Boom_Boom

Reaction score
Handicap
<18
I will be in Columbia, SC from 2-5 April. Any recommendations on a course or two to play?

There's a Davis love redesign course there and I think it's called Oak Hills, I've never played it but I have some friends that absolutely love it and say the conditions are second to none.

Cobblestone Park is the highest rated course in the area. With that being on the cusp of Masters week you will likely see some inflated prices for golf and downright outrageous prices for hotels.

I'll second the 'Masters gouge'....get ready for some unusually high greens fees.

That being said, tracks I grew up playing in Columbia that I'd still play today:

Oak Hills- fun course, is always in great condition when I play. I have a few buddies that frequent here, and this has become my go-to when I'm in town

Wildewood- longish track, well-maintained. Huge lake comes into play on a few holes, including the opening par 5. It's 'semi-private' but lots of clubs have reciprocal memberships...might be an avenue for you

Timberlake- cut along Lake Murray, really pretty scenery. Fun course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was stationed in Columbia for a few years in the 90's. Oak Hills is a great course. Steve Melnyk and Davis Love III co-designed it. Fort Jackson has one of the countries best military courses. If you can get on, give it a look.

Thanks for the replies. We will be playing on Sunday and heading to the Masters practice round on Monday. I think Cobblestone is in my cross hairs.

Thanks for the replies. We will be playing on Sunday and heading to the Masters practice round on Monday. I think Cobblestone is in my cross hairs.

Cobblestone is a fun track. Used to be private back in the last decade and my dad was a member there at that time, but it went public during the real estate crash. It's not super long (I think around 6700 yards from the tips), but is challenging and has a good bit of elevation changes as well.

If you belong to a private course and have a pro willing to make calls on your behalf, then try to get onto Woodcreek which is northeast of the city. It's the home course of the University of South Carolina golf teams and hosts a mini-tour event (the old Hooters tour) every summer.

Cobblestone is a fun track. Used to be private back in the last decade and my dad was a member there at that time, but it went public during the real estate crash. It's not super long (I think around 6700 yards from the tips), but is challenging and has a good bit of elevation changes as well.

If you belong to a private course and have a pro willing to make calls on your behalf, then try to get onto Woodcreek which is northeast of the city. It's the home course of the University of South Carolina golf teams and hosts a mini-tour event (the old Hooters tour) every summer.

Unfortunately not a member anywhere. Thanks for the tip, though!

Where ever you decide to play make sure to get a tee time st way ahead of time, as everywhere in the area books up very quickly.

Back