I don't need new irons...

Greg Kulbick

I don't golf good
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
...but man, I want some.

I'm currently gaming a set of 2014 Apex/Apex Pros I got from the THP Ultimate Testing in 2013. I see last year's 5/745, Fly Z+, J15 DPF and DF and Vapor Pro Combo. Now this year's Apex CF 16, Vapor Fly Pro and Forged Tec and King Forged CB/MB. Unfortunately for my skill set, I can't feel comfortable looking down at a chunky club and prefer thin toplines. Now Tallahassee is not the thriving metropolis some of you may think it is. We have a very small Edwin Watts with limited club selection and a single hitting bay, and they're only open until 6, so after work isn't an option. Dick's is, well, Dick's. Limited current lines, shrinking floor space for golf equipment and virtually nothing that isn't SGI.

What I'm looking for is some feedback from people who have had the opportunity to hit many of the types of irons I like: thinner topline while still packing the distance and forgiveness tech. Are the recent releases worth the coin over the 2014 Apex/Apex Pros considering I'm not in a position to go and pick up the newest stuff out there with the potential of having to unload it for a loss in a few weeks if it doesn't work out? Once the new wore off, were you still content switching from what were your previous gamers?

I know there's a lot of subjectivity here, but I'm just looking for some ideas of how people felt about the recent iron releases in this type of category when the honeymoon was over. Thanks.

Having had both the 14 Apex Pros and CF16. I can tell you that the CF16 has noticeable offset compared to the pro. The top line is similar but I couldn't get over the offset. Also the loft being much stronger would suggest a difference in gapping.

Really if you want new clubs, you don't really need too many good reasons to do it, but if you want it justified, you would need to think about what is lacking in your current set and aim to improve upon it. I chose to stick with Apex Pro and put in some new graphite AXE shafts in it. It's much cheaper and I am happier with the results as well.

Of the sets you've mentioned, I've hit the Z545/Z745, J15 DF, Vapor Pro Combo, and the various Apex models, though I haven't actually owned any of them. My thoughts:

Z545 - One of the sexiest true GI clubs I've hit. Great forgiveness (particularly low face) and distance, feels great for a bigger head too. But it's got a fairly chunky topline which sounds like it may turn you off. I preferred it to the Apex, but it's not a significantly different type of club IMO.
Z745 - A true players club, but there is still some forgiveness here. They feel outstanding, but they are similar to the Apex Pro in forgiveness IMO.
J15 DF - These fake you out. They look like a really hardline forged iron, and yet that internal hollow cavity and slightly stronger loft gives them ball speed and forgiveness you wouldn't expect from an iron this small, particularly lower on the face. Similar footprint to the Apex Pro, but I found much better performance and forgiveness here. I have a set on order, if that tells you anything!
Vapor Pro Combo - I'd slot these in between the Z745 and J15 DF, with the 745 being less forgiving/shorter and the J15 DF being more forgiving/longer for me. Great looking iron with great feel. Like the 745 though, these won't help you much low on the face.

I hope some of that helps!

Yeah kind of like the same boat as me. I have my Ap1 but was looking at the C200, well I bought a single iron to test, but there aren't many place that carry them around here so I'm still looking but also now looking at the CF16 which by looking at it's similar to my AP1. I do want to get graphite in my next irons and Recoil looks like the one that I probably want unless I can find some C200 I can get fitted then it will be the Rogue. Have not tried the CF16 yet, but there are places around me that have fitters and carry them.

Back