Your chance to see Super Bowl I : Friday on NFL Network

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
The airing will be at 7PM Central Time on Friday, January 15.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/01/11/super-bowl-to-air-after-long-lost-footage-surfaces.html

Super Bowl I to air after long-lost footage surfaces

The Super Bowl will air Friday night, and your money is safe if you take Green Bay and lay the 14 points.

The game airing at the end of this week on NFL Network was originally played Jan. 15, 1967, and pitted Vince Lombardi’s legendary Packers against the Kansas City Chiefs – a matchup of storied franchises still in the hunt to play in this year’s championship. But even though that first Super Bowl aired on two television networks, no complete video version of the game existed until the network spliced one together using grainy film collected from dozens of sources.

“In an exhaustive process that took months to complete, NFL Films searched its enormous archives of footage and were able to locate all 145 plays from Super Bowl I from more than a couple dozen disparate sources,” the league said in a statement.

The CBS and NBC tapes were either lost or recorded over, although a full audio tape of NBC radio’s Jim Simpson and George Ratterman doing play-by-play and color commentary survived. That sound was dubbed over the video footage collected by the league network to produce a full game of future Hall of Famer Bart Starr leading the Packers to a 35-10 victory, aided by Jim Taylor’s running behind the vaunted offensive line that featured Fuzzy Thurston, Forrest Gregg and Jerry Kramer.

The game, which was played at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, saw the Packers take a 14-10 halftime lead before burying the Chiefs with three unanswered touchdowns in the second half. No less than a dozen future Hall of Fame players took part in the game, including Kansas City quarterback Len Dawson and defensive stars Buck Buchanan and Bobby Bell. For the Packers, Starr, Turner, and Gregg would go on to enshrinement in Canton, along with linebackers Ray Nitschke and Dave Robinson; defensive backs Herb Adderley and Willie Wood and defensive linemen Willie Davis and Henry Jordan.

Lombardi and Kansas City Coach Hank Stram are also in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Billed as “The Lost Game,” the airing of Super Bowl I will take place on January 15 at 8 p.m. ET on NFL Network. According to the league, the presentation will include wired sound from Lombardi, the hard-charging coach who would be dead of cancer just three years later.

It would be cool to see a replay of Super Bowl I (with a better outcome of course) on February 7!

That's cool. I would love to see this game. Haven't seen any of the footage. Will set the DVR. Hopefully there isn't a squirrel on the field that changes the outcome.

This would be nice to see

Will it be live or on tape delay? I wonder if I can find tickets on stubhub. That would be neat to see in person.

That will be fun to watch!

I am really looking forward to this

I have a feeling the Chiefs will upset the Packers.

I remember watching Super Bowl One live. I took the points, bet on Agent Jay's team, and took a beating.

Saw it live, also. Saw it on the only color TV in my Very small Kansas town (not my family's)!

Reminder bump that this is on tonight.

I'm really glad I saw this thread could of missed the opportunity to see super bowl 1.

Do you like the way this is being reaired? I wish they would of just played the game and stop at end of each quarter to chat.
I think it took away from a great game that no one has seen for 50 years.

Read a neat story about the NFL negotiating to get the only known tape of the live broadcast because the two networks that covered it didn't keep the recording. It's missing a chunk of the 3rd qtr, IIFC, but the guy found it in a family attic.

I'm thinking of who was in the room watching that game with me...my uncle, my aunt, and my cousin. I ate dinner there that day.
I'm the only one left on this side of the grass.

A lot happens in fifty years.

Watched the first few minutes this morning with the rest later today. Figure it will be a good contrast to packers/cardinals tonight. Was amazed at Coach Lombardi telling the guys before the game to be proud of their profession.

So I finally sat down to watch this thing this morning. We were getting ready to go out of town so I didn't watch it when it was aired.

What a waste of time. I thought it would have been better had they just shown the game. I didn't want to hear all those guys talking during the whole thing. What a zero for NFL Network. Maybe they will show it again with just the game coverage.

I shut it off and deleted the recording in the first quarter. I didn't think it would be the broadcast of the year or anything, but NFL Network ruined the whole thing. It was horrible.

Never got to see it as not included in our package...booo.

Back