Practicing Driver

UglySwing

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I virtually never play driver off the deck during a round (and don't want to) but was wondering if practicing driver off the deck would be considered a good way to improve driver play off the tee, or is there little more than improved confidence to gain from it?

I don't think it would help much since it's a totally different shot from the deck

That's such a different shot, unless you really have a problem getting to your front side with weight shift, I see no reason to actually practice this.

Better off just practicing with the 3W off the deck and leave the driver in the bag. The driver off the deck is the same action as the 3W. I've also learned that cutting a driver off the deck is much easier to do than playing a draw with it.

I can honestly say I have never tried to hit a driver off the deck while playing a round. I dont know why you would practice hitting it off the deck if you are trying to get batter at hitting off the tee. Did a pro give you this drill/tip?

I virtually never play driver off the deck during a round (and don't want to) but was wondering if practicing driver off the deck would be considered a good way to improve driver play off the tee, or is there little more than improved confidence to gain from it?

Is this in an effort to work on not hitting down on the driver? I ask because there are better drills for this. I am currently working on this in a effort to lose some driver spin. I have been putting an empty ball sleeve in front of the ball about a club head. If I do not hit the box on my swing I am probably not hitting down. Interested to hear other replies to this.

Is this in an effort to work on not hitting down on the driver? I ask because there are better drills for this. I am currently working on this in a effort to lose some driver spin. I have been putting an empty ball sleeve in from of the ball about a club head. If I do not hit the box on my swing I am probably not hitting down. Interested to hear other replies to this.

I wouldn't think so because in order to hit the driver off the deck you have to go down at it to get it airborne. Pretty hard to pick a driver clean and hit up on a ball from the deck IMO.

It isn't super hard to make ok contact with the driver off the deck but not sure why you would since the bottom of the clubface sucks hitting with drivers. 3 wood would be way easier and most likely go the same distance. About the only time I would consider trying is if the course is soaked and we are allowed to play lift, clean cheat and my ball is within a club length of my driver pitch mark and I can actually use that to tee it up and inch. Then I would consider it.

I wouldn't think so because it order to hit the driver off the deck you have to go down at it to get it airborne. Pretty hard to pick a driver clean and hit up on a ball from the deck IMO.

The point would be to zero out the AofA & sweep the ball off the deck with a driver as a drill. Which to me is a bad idea. I think the OP had no interest in hitting driver off the deck. Sounds to me like he would use that as a drill to improve his normal tee shot. Please clarify OPer

The point would be to zero out the AofA & sweep the ball off the deck with a driver as a drill. Which to me is a bad idea. I think the OP had no interest in hitting driver off the deck. Sounds to me like he would use that as a drill to improve his normal tee shot. Please clarify OPer

Then yes, there are better drills for hitting up on a ball from the tee.

That seems like an even worse idea. Tee it down an inch and put it a few inches back in your stance if you are desperate to hit a fairway and don't mind giving up 20 yards

That seems like an even worse idea. Tee it down an inch and put it a few inches back in your stance if you are desperate to hit a fairway and don't mind giving up 20 yards

Or just practice this?

That was exactly my thinking.

Higher swing speed, so my thinking was hitting it off the deck, there isn't a lot of room for error if you don't return the club face to the ball with a good deal of precision.

That was exactly my thinking.

Higher swing speed, so my thinking was hitting it off the deck, there isn't a lot of room for error if you don't return the club face to the ball with a good deal of precision.

I would get some foot spray for your driver face to give you strike position. That will show you impact. If you get a good imprint of most of the ball (compression) in the center of the face (COG) your strike is good. If you get a light/partial impact out toward the heel or toe, too high or too low you will know. I am thinking this is the feedback you are looking for. You might learn a new position for the ball in your stance and a new tee height along the way as well. it is cheap and highly effective. Driver faces are so big now that I like feedback on what I am doing visually. The only downside is that I do not hit my mark as much as I would like but at least I know it. Good Luck. Let me know if I explained this clearly.

I would get some foot spray for your driver face to give you strike position. That will show you impact. If you get a good imprint of most of the ball (compression) in the center of the face (COG) your strike is good. If you get a light/partial impact out toward the heel or toe, too high or too low you will know. I am thinking this is the feedback you are looking for. You might learn a new position for the ball in your stance and a new tee height along the way as well. it is cheap and highly effective. Driver faces are so big now that I like feedback on what I am doing visually. The only downside is that I do not hit my mark as much as I would like but at least I know it. Good Luck. Let me know if I explained this clearly.
I've seen people do that. I'll give it a go.

My range isn't super long. The wind is also at my back. It's not super hard to clear the fence. They have another 30 yards after the fence where if the ball lands there, it's no issue, but if it gets beyond that, it's a busy road, with a traffic light that gets backed up.
I never get to practice driver because I might clear it. So I tried with the ball tee'd way down, but then it's almost like hitting it off the deck.

I'd say no not at all. Two totally different swings and swing thoughts. I have never met anyone that can pull of the driver off the deck shot with any success.

I prefer the Driver Almost Off The Deck. It's a 445 move that can be used in match play from time to time. :act-up:

JM

Better off just practicing with the 3W off the deck and leave the driver in the bag. The driver off the deck is the same action as the 3W. I've also learned that cutting a driver off the deck is much easier to do than playing a draw with it.

I play a SLDR Mini. Playing a cut shot off the deck win it is the only time I can intentionally work the ball. I kind of discovered how to do it by accident, and it has shown to be useful a time or two.

I only hit driver off the deck if the ball is set up like it was on a tee, which is very rare, like once a year. In this case I don't think it's necessary to practice driver off the deck.

The driver deserves its own practice time, especially with me when I use it like 10 to 14 times a round.

Back