What is your best/favorite hole on your home course?

tbanks5

Reaction score
Handicap
What is the best hole or your favorite hole on your home course?

What makes this hole so great? Is it the difficulty of the hole, or does the design simply match your eye? Maybe you simply excel on this particular hole and it's a sure fire birdie even when you aren't playing your best. Or is it because its a risk reward type of hole, and you have to be pinpoint accurate to take advantage of it?

Personally my favorite hole on my home course (Cedar Point GC), is the par 4 fourth. I usually switch between the whites which play about 275, and the blues at 296 depending on how I feel, but to me it's a perfect risk, reward hole. This hole is a slight dogleg right with small trees and bushes hugging the corner. The fairway is slightly uphill from the tees, but at about 200 yards it gently comes downhill funneling bombed tee shots towards the green. With the slight dogleg its also completely normal to see tee shots run through the fairway. The other side (left) has some large oaks spaced 20 yards apart, giving you a shot to the green, but it forces you to keep the ball low and run it up to the green instead of carrying your shot. There are only 2 bunkers protecting the green; one is fairly deep and short right of the green, the other is shallow and is behind the green to the right. Anything long and left of the green leaves an impossible up and down unless the pin is in the front. The green is setup like a bowl and anything deep funnels towards the front. It's not uncommon to back up a wedge shot on this green.

This is my best/favorite hole because there are numerous ways to play it. I've driven the green from both tees especially when the wind is helping. But my go to play is 4 or 5 iron and then a wedge. Most cases I can stick a wedge close or even back it up if I've gone a little deep. Putting can be difficult when the hole is in the back or front because you have to play a lot of break, but I usually walk away with par or birdie when played. When I miss the fairway its a different story, but it's usually when I've taken driver.

So what is your best or favorite hole on your home course and why?

Has to be 18 and not because it means the bar is close. A good drive sets up a chance to reach in 2, nothing like an eagle at the back door to the clubhouse.

Number 14 is my favorite at my home course. From the Blues its 580 yard par 5. OB right and lateral left. It takes 3 good shots to have a birdie chance (2 great shots if you are a bomber) Tricky green but not unfair.
It is not my best scoring hole, but it is my favorite hole visually and play wise

i like #18 at Manakiki Golf course Big elevated tee shot . Then the second to a raised green by the clubhouse

#1, means I'm out playing golf instead of being in the office!!!

The 14th hole at The Fairways of Halfmoon. It's the number 1 handicap hole (I believe), but it just sets up perfect for me. There is a hill/cliff to the left (which means the slicers can't play their normal tee shot), but that doesn't hinder my hook/draw ball flight. Plus, the cart path is built into a ridge on said hill providing a backstop for my hook tee shot. On top of that, the further out there you poke it, the wider the landing area is. It feels like 9 times out of 10, I'm middle of the fairway staring at the pin from about 80 yards. The green is two tiers, and when the pin is on the front (lower tier), it's birdie time.

Well I don't have a "home course" right now. So, I'll give you may favorite hole at the home course I grew up playing.

#5 It's a small minor dog leg right, par four. It plays around 300 from the tips, to as little as 240 from the whites. Front tees are an iron and I've never played from there, intentionally anyways. lol

Anyway....from the whites, I'm usually hitting a 4 iron to at MOST a 3 wood. The green is covered by a huge mound and tree, PLUS it's OB all the way up the right side. So the smart play is hitting out to the left of the green (all fairway) and taking a small wedge into a slanted (back to front) green that very receptive. The key for a birdie is keeping it below the hole, of course. If you're not, or you're left or right, you'll have a FAST big breaker for birdie.

I've done everything from an eagle two on this hole, to well over par back in the day.

I don't have a home course but of the ones I play on a good portion of my rounds at I will say #9 at Andrews AFB east. It's a par 5 that when pin is in the front or middle can be reachable with a decent drive but also has hazard along the right side and hounds and bunkers down the left side.

18 at Blue Ridge Country Club. http://www.blueridgegolf.net/course-tour.htm

Plays a club and a half downhill to a large pond. Roughly 225 to reach the water but it plays downhill so every shot gets a lot of run out. I normally play a 6 iron off the tee with the 150 yard stake as my target. Then its anywhere from a 9 iron to a 7 iron into the green depending on pin location. The green slopes back uphill opposite the fairway. Wind is key as the tee box is perched at the highest point of the course and exposed. I have hit 6 iron into the pond by misjudging the wind. I have also hit driver into the teeth of a heavy wind.

I don't really have a home course so I will chose the one I joined for handicap purposes. It would be the first hole, a 354 yard Par 4. Enough room on the right that my miss will still be in play. Large green. I've birdied it often which is a nice way to start a round.

I would have to say #8 on the North at Maple Leaf Golf Course, Linwood, MI

MusicMaster and I play this course about 3 times a week in the summer and its never the same shot. It is only a 93 yard shot from the whites, over the water to the island green. I've personally dunked more golf balls into the pond that it is on than I can count. It is just one of those hole, back in the woods that I get excited every time we play it.

(musicmaster would completely... I have a weird obsession with golfing the North course... It's really because of that hole :) )

#16, 170 yard par 3 wit a full carry over water to a canted green protected, front and rear, by bunkers.

1741_2_2.jpeg

Thanks for the responses fellas

I don't necessarily have a home course, but at the course I play most frequently... it would be the 6th hole.

Par 4 - 312 Yards

It plays down into a valley from the tee and then uphill from the fairway to the green. With a good tee shot and a helping wind, I've been on the fringe. To take a shot at it, you risk OB left and a hazard right.

I look forward to that hole each time I play there.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

At my club:
I don't always score well on #18 (par 4 385yd dogleg left), but it's a great hole. Fit your tee shot between the bunkers at the dogleg and you have 130-140 left to a downhill island green. I'm always happy to end the round with a par.

At the county course 5 minutes from my apt:
#7 par 5 480ish(?) dogleg right with a tiny creek about 120 yds out
It's reachable in two with a good tee shot that finds the fairway (something that I have issues with). I always try to cut the corner and go for it on my second shot if I have even the slightest chance of getting around the tree by the small pond.

What is your best/favorite hole on your home course?

Hole #7 Par 5, 550 yds from the tips.
Split fairway- easier path is left, no chance to get on in two. On the right, to carry the right is 260 yds over desert.
Then, 120 yds from the green, is a 20-30yd wash, to an uphill green that is protected L and R w bunkers, with a green that runs away from you if you are aiming for the middle.
c6a57692041f20c0a7759ad4a6797c62.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number 11. It used to be a hellaciously long and too hard par 4. It is now a still challenging par 5 that offers some great risk / reward options. It works as a shorter par 5 because the landing zone tightens at just the right spot. If you are disciplined enough to treat it as a 3 shot hole you really shouldn't make worse than par. But it is oh so tempting to go for it, which brings some a lot of trouble and big numbers into play.

The 14th hole, a 537 yard par 5 that has a nice risk reward over water to the green.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 8.57.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 8.57.00 PM.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 0
Number 14 is my favorite at my home course. From the Blues its 580 yard par 5. OB right and lateral left. It takes 3 good shots to have a birdie chance (2 great shots if you are a bomber) Tricky green but not unfair.
It is not my best scoring hole, but it is my favorite hole visually and play wise
14 is my favorite on your course too Shane. Every shot brings double bogey (or worse) into play if not played well. But it's a very fair hole too. Even a shorter hitter like me has a decent shot at par if I play each stroke well. I even notched a lucky chip in birdie there haha. "visually" made me lol - you know where my mind went - don't respond.
Of the courses I play most often, I'm going with #10 at Rivercut. 576 from the blues. Difficult off the tee unless you are long AND straight with a high lipped deep grass bunker, trees, and OOB down the right side and big trap and lake down the left. The hole bends left with each shot, tight around the lake. There is an an inlet that cuts across the fairway about 120 yards short of the green. I've hit some big tee balls for me, but I've never been deep enough off the tee to carry the inlet in two. My typical approach is usually a 6 to 8 iron after layup. It's a fairly large green with lots of slopes, framed by huge traps front left and front right. The lake comes right up along the left edge of the green and tight around the back too. There is no bail out right as OOB looms maybe 20 yards right. Not a birdie hole for me, I averaged 6.2 on it, and am perfectly good with that.

Last edited:
To me, it doesn't really matter the course, I normally play well on #18, maybe it's the pressure of being the last hole? Lansbrook is my home course and when me and my buddies play 4 on 4 tournaments it normally always comes down to the last hole, and for some reason I can almost always birdie it, same with chi chi rodriguez when I play

Back