Waterproofing your golf bag

rickfoil

Reaction score
Handicap
I just bought a new golf bag. It's a Sun Mountain Sync to go along with my Sun Mountain MC3 push cart. I was just wondering if anyone out there has tried using waterproofing solutions like Rustoleum Neverwet on their golf bags. If so, how did it go?

I've used the Neverwet (boot and shoe) on my golf shoes and they seem to work OK. However, my shoes are white and Neverwet sometimes leaves a milky white residue on whatever you spray it on. On white golf shoes, that residue is practically invisible. Herein lies my concern: my golf bag is black. I've seen youtube videos of folks who've sprayed neverwet on black shoes and the shoes look horrendous afterwards. I really don't want to do that to a new golf bag.

Anyone?

My brother in law sprayed his with some 3M waterproofing spray a couple of years ago and it turned the white yellow. Bags are not all that expensive and I see myself buying a new one every couple of years, so it is not something I worry about. Mine might get wet once or twice a year and that is it. When it does, I just clear it out, open all the pockets and let it dry.

I've used the Scotchgard Outdoor Water Shield for years on ski clothes, tents, and other clothing and never had anything but great luck with it. No color change on several white jackets/ski pants I've used it on.

scotchgardtm-outdoor-water-shield.jpg

Best way to keep this from being needed is don't play in the rain! I kid! Sometimes it just happens, I know.

Can't go wrong with ScotchGard.

I normally would use scotch guard but I read plenty of reviews about it messing up plastic parts. So that's why I went with the Camp Dry.

I will give a +1 to the scotchguard....used it on a number of items with great success and never had a color change or residue

I covered my white Srixon with Scotchguard. I used about a can and a half. I let it dry out in our shed for about two days and then it was good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also used scotch Guard on outdoor furniture and cushions, but never used it on a bag though. No issues with it on the cushions.

Many thanks to everyone who put their two cents in. I'll give the ScotchGuard a look at my local ACE Hardware. Everytime I see "ScotchGuard" I can't help but think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbCoJQTPgsE

I sprayed mine with Kiwi Camp Dry and it left no residue. The white parts of the bag are still white and I can tell you the stuff really works. I also sprayed the rain hood and the last time I got caught out in the rain, the water just rolled right off. You can get it in the shoe department at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21799461?...54246991&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=83160387311&veh=sem

I've looked at the Kiwi products (my local ACE didn't have the Scotchguard product other posters mentioned). Did you specifically use the "Heavy Duty" flavor of this line? I was thinking that the "perfermance fabirc" would be enough. The heavy duty one seems a bit overkill with the silicone and it takes longer to dry than the performance fabric version.

I've always used shoe water repellant on my golf bags. The kind you can get at any shoe store. Never had any problems.

I believe my bag is already water proof.

I never thought of water proofing my bag. Mostly because I try not to make it a habit of playing golf in the rain. I have been caught in the rain on the range a couple of times though. But never gave any thought to water proofing my bag. Honestly thought they came water proof. Seeing as how they are made to be outside in the elements.

I've looked at the Kiwi products (my local ACE didn't have the Scotchguard product other posters mentioned). Did you specifically use the "Heavy Duty" flavor of this line? I was thinking that the "perfermance fabirc" would be enough. The heavy duty one seems a bit overkill with the silicone and it takes longer to dry than the performance fabric version.

i used the exact can in that link. I sprayed my bag and rain cover out on the sidewalk in the sun and it dried pretty quick.

Back