PING G Crossover Preview

In for review
62b5cf104ac047192999d6d41a88c359.jpg

d726db33c025c5283a0a7e1de2eb06a9.jpg
How does it compare size wise to a Apex UT?

How does it compare size wise to a Apex UT?

Toe heel length is similar but the sole is much wider, almost twice as wide in my minds eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But there are hybrid style clubs out there that look more predominately like an iron. Callaway UT is one that immediately jumps in my mind. I guess I just don't see it as anything completely new. Perhaps I'm missing the boat, and that's fine. I'll get some time in with it soon enough to see how it fares for me.

I suppose the difference to me is the wide sole on the Crossover. It makes it look more like my GI irons than the other "utility iron" offerings, and maybe that inspires confidence.

to me this looks like the Mizuno Fli Hi I had several years ago, and somewhat similar to the Titleist 503H from years before that. I understand that there are players that need this type of club, and kudos to Ping to rename it and build some hype.

For my game it doesn't fit but good look to those that can/will use it.

Swung the 3 a couple of weeks ago at Dicks in Pensacola. Nice sound when I struck it well, just didn't hit the sweat spot very often-15 swings. I seem to have trouble with hybrid type clubs for some reason. I hit the long irons in my S55 pretty well so I'll stick with them.

Got mine on order, a 3 with the tour 90 shaft, I was hitting this 215 compared to 205 with the 3 hybrid, and that is long for me!!!...very easy to get in the air...for me I found it easier to hit than a hybrid, great flight and I thought it sounded great....paired with the sf tec 3 wood I'm happy as....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jman and ddec's conversation about lie angles in PING's lines made me remember something I noticed in the store the other day when I was going back to hit all the clubs. The "stock dot color" of these is blue, and not yellow - that seems to me a sign that these are targeted more towards i players. That makes sense to me, but interesting that they have the "G" name. I guess they did the same thing with drivers, having the LS Tec replace the i series driver.

I hit this today on the range and I will preface this by saying that while the weather was great, it was pretty cold before we teed off and I didn't hit much well until we hit the course. With that said I didn't really care for this one. Maybe it was the sound, but being that I enjoyed most hollow body's in the past or some in the past I expected to like this one.

I launched it with very little spin and the 4 was barely flying where my Apex 5 was flying.

I will test further this weekend.

I hit this today on the range and I will preface this by saying that while the weather was great, it was pretty cold before we teed off and I didn't hit much well until we hit the course. With that said I didn't really care for this one. Maybe it was the sound, but being that I enjoyed most hollow body's in the past or some in the past I expected to like this one.

I launched it with very little spin and the 4 was barely flying where my Apex 5 was flying.

I will test further this weekend.

On my first swings with this outside, I loved it, but I saw the same things you did numbers-wise. I was actually in the same neighborhood as the 5 iron with the 4 crossover.

In this style the JPX fli hi is a much better fit for my swing.

Yeah I was really caught by surprise, but will get it on FlightScope this weekend to figure out what is going on.

I have hit this club an couple times and was very impressed with this club. I am seriously considering putting one of these in the bag.

I had a chance to hit the stock 4 yesterday and didn't care for it at all. Tough to get any height under it and a punch of knuckle balls, a traditional hybrid is a better option for me.

I had a chance to hit the stock 4 yesterday and didn't care for it at all. Tough to get any height under it and a punch of knuckle balls, a traditional hybrid is a better option for me.

Hybrids will typically launch higher than the Ping Crossover. The Crossover would be an ideal club for windy and/or links style conditions. Never hit the Crossover but I would suspect that it would be better for working the ball vs. hybrids.

Hybrids will typically launch higher than the Ping Crossover. The Crossover would be an ideal club for windy and/or links style conditions. Never hit the Crossover but I would suspect that it would be better for working the ball vs. hybrids.

Don't doubt you are correct - just wasn't for me. I like to bring it in high anyway, my home club has many elevated greens or trouble up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took delivery of a 4 crossover with Reg. Alta shaft. Took it out today for a quick practice 9. I hit this club a ton to try it out dropping multiple balls. Wowzer! I'm not a big hitter and was hitting the 4 crossover in the 180 range. Nice high straight ball flight. I am pleasantly surprised how easy it is to hit and how high it gets the ball up. There is a distinctive click sound at contact but it doesn't bother me. Playing a real round tomorrow so Hopefully I can repeat it. Really like the club so far.

I took one swing with this club today (a 3 I believe) and I am immediately in love. Mid launch (which I love), pin straight, and flew right over the 200 yard marker--which is about as far as I can see even with glasses. I generally really struggle with more traditional hybrids, so I'm drooling over what I think/hope this could do for me.

I took one swing with this club today (a 3 I believe) and I am immediately in love. Mid launch (which I love), pin straight, and flew right over the 200 yard marker--which is about as far as I can see even with glasses. I generally really struggle with more traditional hybrids, so I'm drooling over what I think/hope this could do for me.
I know a guy who is going to be back at the range tomorrow with one.

Today was kind of just a hello and nice to meet you with this club. Tomorrow the testing kicks up a notch. Should have LM in tow. Hopefully a better swing comes with it because today was garbage.

Back