Driver $325
Fairway Woods $225
Hybrids $150
Iron set $650
Wedge $120
Putter $200

Balls $40
Average round of golf $40-$85

With ebay and used pricing being incredibly good sometimes, I have a hard time paying full retail for anything golf-related anymore. I bargain hunt, and love the thrill of grabbing a piece of gear for well below what it would cost in store.

For me.
Driver $200
Fairway Woods $150
Hybrids $125
Iron set $600
Wedge $90
Putter $200

Balls $35
Average round of golf $20-$65

I'm Poor, so I tend to buy my gear a year after their release

Same numbers for me, hence my dated equipment.

For me.
Driver Head $350
Driver Shaft $600
3 wood head $200
3wood Shaft $300

Hybrids $300
Iron set $1100
Wedge $150
Putter $10000

Balls $60
Average round of golf - over $100 and I start 2nd guessing

For me.
Driver Head $350
Driver Shaft $600
3 wood head $200
3wood Shaft $300

Hybrids $300
Iron set $1100
Wedge $150
Putter $10000

Balls $60
Average round of golf - over $100 and I start 2nd guessing

what putter are you gaming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver - $100 or <
Fwys - $50 or < per
Hybrid - $50 or < per
Irons - $200 or <
Wedges - $50 or < per
Putter - $100 or <

Give or take a few $ either way.

Driver $200

irons $500

hybrids $125

Wedges $110

putter $325

i don't pay full price when I can get almost new for half the price. Except for my Scotty...

I don't spend more than $100 for anything, I might have a couple hundred in my whole kit. It is all pretrained, never had a new club.
You guys are spending a lot looking for the magic club!
Probably a $40 limit on a round, though I play a lot of twilight for $20

Whatever I can save up for a particular item that I need, I always buy clearance clothing, and used balls.

I always buy clubs that are a year old and last years models generally from eBay. Quite a bit of savings this way and I really don't believe that the technology changes that fast. Golf balls are usually 5-A from Lost Golf Balls

I'm a little more willing to spend on clubs than balls or a round because those are things I plan to keep for longer.

Driver $500
Fairway Woods $200
Hybrids $150
Iron set $900
Wedge $120
Putter $250

Balls $30
Average round of golf $20-$40

Let me start by saying this, if I get more than 6 outing a year, including driving range time, that would be a lot of golf for me.

This should also tell you my prices, I probably don't have over $300 in my whole set including bag and the 8 dozen Wilson duos sitting next to my clubs.

I tend to use the same golf equipment for years, somewhat of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing. Yes, I understand that there are technology advancements, but I have heard that it takes more than one year or so for those advancements to accumulate to the point where they may make a material difference. Accordingly, I am set for a while with my irons, wedges and putter(s). My driver, fairway medals and hybrid are rather old now. So I am considering with the advice of my instructor and fitter at the local range some new equipment in these areas. If I do make a purchase it will be for the established manufacturers price most likely. But then again, I will be using them for a few years. Fundamentally, my equipment purchase has just been new grips. The one thing I know with absolute certainty nothing will be made by PXG. I just cannot even comprehend paying that much for clubs.

Being a student I'm pretty much set on keeping my main equipment for a few seasons and adding up occasionally:banana:.(Thanks to the much higher equipment prices and lack of seller competition in my part of europe:)). My set budget is max around 100-200 bucks a year just for equipment . Unfortunately golf doesn't have anywhere near the same recognition over here compared to the US (The one thing I'm jealous of you guys:) apart from your NHL teams and blues musicians:D.
Anyway, i don't think that there are huge technology advancements every year.
Maybe every 3 or 4 years but nothing that strikes me as an amateur who can't hit a driver even if his life depends on it:)

Looking to buy a new driver and possibly a new wedge this year. Prices are a little higher here in Sweden so I will spend like
600$ for a new driver
and
165$ for a new wedge

I'm cheap, no more than $50 for a driver/fw, $400 for a set of irons and $100 on a putter. I usually buy used and very happy with the bag.

This is the beauty of THP. If I need a hybrid I look at threads on those I know I might like. I am ok with tech that is one season behind. Then I find bargains online. Not sure I will follow that logic for the driver but it has worked for everything else including bags and shoes

Im a cheapo when it comes to golf. At most I would spend 150 on a driver or putter and that's only if I really, really want it. The most I have spent is 300 for my irons set and 300 for my gps watch.

well this is going to out me as a cheapskate lol, but i normally buy used as well so this pricing will reflect that. If new pricing ever gets down into there, i'll jump on it too.

Driver $225
Fairway Woods $125
Hybrids $100
Iron set $500
Wedge $100
Putter $350 (I'll splurge a bit for a putter, and i have)

Balls $30
Average round of golf public track ($70) and if i am playing private i'll stomach $100

Driver $450
FW $230
Hybrid $200
Irons $1200
Wedges $150 each
Putter $300

I'll pay more if I convince myself I have to it.

Most rounds at played at the course I belong to so I have no idea what an average round costs me but factor in the total bill of alcohol and food, I don't think I want to know. Rounds not played there are generally in $50-100 range though.

For me.
Driver $150
Fairway Woods, $60
Hybrids $75
Iron set $400
Wedge $65
Putter $80

Balls $30 for 2 doz
Average round of golf $35

Driver: $200 (almost always used to maximize this budget)
Woods: $125
Irons: $500
Wedges $100 each
Bag: $200
Putter: $200
Golf Balls: $40

I buy a lot of my clubs used in excellent or mint condition so that maximizes this budget.

I might be the cheapest cheapskate on this thread, but I'm retired, not rich, and not an accomplished player (yet, I hope). So I can't see spending a fortune on state-of-the-art gear. I buy used, or at discount outlets and travelling liquidation events. What I paid is about all I would pay, so here it is (costs include shipping and/or regripping if necessary):
Driver: $100.
FW: $50.
Hybrids: $60 each.
Irons: $300.
Wedges: free to $50 each.
Bag: $80.
Balls: $1.25 each.
I'm shopping for a new putter, will spend up to $100.
I'm lucky enough to live in a rural area where rounds of golf don't cost too much and last-minute deals are even better, like $20 walking or $35 with a cart. I have a membership, good for midafternoons and evenings only, that cost $350, so rounds at my home course will average out to a little over $3.

Last edited:
I've been able to buy two drivers in new condition on ebay for under a hundred bucks each by bidding properly and shopping around/waiting. I got a replacement for my hybrid (Cobra baffler) in stiff flex (swing has gotten faster) that was said to be in very good condition that looks like brand new for $29.00.

Bottom line, you don't have to spend alot of money to get good gear if you look around. I did have a TM M2 hybrid in my hand the other week that I was really tempted to buy. It just felt good. Good thing it was in 19* instead of the 22 or 23 that I like to hit or I would have paid $150.oo for it plus tax.

I buy almost all my golf clubs used, other than wedges and the occasional putter. I really enjoy buying 3 or 4 putters and drivers every year but they are almost always from ebay. The most I've spent on a driver or a putter is $300 but the averge price paid for the 50 driver/putters in my collection is likely under $100. In my life I had bought just two sets of irons new until I ordered my Srixon's a couple weeks ago. Until buying these, I've spent a total of about $2,200 total on the 5 sets of irons I've bought going back to 1980. I guess even though I'm at that point in my life where I can afford to pay full retail for the best equipment, I still like getting a deal and am usually happy to wait a year or two and buy something half price or less.

My current comfort zone

Driver $300
Wedge $130
Putter $250
FW $150
Irons -$900
Balls -$45
Greens Fees - $250

Were all in different situations be it having kids, just starting out in life or well established etc. I would be interested to hear what your price point is before it becomes to much and you walk away from a club or a round of golf. Tech costs money and were seeing more and more tech in clubs and there is always going to be inflation and price jumps from year to year. So where are you comfortable?

For me.
Driver $450
Fairway Woods, I don't play them so I always walk away.
Hybrids $180
Iron set $1100
Wedge $160
Putter $225

Balls $45
Average round of golf $60-$80

Since I don't shop at places like Dick's or other sporting goods outlet stores I can avoid paying the high overhead prices which are attached to the price of clubs at big sporting good outlets. Instead I shop on ebay for reputable dealers who sell guaranteed OEM items at cost because they don't have high overhead costs. Many of them even offer free shipping. So my prices differ greatly than the prices of someone who buys at huge sporting goods stores and outlets.

Driver $150
Fairway woods $50
Hybrid $50 - $60
Irons - $230
Wedges - $60
Putter - $30

Balls - $5 doz reclaimed in AAAA condition
Round of golf - $1 after buying a years senior membership which costs $285

Back