Cobra KING F6 Irons - THP Review Thread

Wider sole, longer heel to toe, thicker topline, but more offset.

aesthetics can be a major factor for confidence in my game, so those descriptors make me less inclined to try these. but a 190y 7i????? does the gw go 150?! and I love hearing that stopping power wasn't an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice review (and pictures) as always Jman. I like that cobra stuck to the progressive set idea, and I think that this is one of the better looking GI irons that they have put out in the past few years (wasn't too keen on the biocell's look).

Quick question. Have you noticed a big drop in spin from the 7iron to the 6iron? (change from U to V grooves?) If so, is it relevant to your game with how high and far these irons are going? (your 7 iron #s are just silly!)

Nice review (and pictures) as always Jman. I like that cobra stuck to the progressive set idea, and I think that this is one of the better looking GI irons that they have put out in the past few years (wasn't too keen on the biocell's look).

Quick question. Have you noticed a big drop in spin from the 7iron to the 6iron? (change from U to V grooves?) If so, is it relevant to your game with how high and far these irons are going? (your 7 iron #s are just silly!)

Hey brother, sorry, just saw this (or did I Rallo you? Hehe).

I've only got about 12 shots with each club on monitor recorded so far so it's hard to say definitively but there is a drop in average spin moving to the half hollow and then again to the full hollow irons. That said, on the course it was irrelevant for me based on the crazy good peak height and descent angle into the greens I have seen from the 6, 5, and 4 irons. Its something I'll get into more for sure though as I get back out there.

I'll say it again, these are NOT the same ole cobra GI irons. This is progressive in a way that is unique and more importantly effective. I'll be honest that my reaction has been similar to what the Speedblades did for me, not that they perform the same, but that they did something so different and effective that it took me aback a good bit.

Working up some questions for a little interview on these as I really believe their uniqueness gives a lot to discuss. Should be really really good for the review as well.

If you have any questions slots free I was wondering if you could inquire more about the dual cavity in the 6-7iron, specifically what the benefit is vs the hollow 4-5 or vs the deep undercut single cavity of the 8-9.

Also, what is the tech benefit of this dual cavity vs the other 2 techs I mentioned... progressively feel/sound? CGI? Truer distance gaps?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Curious about these irons, admittedly I did not like the Bio Cell or Fly Z irons at all, I was a fan of the AMP however.

So these crazy irons....

Wow.

I've had them out and about the last 3 days for range and course time (playing a secondary ball with them into the greens) and I'll be straight forward and say I'm nothing short of impressed so far. Thats a lot more forward than I usually am in the review process, but there is a LOT here to like performance wise. They aren't the best fit for my personal needs as standard, but they could be a heck of a set for a LOT of people based on what I have been seeing.

Yes, they're going to be a bit polarizing still where looks go, but how is that any different from the last umpteen sets of irons from Cobra? Its not. They do things differently and with THEIR style and you have to respect the hell out of that because they stick with the "modern" take/look on things. Around here (Fowler country) the people I have let hit them have gone quite ga-ga about the looks, then after hitting them they have been even more intrigued. While I'm not a big personal fan of the looks, I do think that they look a LOT better than what we have been seeing from Cobra in the GI sector before this.

They launch, they launch HIGH, and its a ton of fun. Especially in the long irons, I've had zero issues hitting towering shots with the 4i from the tee and into greens as well. The nice thing I want to also get into here is the sound/feel. NO they aren't going to give you that "forged feel" (whatever that is) but they also avoid any "spring" like sensation off of the faces and the sound is much more solid than expected. Even into the full-hollow irons there is NO awkwardness of sound and the set flows quite well there.

Distance has been what I would definitely call long as well, particularly into the half-hollow and full-hollow irons. Now, before someone comes in yelling "GAPS! GAPS! OH MY GOSH GAPS!", this very point is where the set having FOUR progressive design traits/styles/parts lets them shine just as much as the increasing MOI/perimeter-weighting effect. They gap better than any combo-tech set that I have tested before. Usually, when you see a two-tech progressive set (think slots in the SpeedBlades/RocketBlades or even cup-face to no cup-face in the CF16) there can be (not for everyone) a slightly larger gap at the transition point of the set, for these though I have seen incredibly consistent step downs from the hollow to half-hollow to cavity to muscle. For me personally its been 12-13 yards on the nose.

Forgiveness is there where most golfers need it most for sure, the long and mid-irons hollow and half-hollow tech works (and it seems "hollow" might be a big trend this year) as low and toe are putting up some really impressive numbers where retention is concerned. Moreover, the actual progressive look of the set (offset, topline, finish) works well and at least for this reviewer is not obtrusive at all. I know the full-hollow irons are going to be a fear for some in terms of size, but I have reviewed MUCH heftier/chunkier there and the use of the face insert in them really helps keep the size in a nice range. They feel/seem/look like irons, not hybrid-irons or driving-irons which is a good thing.

There is a LOT of tech in these, I mean a LOT, and as such I am reaching out to Cobra with questions on a lot of it so we can provide really clear information on the how/why of it all. Will be a great addition to the review IMO.

Love your thoughts on these Jman. I actually really like the look of them and if they perform these are a great set to game. Just not in the market for irons this year.

These look nice. Also like what I'm hearing from Jman regarding his experience with them thus far. They really remind me of a set of King Cobra OS irons I had about 20 years ago. Loved that set of irons.

I'm really interested in these, as they look to be doing what Cleveland did with the 588 line (which I loved), but with a more opinionated take on where the break between each style is. I'm a huge fan of progressive sets. I've been thinking off and on of going with a more GI iron set, and this would be one I'd absolutely look into.

What you're seeing out of the long irons has me very intrigued, to be able to get height on a 4 iron would be awesome.

Some really interesting irons and a great review. I am super intrigued by these.

Great thoughts there Jman. Hit these today in only a 7 iron and was quite impressed. Definitely something a little larger than I would normally game but at address they actually weren't terrible. I think you hit the nail on the head with the Feel thing. It's exactly what I felt when I hit the 7i. I think with the right shFt these could be a great set for a lot of people.

How am I just now noticing the red tie as the graphite options, that's awesome!

This is awesome to hear James as this is one of the sets I have been pondering. and the only thing that has kept me away is the look of the long irons. But if the performance is that great I think I could get over looks very quickly! Now I am someone who loves a set GW, have you noticed any diminished returns as far as forgiveness with the set GW being a blade style?

Jman, what are your comparison thoughts between the F6s and your gamers (XRs) in regards to forgiveness and distance?

So these crazy irons....

Wow.

I've had them out and about the last 3 days for range and course time (playing a secondary ball with them into the greens) and I'll be straight forward and say I'm nothing short of impressed so far. Thats a lot more forward than I usually am in the review process, but there is a LOT here to like performance wise. They aren't the best fit for my personal needs as standard, but they could be a heck of a set for a LOT of people based on what I have been seeing.

Yes, they're going to be a bit polarizing still where looks go, but how is that any different from the last umpteen sets of irons from Cobra? Its not. They do things differently and with THEIR style and you have to respect the hell out of that because they stick with the "modern" take/look on things. Around here (Fowler country) the people I have let hit them have gone quite ga-ga about the looks, then after hitting them they have been even more intrigued. While I'm not a big personal fan of the looks, I do think that they look a LOT better than what we have been seeing from Cobra in the GI sector before this.

They launch, they launch HIGH, and its a ton of fun. Especially in the long irons, I've had zero issues hitting towering shots with the 4i from the tee and into greens as well. The nice thing I want to also get into here is the sound/feel. NO they aren't going to give you that "forged feel" (whatever that is) but they also avoid any "spring" like sensation off of the faces and the sound is much more solid than expected. Even into the full-hollow irons there is NO awkwardness of sound and the set flows quite well there.

Distance has been what I would definitely call long as well, particularly into the half-hollow and full-hollow irons. Now, before someone comes in yelling "GAPS! GAPS! OH MY GOSH GAPS!", this very point is where the set having FOUR progressive design traits/styles/parts lets them shine just as much as the increasing MOI/perimeter-weighting effect. They gap better than any combo-tech set that I have tested before. Usually, when you see a two-tech progressive set (think slots in the SpeedBlades/RocketBlades or even cup-face to no cup-face in the CF16) there can be (not for everyone) a slightly larger gap at the transition point of the set, for these though I have seen incredibly consistent step downs from the hollow to half-hollow to cavity to muscle. For me personally its been 12-13 yards on the nose.

Forgiveness is there where most golfers need it most for sure, the long and mid-irons hollow and half-hollow tech works (and it seems "hollow" might be a big trend this year) as low and toe are putting up some really impressive numbers where retention is concerned. Moreover, the actual progressive look of the set (offset, topline, finish) works well and at least for this reviewer is not obtrusive at all. I know the full-hollow irons are going to be a fear for some in terms of size, but I have reviewed MUCH heftier/chunkier there and the use of the face insert in them really helps keep the size in a nice range. They feel/seem/look like irons, not hybrid-irons or driving-irons which is a good thing.

There is a LOT of tech in these, I mean a LOT, and as such I am reaching out to Cobra with questions on a lot of it so we can provide really clear information on the how/why of it all. Will be a great addition to the review IMO.

Thanks for your thoughts so far. Still super intrigued. Going to try to go hit them at an outdoor range this week. I will weigh in for sure after I take some swings.

I for one think these clubs look fantastic, and it sound like they absolutely play that way too. I'll be very interested to give these a few swings on a monitor to see how they stack up with my not-exactly-repeatable slower swing.

I saw these in person today, and took a few swings.

I urge anyone who doesn't like the look initially from the pictures to wait to judge until they see them in hand. The soles are wide-ish, but when you put them down, they actually look on the smaller side for a GI iron. To me, a lot more like the AP1 than something like the Vapor Speed/Cleveland MT.

I saw these in person today, and took a few swings.

I urge anyone who doesn't like the look initially from the pictures to wait to judge until they see them in hand. The soles are wide-ish, but when you put them down, they actually look on the smaller side for a GI iron. To me, a lot more like the AP1 than something like the Vapor Speed/Cleveland MT.

That's very encouraging news.

So, after mpeterson and I's little discussion in here on these in the preview thread (didn't realize that until now) I went to check out the no upcharge options on Cobra's site for this set, not what I expected given the stock Q4 Red-Tie and "KING F6 FST Flighted) lightweight options. For no up the KBS Tour, KBS Tour+, KBS Tour 90, KBS Tour 105, TT XP95, TT DG, and TT DG Pro. Moreover, shafts like C-Taper and C-Taper Lite are only a 96.00 up per set.

Seriously impressive, and a WIDE array they are willing to put into these.

I also mentioned in the other thread that I have pretty much concluded my data collection phase on these, and I've decided to put one of the sets of the new KBS Tour FLTD shafts we got in for review into these (as well as the F5's) to see some things as it pertains to the performance. Because I'll be totally honest, these are bordering on silly long for me, longer than my gamers, which is saying something.

Man....I really don't need to be pondering anything right now. My distances in the Apex are on par with what I've traditionally seen but I wouldn't mind being a club longer.

The red tie is an "interesting" shaft in these. I loved that shaft in my Bio Cell + driver and never even considered that it could be an iron shaft. And James I agree, the no charge shaft selection is seriously impressive. Me thinks the Cobra "King for a month" could really have some fun with these.

Man....I really don't need to be pondering anything right now. My distances in the Apex are on par with what I've traditionally seen but I wouldn't mind being a club longer.

The red tie is an "interesting" shaft in these. I loved that shaft in my Bio Cell + driver and never even considered that it could be an iron shaft. And James I agree, the no charge shaft selection is seriously impressive. Me thinks the Cobra "King for a month" could really have some fun with these.

I was literally just thinking similar. I really believe (and have been seeing) the more that have gone and HIT these, the more that have come away seeing something totally different than what they expected to. I'll say it for the 1000th time, this is taking a progressive set to a design level that we haven't seen before, and more importantly, it works and blends.

James, with the distance increase are you seeing similar ball flight from these compared to your gamers? I guess I am wondering if the peak height is similar to your Apex?

Back