THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

I thought you were from New Hampshire?

For those of you who don't end up getting in, how many of you plan on going and supporting your team for the range session and dinner afterward?

I plan to support the team as much as possible and plan to be on the range and if possible at the dinner if I'm not part of the event

Ok ya'll its down to 3 from each side. The marathon continues. I'm sure there are a few dealing with disappointment, frustration, or maybe a little bitter. The next 13 days are going to show both Ron and I who wants to join our teams. If it's not something you really want let us know. Cause I'm sure there at at least 6 THPers amongst us that want a chance defending their turf, entering the HOF, and earning that awesome MVP trip!

More bummed that other stuff prevented me from doing everything in time. But, my routine still continues which regardless of if I get in or not I am happy with. Weather or no weather I have kept grinding, looking forward to this years league and seeing where I can take my game.

Anyone familiar with Play-A-Round Golf in Malvern, PA? What are the simulators accurate/quality?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those of you who don't end up getting in, how many of you plan on going and supporting your team for the range session and dinner afterward?

If I don't get in I will go up being that I am only 45 minutes from the course. I will support the guys and even play while up there. I would assume that they will have some open tee times behind the first wave or drive 1 min up the road to Brickshire and play there. Don't think I would attend the dinner though, that seems like it should be for the competitors

Looking at the format and having alternate shot at the last 9 holes will be tough. Those last 9 are some hard holes and will make alternate shot very interesting.

Looking at the format and having alternate shot at the last 9 holes will be tough. Those last 9 are some hard holes and will make alternate shot very interesting.
Yeah, it'll definitely put a strain on my game but I'm counting on the fact that my accuracy and swing will have improved considerably by the time we get there. Right now I'm good up through my 4H. Fairway/FYbrid off the deck is iffy (but solid off the tee) and I've made good strides with the driver. I'm hoping to start working on distance now that I've straightened it out a great bit. Learned to love the fade my swing puts on the ball. I fought it for so long that it really hurt me, but now that I know it's a part of my game I just embrace it and let it work for me.

Yeah, it'll definitely put a strain on my game but I'm counting on the fact that my accuracy and swing will have improved considerably by the time we get there. Right now I'm good up through my 4H. Fairway/FYbrid off the deck is iffy (but solid off the tee) and I've made good strides with the driver. I'm hoping to start working on distance now that I've straightened it out a great bit. Learned to love the fade my swing puts on the ball. I fought it for so long that it really hurt me, but now that I know it's a part of my game I just embrace it and let it work for me.

Best way to get accuracy is to play small target golf, range will help give you something you can trust but only the course will learn you accuracy. Take that fade to the course and try to hit small targets off the tee and on approach. I'm working on a couple stingers for those harder holes, going to just let it run up.

That the last 9 holes were using the alternate shot format was a significant factor causing me to realize that my physical concerns prohibited my continuing effort to make the team. Regardless of my current health concerns, at my age, I, most likely, would be somewhat exhausted going into the last nine holes. That would definitely not be good in the alternate shot format where my best effort would be required.

That the last 9 holes were using the alternate shot format was a significant factor causing me to realize that my physical concerns prohibited my continuing effort to make the team. Regardless of my current health concerns, at my age, I, most likely, would be somewhat exhausted going into the last nine holes. That would definitely not be good in the alternate shot format where my best effort would be required.
Of course, that depends on whether or not we'll actually have time to fit the last nine in. The event is touted as 27-36 holes. I know you may not want to roll the dice in the hopes we only have time to play 27, but perhaps you can consider it ...

That's where the captain comes in. Putting strengths and weaknesses together. But it will crank up the pressure.

For the first 8 selected. Now that you know for sure you are in, will you change your practice habits or continue with what you have been doing? I know weather has been a factor but has your mindset changed towards how you will approach this awesome event?

I'm not going to change my practice habits at all. I've been taking lessons every week since September. before that I had been taking lessons every 2 weeks for the previous 6 or 7 months. We basically re-built my swing from the beginning. I am really starting to see the benefits to all this work and I'm very excited to see what I can do on the course when the snow melts here and when I'm down in NC. I just want to keep at the lessons and practice what we go over during the week and I know my game will be in a good spot.

That's where the captain comes in. Putting strengths and weaknesses together. But it will crank up the pressure.
Yeah I would think the key on the back k 9 is trying to set up who tees off on what holes. Like on 16 you need a good 265 off the tee just to be inside 190 and it's a dogleg left. Strategic play will be key

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Yeah I would think the key on the back k 9 is trying to set up who tees off on what holes. Like on 16 you need a good 265 off the tee just to be inside 190 and it's a dogleg left. Strategic play will be key

I think you need to get in this... and we need to have a scouting round. Can I make a nomination?

If I don't get in I will go up being that I am only 45 minutes from the course. I will support the guys and even play while up there. I would assume that they will have some open tee times behind the first wave or drive 1 min up the road to Brickshire and play there. Don't think I would attend the dinner though, that seems like it should be for the competitors
If we both miss out on the team, I'd love to get a round in with you after the group goes off, or at the sister course in the area. If dinner is open (at a cost to the rest of us...i'd be happy to attend...even if we have to sit at the "kids table" LOL

I think you need to get in this... and we need to have a scouting round. Can I make a nomination?
Just got an email from them for this weekend $49 before noon and $42 after and free sleeve of balls

If we both miss out on the team, I'd love to get a round in with you after the group goes off, or at the sister course in the area. If dinner is open (at a cost to the rest of us...i'd be happy to attend...even if we have to sit at the "kids table" LOL
If anyone has the VSGA card you can use it that day and play for $26 after 11 I think

Just got an email from them for this weekend $49 before noon and $42 after and free sleeve of balls

That's awesome. Sadly I won't be here this weekend. I'll be calling an ODU baseball tournament (season opener). But it will be in Myrtle Beach!!

That's awesome. Sadly I won't be here this weekend. I'll be calling an ODU baseball tournament (season opener). But it will be in Myrtle Beach!!
Calling as in ump or broadcast? One of my former players is on the pitching staff

If anyone has the VSGA card you can use it that day and play for $26 after 11 I think

How do those VSGA cards work? They one time use for the discount or do they work more than once?

$65 dollars for the year and you have so many plays at courses across the state. Look it up at vsga.org

I'd be up for this too, if I don't get in of course.

I'd be up for this too, if I don't get in of course.
It's good to see lots of interest supporting the event regardless of entry or not.

Calling as in ump or broadcast? One of my former players is on the pitching staff

Broadcast. Web only for this, though we do have quite a few radio games later in the season. Moyer? Or Matheson?

Broadcast. Web only for this, though we do have quite a few radio games later in the season. Moyer? Or Matheson?
Matheson

Matheson

That's cool. He got a lot of good experience last year. Had some solid outings. I don't want to de-rail the thread though.

Why should you choose me? I'm good for comedic relief! I also can promote True Temper Golf and THP with the best of them (just ask Wilson Staff). Plus I'm free for that weekend. I'd also like to think that even though I'd probably be the highest handicapped player in the mix my game is coming along and I'd like to think that by July - with my practice, lessons, and playing time - a breakout performance won't be that shocking.

If not me, who? I'd go with Marc (Trout Bum) or Joey (ir13). I know there are plenty of great golfers in the Carolinas, all of whom are more than capable of putting a hurting on Team DMV. But I've played with these guys many times and I know their games travel and they're competitors. That's not a knock on any one else, it's just who I've been paired up with at local THP get togethers. Team Carolinas would be in good hands with them added to the mix.

Thanks for the props dude, you know I appreciate it.

i have just accepted a promotion at work and will not be able to do the battle in this awesome event, my new position is going to require some serious travel.

with that said, there's not a bad pick in The carolinas as far as I'm concerned, but I do have a couple favorites.

Deuce would be a great pick on passion alone, he's one of those guys that believes in a team and I'd go in to battle with him any day, the other is chetsteadman, new to the forum but very wise on the course and has the skill set to match his wisdom, there are some that are missing that id give a nod to but for some reason Life has pulled them away from the forum, I just hope they're ok.

Back