

America Specific:

The concept of social promotion vs merit based promotion (ie you actually have to do the work well) in our schools has led to high school "graduates" that lack the skill sets (both social and educational) necessary to be successful in college or in the workforce. If you need further proof this seems to be a common topic by teachers/employers in the rant thread.

I can agree with this. I am with you that such programs should be used as a way to hold yourself up while you find another line of gainful employment. The ultimate question is, for the people who fall through the cracks and do end up in these systems for a long period of time - whose fault is it? Is it theirs? Is it a tough job market? Is it the system itself? Or a mix? I think there are probably several cases for each blamed party, and it's sorting out whose fault it really is that's the difficulty. The current system allows freeloaders to profit, but a tougher system might squash people who are circumstantially handicapped. The question is, which way are you content to err?
I live in an entitlement/nanny state. In 2014 California ranked as the 7th or 8th (depending on factors) largest economy in the world and the largest segment of our budget goes to social programs. Yes, at worst we have the 8th largest economy in the world and over half of our population is on assistance. Which means their housing, medical, dental, food, and even their cellphone is provided. Plus, they are given social security and disability cash benefits which are tax free. Though if they do file taxes, they receive a refund.

A few Governors ago, there was a push to return our assistance programs back to just that, assistance for those that need it versus a way of life. It was met by a huge uproar from advocacy groups (who are funded by these programs) as well as lawmakers who, in various speeches, said that the Governor's plan would violate the people's constitutional right to welfare. I looked, I couldn't find that amendment. :confused2:

This wasn't meant to be political. I think that our current situation morphed out of people's desire to do the right thing by helping those that needed it. Unfortunately, it's become an unsustainable juggernaut IMHO.

Let me clear something up. My views on our current path do not spill over in my daily life. I do not look over my shoulder, I do not walk on egg shells and my kids aren't anymore spoiled than I was. I choose not to dwell on our path but I am well aware of where we could be headed. Maybe I'm too trusting but it makes me happy and I hope I spears this to all I touch.

More and more countries are becoming secular.

Not a positive, and in fact, contributing to many of society's problems.

Obviously religion has many faults, including being the reasoning for wars. But it's a scary thought to think of a world without the positive influences of religion.

A few Governors ago, there was a push to return our assistance programs back to just that, assistance for those that need it versus a way of life. It was met by a huge uproar from advocacy groups (who are funded by these programs) as well as lawmakers who, in various speeches, said that the Governor's plan would violate the people's constitutional right to welfare. I looked, I couldn't find that amendment. :confused2:

What would be the mechanism for doing this, exactly? Setting a limit for how long one can be on welfare? Mandatory job seeking of some sort?

The welfare state gets a bad rap because of the perceived costs and associated ineffectiveness - however, in most Nordic countries (yes I'm using the example again), substantial drops in poverty rates are observed through the use of such a system. And in Iceland, there is a "welfare-to-work" model that allows people on welfare to make contributions to society in return for the help they receive.

I think we can both agree that reform is needed here, it's just a matter of how.

There is good happening. I see it every day.

Bad, scary news sells easier than good news. It's easy to get wrapped up in the negative, but there is plenty of positive out there. You just have to look.

Is nobody afraid of AI and robots taking over the world!?

What would be the mechanism for doing this, exactly? Setting a limit for how long one can be on welfare? Mandatory job seeking of some sort?

The welfare state gets a bad rap because of the perceived costs and associated ineffectiveness - however, in most Nordic countries (yes I'm using the example again), substantial drops in poverty rates are observed through the use of such a system. And in Iceland, there is a "welfare-to-work" model that allows people on welfare to make contributions to society in return for the help they receive.

I think we can both agree that reform is needed here, it's just a matter of how.
Yes, 5 years unless they met certain criteria. During those 5 years it would be mandated that they participated in the provided (free) educational/vocational programs so they would be prepared to enter the workforce. Limited extensions to the 5 year training/education were also authorized on a case by case basis.

The Icelandic model was also discussed and it was determined that "forcing" someone to work for their benefits would violate their civil liberties.

Who knows. Maybe we're already in the Matrix and this is all just a nightmare err I mean dream.
You have to admit, I rocked that sarong!

Yes, 5 years unless they met certain criteria. During those 5 years it would be mandated that they participated in the provided (free) educational/vocational programs so they would be prepared to enter the workforce. Limited extensions to the 5 year training/education were also authorized on a case by case basis.

The Icelandic model was also discussed and it was determined that "forcing" someone to work for their benefits would violate their civil liberties.

That makes quite a bit of sense to me. Also, the complaint on the Icelandic model is inane...the rest of us work for our benefits, why shouldn't they?

You have to admit, I rocked that sarong!

HA! That you did my friend, that you did :beauty:

At a minimum self driving cars scare me. I hear Apple is possibly building a car. If it is anywhere near as buggy as their developer tools no way I am riding in one of those.

At a minimum self driving cars scare me. I hear Apple is possibly building a car. If it is anywhere near as buggy as their developer tools no way I am riding in one of those.
You obviously have never driven in Cali. A self driving car using Windows ME would be 1000% better than the majority of CA "drivers". Put it this way. If breeding was as difficult for these people as driving, we would have the population of Alaska.

Not a positive, and in fact, contributing to many of society's problems.

Obviously religion has many faults, including being the reasoning for wars. But it's a scary thought to think of a world without the positive influences of religion.
I politely disagree. Especially in this country where religion is used to refute science and deny rights to people.

Let me clear something up. My views on our current path do not spill over in my daily life. I do not look over my shoulder, I do not walk on egg shells and my kids aren't anymore spoiled than I was. I choose not to dwell on our path but I am well aware of where we could be headed. Maybe I'm too trusting but it makes me happy and I hope I spears this to all I touch.

Well said. Food for thought.

I politely disagree. Especially in this country where religion is used to refute science and deny rights to people.

Did you up and move to Saudi Arabia?

Back