2016 Callaway Chrome Soft Review Thread

I tried a sleeve sent to me via Callaway Community and I prefer the previous version. What I liked from CS was the feel. This new one, being a tad bit harder, took me back to the B330 and TM TPX feel. So, for similar performance to TM TPX that I can get cheaper, I'd just play TM. I didn't see any measurable gains off the tee with the new ball, same with spin vs the old. I'm not saying it isn't a good ball, just one I wouldn't seek over the previous model. I'll just keep playing the same old CS. ?
Considering I absolutely love most about the B330 and TPX, I'm going to spin this as a positive for myself!

From what I read, the dual core is supposed to help with issues off the irons, did you happen to see anything to support that Paul?

Considering I absolutely love most about the B330 and TPX, I'm going to spin this as a positive for myself!

From what I read, the dual core is supposed to help with issues off the irons, did you happen to see anything to support that Paul?

I didn't... And I REALLY tried. When I got my three I went to the course and played the front nine hitting two shots from each position. Two off the tee, two approaches/or 2nd shots on par 5s, two pitches/chips, 2 putts. Off the tee, I saw a 1-2 yard difference for the new CS once, but, the rest had the old longer once (contact inconsistency was probably the reason for both differences).

I really tried every scenario to see a difference... I'll grab a sleeve again this summer and try when it's hot and I have max run on fairways that have better lies for second shots too. I've been playing CS for the last full year and I just really like that ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't... And I REALLY tried. When I got my three I went to the course and played the front nine hitting two shots from each position. Two off the tee, two approaches/or 2nd shots on par 5s, two pitches/chips, 2 putts. Off the tee, I saw a 1-2 yard difference for the new CS once, but, the rest had the old longer once (contact inconsistency was probably the reason for both differences).

I really tried every scenario to see a difference... I'll grab a sleeve again this summer and try when it's hot and I have max run on fairways that have better lies for second shots too. I've been playing CS for the last full year and I just really like that ball.

Appreciate the insight. I think with the new release they are making the OG CS a bargain.

Any thoughts on durability? Thought on here some #TheGrandaddy folks said that it was lacking a bit?

I haven't tried the new ball yet, but my biggest complaint with the previous ball was stopping with the short irons. Most premium balls, project a too, stop close to the mark but chrome soft rolled out several yards.

I saw exactly the same thing with the first version of the CS and hoping the new CS has improved on that significantly.

I'm sorry to see that you've had mixed results with the new CS. I would encourage you to hold judgement for any ball you try until you are able to hit them on the course in decent temperatures for you to get a true feel for how it performs. I hovered between 330 s and CS last year, then when the temps got cold I moved to supersofts. What might feel like too much compression now might be great in mid summer. Good luck!

Also, you were seeing 5-600 rpm less than the project a with a 7?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I haven't totally given up on the ball and need to play it on the course and have a couple of dozen of these things and plan on playing them over the course of the next few months and hopefully the ball performs better than what the launch monitor is showing on the 7 iron. Did some putting with it last night and the feel is pretty good on the putter, no problems there. albeit I am not too picky on that unless the ball is too hard feeling. Will also get a chance to spend an hour or two in a short game practice area this Sunday in pretty good weather here, so will get a good idea on that. Was on the launch monitor last night with this ball and the Project A and the results were that the Project A has at least 500 more RPM on the backswing, maybe more, while the CS is a little longer. One of the good qualities of the Project A was to help the amateur create more spin from 100 yards and in and it seems to be performing to that level off the irons while the new CS looks like it isn't, according to launch monitor. I will be playing both balls on the golf course and should be able to verify that. Not saying the Chrome Soft isn't a good ball, but am trying to find out how the ball stacks up to it's competition, and need to get the ball to the golf course to learn the rest of the story.

Appreciate the insight. I think with the new release they are making the OG CS a bargain.

Any thoughts on durability? Thought on here some #TheGrandaddy folks said that it was lacking a bit?

That's the one thing I didn't pay attention to. I didn't happen to look at the wear after the nine hole testing. Makes me curious now.

Played my first 9 holes with the new CS today. I never liked the old CS off the driver, as I had the feeling my fades were shifting towards slices faster with that ball. On top of that, even perfectly struck shots were consistently shorter than drives with the Chrome+ I usually gamed. I did like it on irons and wedges, so I was curious what the new ball would do for me. My first impressions:

-The 2016 model feels a bit better off the driver for me. I'm still not seeing the distance I get from the Chrome+, but the ball flight was a lot better.
-I didn't notice any difference in spin, but the course was really, really soft, so it was like throwing darts anyway. Might need normal conditions to make a better comparison.
-I prefer the old one over the 2016 model off the putter. I play a soft insert putter, and although I never had any issues putting with the 2016 model, I think the old one gave me bit more feedback in terms of feel and sound.
-Durability was excellent. Played 9 holes in awful conditions (mud, sand), and after wiping it down there was hardly a scratch on the ball. Never had any issues with in that department with the old one either.

I was wrong.

While my comments yesterday were based on real on course results, I need to test more thoroughly. I played another 18 with the 2015 version and didn't see any unusual rollout. I don't think it spins as much as project a, but it stops just fine. I'm looking forward to testing out the new version.

This ball sounds perfectly tailored for me/my game, and I've had a lot standing love with Callaway balls...looks like I know what the next dozen I pick up will be.

I bought these to try out today. Overall they were great, especially in the colder weather. It didn't hurt that after a shanked 2nd shot, I holed out at 60 yards from the rough after a soft two bounce landing.

I'm going to keep playing these until the new B330S hits stores and compare the two.

I put the 2016 chrome soft in play today. To be honest I expected not to like them. I have never been a Callaway ball fan. Callaway has a real winner with this ball. The ball feels harder than the 2015 version which for me was a positive. I thought the 2015 ball was way to soft. The feel of the ball is more in line with a prov1x (my current gamer).

Spin off of short irons and around the greens was exceptional. Even on frozen greens the ball was checking nicely and spun several back. In comparison to the prov1x the chrome soft provide much more spin.

Distance with the irons was the same for me as the prov1x. Off the driver however the ball seemed a little shorter than prov1x. It was not my best ball striking round with the driver. So that may have been the reason why. It was significantly better than the 2015 chrome soft. That ball went no where for me.

Played one ball for the entire round. The ball held up great no real marks or scuffs. Other than the dried mud not sure you could tell that I used it today.

Overall this is a really strong ball and should be considered by anyone looking for a new ball in 2016.

Played 18 today with the new chrome soft. I prefer the yellow as it is easier for me to track. Seemed very consistent off the driver and a nice soft click sound.
On my mid iron approach shots it never rolled out more than 3 feet from the pitch mark. I do love the reaction I was getting off the 60* wedge. They where all bounce and stop today. Feels good off the putter, not to soft and just a nice roll.
Very interested in trying these when it gets warmer as it was 36* degrees when we started and only 41* when we finished out round.
Played one ball all 18, cleaned it up when I got home and no scuff marks at all. Seems very durable.

Picked up a pack of these today. Excited to get these out and try them. Love the feedback I've been hearing so far.

Oh and skim alert, but just in case no one else noticed it, but the retail versions do have the •• on them.

Oh and skim alert, but just in case no one else noticed it, but the retail versions do have the •• on them.

Yea I was mistaken on that fact earlier, but Finley did come in a make the correction swiftly. Your going to enjoy those bud, I thought they made a major improvement over the original!

Just got a dozen of these today and excited to see how they stack up against the Bridgestones

I've played 8 rounds with the new Chrome Soft now. Off the tee, driver and 3 wood, and my 3 off the turf they were long and good ball flight. However when hitting the mid and short irons I seem to get to much spin and am losing over a club of distance on well struck shots. No I have not hit theses on a monitor such as Flight scope. but when I hit the green from 145 out with my 7 iron and it backs up 13 feet from the ball mark I thinks the spin might be a little much for me. When that happened twice, I figured that might be why I'm short 10 -15 yards shorter with my irons than I used to be. What do you guys think? Can spin effect the the irons distance?

Played the chrome soft urethane yesterday and after 4 holes it went back into the bag. Felt like a brick off the driver, irons & putter. It actually feels like a Titleist Pro V1X. Played the rest of the round with the W/S duo urethane. Now THAT'S a soft ball. Goes straight with great distance, but it could be the new Cobra King F6 driver and F6 irons too. :banana::thumb:

We were told that ours was a prototype, and that they were looking to improve the durability of the cover for the retail release. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

We were told that ours was a prototype, and that they were looking to improve the durability of the cover for the retail release. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

I'm not positive either way but I thought the ball help up just fine. But then again they didn't last long when I had them in play lol

I'm not positive either way but I thought the ball help up just fine. But then again they didn't last long when I had them in play lol
I plan on putting them to the test this year!

I hit a house, retaining wall, and a hearty palm tree and mine held up just fine.

I have played these in upper 30 low 40 temps, this weekend will be in upper 60's. So I am interested to see how they will react.

I was able to put the new chrome soft into play on a hard fast golf course. With my ball flight I saw solid flights with a good bit of release. I witnessed some solid spin with all irons and pretty good check around the greens. The distance off the driver was right there with top line balls in the biz.

With three more rounds in the next three days I hope to unlock the power I keep hearing this ball possesses.

I have been pounding these in the simulator and have yet to spilt one. Split at Taylor Made Tour Prefered two days ago, but not the 2016 Chrome Soft.

Back