TaylorMade M2 Irons Preview

I miss the Burner irons a lot.

Continues to befuddle me why they went away from that name with a look like this, but I hope they found a way to improve on that tech. It was ahead of its time!

Burner 2.0 meet Speedblade?
Thses have my interest. I like the looks of the pics I have seen, and really really need to hit these.

I am not one to complain about lofts, but 28.5* for a 7 iron is hard to wrap my head around. It will be interesting to see launch numbers on these - I know with the hosel they're moving weight low, so I'll hold off any judgement until I either hit them in hand or they get reviewed by the folks here.

I'm guessing the M2 replace the Aeroburner, and the M2 Tour are the RSi1 replacement?

My initial reaction was Burner 1.0 but slottier. They aim for a high ball flight, I want to see it.

So, tour versions!??!?! Nice!

col1-item.png

col2-item.png

If these are even close to the SpeedBlades then its a great offering. The SpeedBlades are the best TM iron ive ever hit

The tour especially looks super Burner-y to me.

Hard to tell but from those pics I like the non tour version look a little better.

So, tour versions!??!?! Nice!

col1-item.png

col2-item.png
do you think that by including a tour version of these, it's kind of a way to say that PSi isn't working?

THICK-THIN FLUTED HOSEL - Combines with 360° Undercut ultra-low CG, allowing for stronger lofts that maximize distance without sacrificing high peak trajectory

Interesting.

Also, there aren't any awful face speed pockety things!! That is such great news!

Also, looking at the site, a pretty solid collection of no upcharge shafts. Including some usually pricey ones (C-taper, PX). Love that the regular KBS Tour (my personal favorite) is in there, given that you don't always see it for no upcharge.

do you think that by including a tour version of these, it's kind of a way to say that PSi isn't working?

I don't know buddy. I don't even think TaylorMade wanted to take PSi to market based on how they didn't push that product... anywhere.

I did see their barely marketed (and sick looking) wedges from last year are still 169 at the golf store when i was there yesterday. That's quite the price.

Is it that, or is the M2 tour the Rsi1 replacement? The lofts and size of the regular M2 scream Aeroburner replacement to me, and the tour here looks a bit more chunky than the Psi does. The good news is you'll have these answers for us shortly.

Have really liked the last few TM irons. Played the speedblades last year and the RSI's this year. A little confused as to who these irons are for especially since 2 versions of PSI's just came out. Im sure more info will start to come out, but its a bit odd in my opinion. My guess is they have to replace RSI 1 since the PSI essentially replaced RSI2? But who is the "tour version" for then? Already replacing PSI?

Looks like a newer Burner 2.0 iron.

do not like at all. would be a very quick gloss over walking up and down the aisles of a big box store. i hope they find an audience, though.

Interesting.

Also, there aren't any awful face speed pockety things!! That is such great news!

Agreed - that would have been a non starter for me. Our pro sent 23 individual RSi irons back to TM last season for repair/replacement. Adds up pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are the specs out for the tour version?

Already a bit entertained by their little video on distance gains, showing that M2 is superior to XR and G30... And then of course, the fine print:

DISTANCE CLAIMS BASED ON 7 IRON ROBOT TESTING AT TOUR PLAYER CLUB HEAD SPEED. TRADEMARKS ARE THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS. © 2016 TAYLOR MADE GOLF COMPANY, INC.

So, I would imagine that helps Amateur golfers by offering a graphic on tour club speeds?

I hope TM produces some good gear this year.

It would be nice to see them back making nice looking and playing irons again. It seems like they've really deviated from that lately and really emphasized cramming all the tech they can into a club. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but the irons just haven't looked, or felt appealing to me the last couple of years.

I am not one to complain about lofts, but 28.5* for a 7 iron is hard to wrap my head around. It will be interesting to see launch numbers on these - I know with the hosel they're moving weight low, so I'll hold off any judgement until I either hit them in hand or they get reviewed by the folks here.

I'm guessing the M2 replace the Aeroburner, and the M2 Tour are the RSi1 replacement?

From what I have seen so far, these irons launch similar to one iron below. (Example: The 7 iron launches like a 6 iron, you get 6 iron distance in a club stamped a "7 iron")

They look ok, want to know the reasoning for the grooves in the hosel. Dont like the way that looks at all.

To me, it seems like they are leaving 2015 behind and trying to "start fresh" and get back to what they were doing 3-4 years ago.

Back