Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Sounds like a money maker to me. What does bumping it up 2 degrees do to the face? Closed or open?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

It closes it a touch. I dont even notice to be honest.

Going to be heading to the range this morning to do some GBB testing and then playing tomorrow. Looking forward to getting this one in play. Made one small adjustment, with a grip change, but other than that, this club has stayed as it is/was. 1 small tick towards the fade setting on the sliding weight. Loft at 11* from the 9* head. And the Lamkin uTX grip.

How did the hashimoto work out?

I found turning mine down to 8 deg helped both the launch and distance some (getting some roll out), but I still hit it pretty darn high on some swings. Must need to have another Panda look to see if he can get me back on track again.

I came home to a long skinny box sitting on the porch this evening. I love those boxes, but this one is special from the Holliday Cheer giveaway. 9* head, Speeder 665 stiff shaft, now I just need time to get it out. If the weather cooperates I should be able take it for a test drive some time this week. It's the first one I've seen without the wrapper on the head and I love the matte black finish, it looks like it's ready for work!

Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Callaway GBB

[video=youtube;N4umAiK7-dY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4umAiK7-dY[/video]

Callaway GBB

[video=youtube;N4umAiK7-dY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4umAiK7-dY[/video]

too straight! seriously good looking ball flight there and a cool video!

It closes it a touch. I dont even notice to be honest.

Your adjustments are the same general places that gave me the best performance from the GBB I recently tested at the range. 9 up to 11 but 2 more clicks to the fade side than your one click fade. Most shots had a draw flight which at my age is a good thing since it adds more roll to the carry. GBB is a very impressive driver. The only hesitation for me is that my beloved R11 S and my 2014 Bertha deliver as good as the GBB.

My great experience with the GBB was made much easier because of the difficulty I had in getting my 2014 Bertha adjustments perfect . My go to has always been little or no loft increase adjusting and draw weighting. It took me a while to figure it out but going radical ( at least for me was the unexpected perfect solution) Bertha 9 up to 11 and weight one click shy of full fade. Boom, really nice draw flight, carry and increased roll with no worry of going way left. I have a driver collecting hoarder disease and I know it is just a matter of time before a GBB will be in the herd . Then I will have 3 perfect drivers to have fun with but with very likely no clear winner, unless the shaft that is the best for me moves the GBB to the top.

Might get a chance to play this weekend. Fingers crossed I do because then I can try Grandura on the course. Can't wait to hit outdoors and see it's like on course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excited for Thursday's round. I tipped the Black Tie and PX 7C3 today so I can try both on the range prior to the round. PX HZRDUS has performed well but I gotta make sure I'm playing the best shaft (for me) that I have at my disposal.

Excited for Thursday's round. I tipped the Black Tie and PX 7C3 today so I can try both on the range prior to the round. PX HZRDUS has performed well but I gotta make sure I'm playing the best shaft (for me) that I have at my disposal.

Hope you find what you're looking for, but I think you may already have it.

Had a nice round with this club today. I had the Oban shaft I got from the Grandaddy in it and was still seeing the same great results off the tee. I hit some nice high launching shots into wind today, and also had some miss hits towards the toe that still found the fairway or just off. It just inspires so much confidence off the tee for me right now.

Loving the forgiveness like you misike. I had my longest drive of the day today and I hit it high on e club face

Yeah, my Dad was pretty impressed. He has golfed with me all year, but this is the first time he's seen me us this club. He kept saying, wow you're really hitting it well today. And was even more surprises when I'd say, yep, got that one off the toe. So happy with this driver.

Hit some drives in a new zip code yesterday...I am starting to connect full power. +AoA a bit more for me is helping.

Keep going back and forth between 10.5 and 11.5 and while both are good, I think the 11.5 is more consistent as far as accuracy is concerned. The slight gain in distance isn't worth the decrease in accuracy, IMO.

Over the last two rounds (in the last 4 days), this driver continues to work for me. Each time I play its still the forgiveness that shines the most. Last round I was really high on the club face most of the round, but was not seeing much distance loss really at all.

Im still really liking the 11* setup with the slide one tick towards the fade side of things.

I got to take the GBB out today, first I hit a bucket of ball and tested it head to head with the M1. The GBB is definitely way more forgiving and it just seems easier to square the face up and stay in control of the head for me. I had the GBB lofted up to 11* and in draw bias. I also had the weight all the way on the draw setting, I've struggled with a slice for a long time, and my welcomed miss was a hook today. Once I get some more time I think it will be pretty easy to gain a little distance and straighten it out a little. I may try going down to 10* and moving the weight a couple notches toward the neutral setting next time I get out. All in all, the GBB is a much better driver for me, the M1 might have been a touch longer but I think I can get it evened up with a little adjustment and dispersion was so much better with the GBB. It's the first driver I've ever hit that I would consider a fairway finder in my hands. I could not stop smiling after splitting a lot of the fairways today. I am so pumped right now to be able to game this for the upcoming season. I owe another big thanks to THP and Callaway Golf for the Holiday Cheer Giveaway, thank you for putting this club in my hands, it's amazing!!!

Over the last two rounds (in the last 4 days), this driver continues to work for me. Each time I play its still the forgiveness that shines the most. Last round I was really high on the club face most of the round, but was not seeing much distance loss really at all.

Im still really liking the 11* setup with the slide one tick towards the fade side of things.

Honest Q, but what is it that makes you want to use the 9* head closed 2* instead of 10.5* head in N/S setting?

My extra yardage: At NS, setting up face open, I swing to deliver a solid release.

Last edited:
GBB is out of the bag for right now. The draw bias on the club is a little too much right now. Hopefully in two weeks when I start seeing a swing coach I'll be able to work it back in the bag.

GBB is out of the bag for right now. The draw bias on the club is a little too much right now. Hopefully in two weeks when I start seeing a swing coach I'll be able to work it back in the bag.

What type of Draw Bias?

What type of Draw Bias?

9527b4f40b92c48cbe1bc2a310f76e86.jpg

For me, even with the APW in fade setting, produces a slight draw. I believe it's stated in the videos from Callaway that the new APW was moved closer to the heel to get a more pronounced draw bias. I can say with 100% accuracy that it works as described.

9527b4f40b92c48cbe1bc2a310f76e86.jpg

For me, even with the APW in fade setting, produces a slight draw. I believe it's stated in the videos from Callaway that the new APW was moved closer to the heel to get a more pronounced draw bias. I can say with 100% accuracy that it works as described.

But moving it all of the way to the other side eliminates that. Its just giving the ability to offer more draw bias.

But moving it all of the way to the other side eliminates that. Its just giving the ability to offer more draw bias.

With new APW you can't put it all the way out like before. Fade setting is more of a neutral. Probably looking at adding lead tape to the toe area

Back