THP Regional Rivalry - Ohio vs Michigan - Sponsored By True Temper

Genuinely curious here about handicaps as it seems to be discussed pretty often. Whats more frequent at THP events, people that show up with a handicap and cant play to it because they are going through swing changes/are not feeling well/a mosquito farted during their swing (Bubba Watson) etc or people who show up with an unofficial one (guesstimate) and then proceed to play way better?

Genuinely curious here about handicaps as it seems to be discussed pretty often. Whats more frequent at THP events, people that show up with a handicap and cant play to it because they are going through swing changes/are not feeling well/a mosquito farted during their swing (Bubba Watson) etc or people who show up with an unofficial one (guesstimate) and then proceed to play way better?

Well more often than not it's harder to play to your handicap, as your handicap should only be reached about 25% of the time. So more the former.

It'll be pretty easy to tell if someone sandbagged their HC prior to the event. I have yet to encounter someone doing that though. I think people on here are pretty honest about it.

We have had both.
I think for the most part THPers are a good honest bunch that tend to care more about the environment and the fact that what is taking place was genuinely considered not possible a few years ago than pounding their chest. However we have also seen a few that have been a verifiable low single digit and then when asked come with a number quite a bit higher.

One thing to consider is that handicap is shooting potential, not an average of scores.

I will help Team Michigan by filling the Tonya Harding role. #WatchYourKneecapsOhio

This made me LOL. Funny Rob! Quote of the day in this thread so far.

In my experience, the guesstimate guys who play well are usually congratulated. But the guys who say "I'm a X handicap" then play to an X+10 number are the ones who are rode and not forgotten.

Myself, my rounds usually are anywhere from 94-100 so I claimed a 23. I probably could have gone higher....

I will be getting an official handicap that can be verified if ever needed.

Honesty is the best policy.
Vanity handicaps do nothing good
Sandbagging is right there as well

Just be honest

We have had both.
I think for the most part THPers are a good honest bunch that tend to care more about the environment and the fact that what is taking place was genuinely considered not possible a few years ago than pounding their chest. However we have also seen a few that have been a verifiable low single digit and then when asked come with a number quite a bit higher.

One thing to consider is that handicap is shooting potential, not an average of scores.

Thanks. Thats interesting. Handicaps are always a somewhat controversial topic. In my tournament experiences (non-THP thus far), I have seen a whole lot more sandbagging than the other way around. Maybe that's because guys with vanity handicaps often avoid tournaments like the plague. Not sure. Guess here you would burn bridges really fast if you are winning everything with a non-legitimate hdcp, and probably not be invited back to events.

Thanks. Thats interesting. Handicaps are always a somewhat controversial topic. In my tournament experiences (non-THP thus far), I have seen a whole lot more sandbagging than the other way around. Maybe that's because guys with vanity handicaps often avoid tournaments like the plague. Not sure. Guess here you would burn bridges really fast if you are winning everything with a non-legitimate hdcp, and probably not be invited back to events.

One thing to remember is that at a THP Event, you have to face the music afterwards. Not playing well? Who gives a crap. The guy that is a known low digit that inflates for the event? People struggle with that.

We keep a close eye on things and have never had a major issue at any THP Event, but I will say that for Regional Rivalry we owe it to the captains, the players and the sponsor to keep things in check. And I also believe people can catch lightning in a bottle and play better. But its not hard to spot when you have done this as many times as we have.

At the end of the day, guys that lack morals and honesty, will have to deal with it. We dont expect that to be an issue however.

One thing to remember is that at a THP Event, you have to face the music afterwards. Not playing well? Who gives a crap. The guy that is a known low digit that inflates for the event? People struggle with that.

We keep a close eye on things and have never had a major issue at any THP Event, but I will say that for Regional Rivalry we owe it to the captains, the players and the sponsor to keep things in check. And I also believe people can catch lightning in a bottle and play better. But its not hard to spot when you have done this as many times as we have.

At the end of the day, guys that lack morals and honesty, will have to deal with it. We dont expect that to be an issue however.

Glad to hear it. Im sure you wont have any issues with this group of guys, and will be a great event.

Question: This is a regional rivalry, and you may or not make the team, in what ways do you plan on helping or supporting the team?

I plan on playing with everyone! Tpluff and Wzyzyzyzyguy lives minutes from my house, Solid and 2012BFT live maybe 30-45 mins away, and everyone else is in BFE in the middle of no where. However, I do plan on getting in many more SIM rounds (one left to be scheduled still that I have a groupon for), and plan to play much, much more when the snow melts. I also plan on rooting and cheering everyone on when the day actually comes. If not a playing participant, I will be a sideline cheerleader!...perhaps a co-captain?! Ringing Jdtox....

If ANY of the participants from either Mich or Ohio want to set up a friendly under-the-lights primetime match to get some practice in I am all for that!!!

Going to be an interesting couple of weeks until the captains picks are made...

Question: This is a regional rivalry, and you may or not make the team, in what ways do you plan on helping or supporting the team?

Myslef, I plan on playing a bunch with MusicMaster, and helping where I can for him to prepare for the different formats. Talk about his game with him if he wants, basically help him or any member of #TeamMichigan that I can.

Its going to take a team to win this thing, and I'm going to help in any way that I can!

And it is greatly appreciated man! More than you know! Cant wait for the weather to clear so we can start getting out and playing. And then I can sign up and get an accurate handicap.

I have ZERO excuse for having not done this already, but WILL be signing up once winter breaks.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/handicap-tracker/

THrough US Handicap, there is even a Hackers Paradise group on there with like 100 guys, I think its $30ish

This is the one I will be signing up for as well.

My handicap is a guess, I put that i am between a 24-25, I have tried some of the online calculators and that's what I was getting towards the end of the year last year. My normal round is between 100-110ish. I can go and shoot 55 on the front and turn around and shoot a 44 on the back. That's why I am trying so much to work on consistency, especially with my 9i-LW.

And it is greatly appreciated man! More than you know! Cant wait for the weather to clear so we can start getting out and playing. And then I can sign up and get an accurate handicap.

This is the one I will be signing up for as well.

My handicap is a guess, I put that i am between a 24-25, I have tried some of the online calculators and that's what I was getting towards the end of the year last year. My normal round is between 100-110ish. I can go and shoot 55 on the front and turn around and shoot a 44 on the back. That's why I am trying so much to work on consistency, especially with my 9i-LW.

You played some really solid golf in August, I wouldnt be surprised one bit to see you under 20 at some point this year

You played some really solid golf in August, I wouldnt be surprised one bit to see you under 20 at some point this year

Wow coming from you man that means alot, thank you!
Also that was the round I was referencing, well the Sunday round at Lakes of Taylor, 55,44 were my scores. But at the same time I have been known to have blow up rounds where I shoot 56,54 or great for me rounds of 45,47. So its going to be a lot of work with consistency. I would love to be sub 20 by the end of the year. I am trying to set attainable goals so my goal this year is 20 or better and to have a legit tracked handicap.

Mike, slide on the swing set or no?

I would love to get mine down to a 10 before year end. I the k I'm close, got to touch up some stupid mistakes and get a consistent swing down

Wow coming from you man that means alot, thank you!
Also that was the round I was referencing, well the Sunday round at Lakes of Taylor, 55,44 were my scores. I would love to be sub 20 by the end of the year. I am trying to set attainable goals so my goal this year is 20 or better and to have a legit tracked handicap.

YOur ball striking was much better, you got off of the tee WAY better. Clean up a few things here and there and the strokes will fall off

Mike, slide on the swing set or no?

Definitely

In my experience, the guesstimate guys who play well are usually congratulated. But the guys who say "I'm a X handicap" then play to an X+10 number are the ones who are rode and not forgotten.

Myself, my rounds usually are anywhere from 94-100 so I claimed a 23. I probably could have gone higher....

I will be getting an official handicap that can be verified if ever needed.

Honesty is the best policy.
Vanity handicaps do nothing good
Sandbagging is right there as well

Just be honest

I find this logic baffling. The guesstimate guy that plays 5-6 strokes better than said HCP gets applauded while the guy with a established handicap shoots 5-6 strokes worse than said HCP is ridiculed, for having a "vanity" handicap.

I'm confused why we are so worried about HCP in February, when we are still looking at a month for golf season to start.

Personally I just want to have fun at an Official THP event. While I love winning, I plan on having as much fun as possible even if my vanity HCP doesn't come thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find this logic baffling. The guesstimate guy that plays 5-6 strokes better than said HCP gets applauded while the guy with a established handicap shoots 5-6 strokes worse than said HCP is ridiculed, for having a "vanity" handicap.

I'm confused why we are so worried about HCP in February, when we are still looking at a month for golf season to start.

Personally I just want to have fun at an Official THP event. While I love winning, I plan on having as much fun as possible even if my vanity HCP doesn't come thru.

This event will be a great time not only for those participating, but I bet for the whole forum.

And I didn't say the guy who is 5-6 strokes, in fact I said double that...

And we are talking handicaps now, because this event is taking shape now...
And this is a team event based (I assume) on handicaps, and the only way to conduct an event fairly is if both sides have fair and honest handicaps.

That's all.
And also the reason I didn't put 47, because I know I can beat that by double digits!

This event will be a great time not only for those participating, but I bet for the whole forum.

And I didn't say the guy who is 5-6 strokes, in fact I said double that...

And we are talking handicaps now, because this event is taking shape now...
And this is a team event based (I assume) on handicaps, and the only way to conduct an event fairly is if both sides have fair and honest handicaps.

That's all.
And also the reason I didn't put 47, because I know I can beat that by double digits!

I'm assuming our HCPs now are not what is being used in June, I agree it's nice to have a good judge of game leading up. But that's what are practice rounds will be for.

And you and I both know, even 23 is a stretch, you play great golf minus a hole or two, which shouldn't hurt in Match play. You'll definitely be a force to reckon on team Michigan.

I'm assuming our HCPs now are not what is being used in June, I agree it's nice to have a good judge of game leading up. But that's what are practice rounds will be for.

And you and I both know, even 23 is a stretch, you play great golf minus a hole or two, which shouldn't hurt in Match play. You'll definitely be a force to reckon on team Michigan.

I am hoping that is the case as I plan on improving my handicap a fair amount before this event!

I also assume that the captains will be playing with their teams, getting a feel on how to match guys up, based on strengths and weaknesses.

I think the handicap business will all shake out.
I don't think either captain wants any inflated or deflated handicaps on their teams.

The beauty of 9 hole team matches....
Pops are not too much of a deal.

Match play is sort of a different animal, but I think 23 is a good number for me.

I'd like to get down considerably, and I've seen some things in my practice and some late rounds this fall and winter that suggest that could happen.

Hoping for the best, and will do whatever I can on the team or off to ensure that #TeamMichigan is successful.

This is one of those times that falling on my face a few times in here has taught me to keep my trap shut. My game isn't where I want it to be yet and I hope to work hard and maybe get the chance to represent Ohio in any way possible.....including bribes!

Back