Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

The cupface in the long irons is just so good. BTW, I saw you put your old apexes on ebay a while back. My buddy showed them to me and asked if I thought that they were legit. I saw misikeonthebeach from stow, and I assured them they would be the real deal... small world

Yes that was me. Small world indeed.

Yeah, so many good things about these irons. Made it an easy decision to sell the old ones.

Last edited:
Hope you guys saw this. New Apex Combo sets are now available!

Best of both worlds.

http://bit.ly/ApexCombo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I put a set in a cart yesterday but couldn't get myself to pull the trigger!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

These irons are amazing. So happy they're in my bag.

Last edited:
I am a KBS homer, but I am so intrigued by these.. What can the XP95 be compared to in the KBS line up?

Wife was amazed I wasn't planning on buying clubs this spring. This might change that..

I've heard more than a few asking about combo sets. People ask, Callaway listens. I love my CF's, but can't wait to hear what people who buy the combo set think.

Of course, I order a full bag of callaway goodies last week, and a combo set comes out this week... Just my luck.

Yep, same boat. Also they are available with the XP105 and now so are the CF16'S. That's what I wanted when I ordered mine. Even called CS and asked and they said not possible. Now they are a no upcharge option. I settled for XP95 but the 105 gave me a bit better dispersion. Somehow I feel pardon the pun shafted.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Update. Callaway has reached out to handle this. What a company.

Last edited:
Of course, I order a full bag of callaway goodies last week, and a combo set comes out this week... Just my luck.

i've hit both, and it was a quick pass on the pros for me. didn't like anything about them, and i fully expected to much prefer them to the cf16. so if i was to order tomorrow, i wouldn't even consider the combo set.

i've hit both, and it was a quick pass on the pros for me. didn't like anything about them, and i fully expected to much prefer them to the cf16. so if i was to order tomorrow, i wouldn't even consider the combo set.

Interesting. What didn't you like about the pros? I'm just wondering if there's any real benefit to going to the combo set.

Interesting. What didn't you like about the pros? I'm just wondering if there's any real benefit to going to the combo set.

I preferred the matte look of the cf16
I preferred the px 5.5 I was swinging in the cf16 to whatever he gave me in the pro
I preferred the feel at impact of the cf16 to the feel of the pro
I preferred the balance of the cf16 to the pro.
I could have pounded balls all day with the cf16 with a big sh1t-eating grin on my face. but 2 swings with the pro and I gave them back to the fitter and asked for the cf16 back.

I'm a guy who likes buttery soft feel, blade-like look at address, and thinks he's better than he actually is. I was convinced I'd like the pro much better, and there wasn't one thing about the pro I liked more than the cf16.

ymmv

I preferred the matte look of the cf16
I preferred the px 5.5 I was swinging in the cf16 to whatever he gave me in the pro
I preferred the feel at impact of the cf16 to the feel of the pro
I preferred the balance of the cf16 to the pro.
I could have pounded balls all day with the cf16 with a big sh1t-eating grin on my face. but 2 swings with the pro and I gave them back to the fitter and asked for the cf16 back.

I'm a guy who likes buttery soft feel, blade-like look at address, and thinks he's better than he actually is. I was convinced I'd like the pro much better, and there wasn't one thing about the pro I liked more than the cf16.

ymmv

Yeah I actually hit the pro 7 iron first, and while it felt okay the CF 16s were an entirely different story. Like a club ho, I actually thought about making the switch since the combo sets comes in matte but I think the CF 16s are just fine. Now the only thing I can't speak to are the shafts because my CF 16s came with stiff XP 95s. Not a bad shaft, and holy high ball flight batman! The CF 16s are the best irons I've ever owned, hands down.

Cf16 have cup face and pro cf 16 doesn't way I understand it, I like the idea of a combo set being all chrome I like the matte but love chrome, I'll just have to try them and all and see, or may just keep what I got,

Thanks for all the info!

I was wondering what the difference in forgiveness would be with these vs some Cleveland 588 mt irons?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also compared the pro's to the cf's....I agree with the above...after about 10 hits with the pro I asked for the CF back....I was surprised, I had always got the Pro series in my past Callaway irons!!

Still looking forward to the spring and some nice weather to dial these in....

Man, I will have to go out of town as soon as these get delivered to my door... I'm going to be itching to get out on the course with these. What a bummer.

Might be the one time I'm glad that something is RH only.........don't even have to think about this combo set at all! LOL

I tried a CF16 7i in the golf store while warming up to demo a GBB fairway wood. I was getting the same distance as my original Apex.

Given all the love in this thread, I am tempted to go to the Callaway Performance Center to demo.

As much as I love that Callaway is listening and releasing a combo set, I've played combo sets in the past and I am very excited for the full GI goodness of the CF16s

Back