THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Said in one of the other RR threads I really like the hat and those colors gives it a Ryder Cup feel IMO

Awesome! What is your Twitter name?

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Found it :p your forum name. Who would have known!?!

Said in one of the other RR threads I really like the hat and those colors gives it a Ryder Cup feel IMO

Speaking of that ... there should be TWO color designs for the RR. One for the DMV & one for the NC crew! That way we can look like a "real" Ryder Cup match! That would be sweet :clapp:

I think a good distance would be my first thought. But I think I read someone where that most amateur golfers statistically do better when going for the green. Easier to hit a target from 30yds then from 100yds in most cases. If you know your partner then that is more specific info and I like your train of thought. It would all depend on how each of your are playing that day and the confidence level of the partner to hit the shot needed.

In my case I would go for the green, then top or duff the shot to the exact yardage you wanted anyway

I saw that before too. In playing with a bunch if guys I have known for years and fandom people periodically I have seen the 20-50ish range give people a hard time. They skull or chunk those shots more than they do a wedge. Some don't have the feel for those non full shots. The other factor I take in is the potential miss...I would rather be at a full swing GW or PW in the fairway than 20-30yds left/right of the green and in trouble or worse.

If playing alt shot and an approach shot on par 4 and your partner doesn't have the length to reach the green in reg do you ask your partner to get as close as possible even if it leads and "awkward" distance (20,30,40yds, etc) or do you ask them to give you a specific distance?

similar situation on par 5, do you have your partner be aggressive or leave you a number?

does it depend on how your partner has been hitting the ball?

i would base mine off my partners playing but my tendency would be to ask for a specific yardage.

Both situations for me - get as close as he is comfortable with. I have a lot of confidence in my wedge / short game. IMO, it is harder than it seems to ask the average player to lay-up to a certain yardage. I think if I can just tell him to simply get as close as he is comfortable with that takes off a lot of pressure, and he is much more likely to hit a good shot.
Of course, some of this is going to depend on conditions.. if getting close puts me in a wet area, or an extremely tight lie where I have to get over a bunker to a tight pin, etc, that would have to be taken into consideration for sure

Both situations for me - get as close as he is comfortable with. I have a lot of confidence in my wedge / short game. IMO, it is harder than it seems to ask the average player to lay-up to a certain yardage. I think if I can just tell him to simply get as close as he is comfortable with that takes off a lot of pressure, and he is much more likely to hit a good shot.
Of course, some of this is going to depend on conditions.. if getting close puts me in a wet area, or an extremely tight lie where I have to get over a bunker to a tight pin, etc, that would have to be taken into consideration for sure

Agreed, depends on what's around the green too. Do you have to go over / around anything, where's the flag?

If playing alt shot and an approach shot on par 4 and your partner doesn't have the length to reach the green in reg do you ask your partner to get as close as possible even if it leads and "awkward" distance (20,30,40yds, etc) or do you ask them to give you a specific distance?

similar situation on par 5, do you have your partner be aggressive or leave you a number?

i would base mine off my partners playing but my tendency would be to ask for a specific yardage.
Communication is they key here and ultimately to get the ball in the hole in the least amount of strokes than your opponent team on that hole. It also depends on how the other team is playing. In general, I would say lay up to a very comfortable wedge distance that would give us the best advantage to birdie or hole out from the fairway. If my partner has a sharp wedge game that day, then get it as close to the hole as possible.

You just deal with the situation as it occurs. Someone tries to lay up to a distance... they succeed or not and then you deal with the results. Everyone will be trying their best. If we were good enough to succeed all the time we could play with the big boys. I do agree that you have to play the percentages the best you can given the situation!!! That's what makes golf so much fun... it's never the same!!

IMO laying up to a number is nothing more that playing a shot the person is comfortable with. If the green is 210 out and someone has to hit a hybrid or FW and has 50/50 chance of getting it to the green or within 10 yds or topping it/hitting a wayward miss, but has a 70/30 chance of hitting a pw or 9i to 90-100yds I would take the 70/30 because the miss with the pw or 9i is probably going to be more manageable than with a hybrid or FW.

I think it depends on how comfortable my partner is with a certain shot. I do not want my partner to be uncomfortable standing over the ball. If they are comfortable going at it, then let them free swing.

If they are comfortable laying up to a certain number for me, then so be it. However, the most important part of the hole is the current shot, so whatever my partner feels is the best for their game, then I am going to let them do.

Monday February 8th, 2016
All will be revealed

All will be revealed

Cool JB. Will help some of us with our case of the Mondays.

oooooooo....

I'd prefer to be in the fairway ANYWHERE vs in thick grass, poor lie, OOB closer to the Green.:bashful: Of course greenside bunker is not bad either as a bailout.

Bob (Diveguy)

I think its like you said, it's depending on how my partner has been hitting the ball. If he's hitting it good, I would ask him to try to get me around 85-90 yds but if he's struggling, I would tell him to let it rip and we'll go from there.

I would try to work out some of those alt shot questions before the round, but as others have said it depends on how my partner and I am playing when we get into a scenario like that. It also depends on how the other team is playing as well. If they are struggling or have made a major mistake then the safer option may be best for our team.

Finally got out and played some 9 hole rounds. Lessons are helping alot, ball flight is lower off the tee and im getting some of the distance loss back.

Onwards and upwards in the training for this event, hope i get selected.

I think it depends on how comfortable my partner is with a certain shot. I do not want my partner to be uncomfortable standing over the ball. If they are comfortable going at it, then let them free swing.

If they are comfortable laying up to a certain number for me, then so be it. However, the most important part of the hole is the current shot, so whatever my partner feels is the best for their game, then I am going to let them do.
Sanzabar almost took the exact words out of my mouth. Having some experience in an Alternate shot format twice before in a tournament we learned the hard way. The first day, we thought we'd be smart and ask our partners to leave us with a number we felt comfortable with. The results were let's say less than stellar.

The next day, we went out with the approach that, each person would hit the shot they were comfortable with, with no regard to the partners next shot, ti would then be up to him to play that shot the way he was most comfortable. We basically shot 8 strokes lower on the same course.

The joke of the day was a conversation from our opponents on Day 1. Player A teeing off on a fairly short 350 yard par 4. Player B tells him on the tee, Leave me about 110 yards out, that's my go zone. Player A's reply, he steps back from the ball and says "here's my swing thought...FRickin AIRBORNE. F your 110 yards" We laughed our butts off.

All will be revealed
Oh Hell To The Yes...It's about to get real in here next week!!

I think it depends on the hole. If there is no real trouble that is reachable near the green, I'd tell them to get as close as possible. I'd usually rather chip or have a short pitch shot than a mid-range wedge. If there is trouble that is reachable, I'd want to be about 120 or so from the green if possible. It all depends on the partner though. That's what makes alternate shot so tough.

I think it all comes down to flow you and your partner are having. But I would ask my partner what distance they feel good about going into the green and do my best to give them that shot. Good communication is the key.

Back