Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

Here are some thoughts.

1 - These irons have withstood the test of time.
2 - That I never bothered owning a set of my own is a joke.
3 - There is almost no point in buying the Apex Pro irons if you demo the Apex alongside them. They are basically the same thing, but more forgiving.
4 - The package is not big at all. Sure, not blades, but give me a break.
5 - Not as long as the XR Pros or as forgiving well outside center face contact, but I'd argue they sound better (offer better feedback).

I can't wait for Callaway Preowned to get these on sale again. I'll more than likely pick up a set -- With Tour V stiff, naturally. Hat tip to AMart for letting me game his for a while.

Look what arrived today... Breaking them out for league tonight. No reason not to dive right in, right?
f5bde3edc5dfbc98f9beb3f5e670d04c.jpg
bc088b65808cbb0e3761f0b3e48c3cc8.jpg
594b2bbd7d2bd27d9fec2fef3d05d9a7.jpg

I still love these clubs even though i haven't been lucky enough to be able to afford them but i have hit them a few times in the shop and they just look and feel so good.

Have any of you played with the Apex SW (55*?) that is available? I love my AW so much I'm thinking of the SW...although I already have a Vokey 54* I can't help but think the Apex SW will be more forgiving/consistent for me.

Have any of you played with the Apex SW (55*?) that is available? I love my AW so much I'm thinking of the SW...although I already have a Vokey 54* I can't help but think the Apex SW will be more forgiving/consistent for me.

I have the Apex SW, it is a solid club. I should use it more often than I do to be honest. It works well on full shots but I get concerned sometimes that I hit it too high with the recoil shaft. The few times out of the sand I have used it has performed great.

I just added the regular Apex 4 iron to my set. Wanted the extra forgiveness in that particular club. The regular Apex are superb irons--the best player at my club games them as does one of our club pros. Great all around package, just not as soft as the one piece Pros. The Pros are a touch more demanding but long, accurate and soft. Best irons I have ever owned.

I've really enjoyed having these back in the bag. There is no question that I hit these better than any other iron I've tried/demoed since the Grandaddy, and it's not even close. At the range Friday, I saw again the tiny dispersion I have with these after about 10 shots at a flag around 135. They were all on the "green" structure. That never happened with my previous set. Not once. These are just amazing irons.

Two rounds in now. I am really enjoying these. I definitely have lost a bit of feel with the Apex vs my X Forged, but that is more than made up for with incredible forgiveness. I hit shots with my four, five, and a couple six irons tonight and was very pleased with launch and all of them were right on target. I'm close to a full club longer. I need some more reps to really figure my distances out, but all good right now.

Also very pleased with the Pros in my 8-PW.

I have experienced how forgiving these irons are as I have been working through some swing changes the last 6 months, but now that I am feeling dialed in, I am seeing how accurate these bad boys are.

I played 16 holes, hit 9 greens, birdied 3 holes (1st time I have gotten 3 birdies in a round) and they were all 5' or less after approach shots with the Apex (2 with an 8I and one with the AW). 7I or less and I have so much confidence over the ball.

Two rounds in now. I am really enjoying these. I definitely have lost a bit of feel with the Apex vs my X Forged, but that is more than made up for with incredible forgiveness. I hit shots with my four, five, and a couple six irons tonight and was very pleased with launch and all of them were right on target. I'm close to a full club longer. I need some more reps to really figure my distances out, but all good right now.

Also very pleased with the Pros in my 8-PW.
Also switched from razr x forged, the forgiveness on miss hits in the Pros more than makes up for the minor change in feel.

I still have a set in the garage that comes out when I'm in a good groove. They are forgiving but the XR's give me a world of forgiveness. Looking forward to seeing how they tweaked these the next go around.

I can't really say enough about these irons. As crappy as my swing is right now, I can depend on these to be right where I need them. When paired up with the correct shaft combo for the individual, it unleashes the true distance and consistency of the club. I will be interested to see the next iteration of the Apex line, but I am very content gaming these for the foreseeable future.

Just popping in to say that these are by far the best irons I have ever gamed and I am seeing some of my best iron play this season. They feel so good when you flush it and the sound and ball flight is just perfect. They are definitely forgiving on slightly off center hits as clearly we don't flush it every time but typically the distance isn't that far off what I expect to see.

I only have the 4-6 irons as part of my combo set, the rest of my set is the apex pros and these have a bit of a softer feel to me and mishits are less noticeable.

There is no reason why these will be leaving the bag anytime soon.

These really saved my butt today. I couldn't drive worth a darn, but I was hitting the Apex so smooth. I still really love these clubs!

back to these after an xr pro experiment. solid solid solid. Not even sure I want to get the new Apex anymore.

I bought my Apex new back in June 2014 and after about 50 rounds since they are nice and broken in and dinged up and I couldn't be happier with them. I still need to get the 6-7-8 adjusted 1 degree flat (like the 9-pw-aw) and I am pondering a shaft switch (something lighter than 110). I can't see or justify replacing them until late next year especially since I am in over $1100 for 6-AW and the KBS C-Taper Lites.

That being said I'll test the heck out of the 2016 versions at my huge local course/shop/outdoor range as soon as I run across them.

I just started gaming my Apex 4-AW 10 days ago. Distance. WOW. I'm coming from distance irons (RAZR X HL) and still hitting balls through the back of the green with easier swings. On a 180yd par 3 (188 to back edge), I hit a smooth 5. High towering shot. I reached for my tee since the ball was on-line and should have been perfect for a birdie putt. Look up and watch the ball hit the cart path some 20 yards behind the green. I usually hit 4 iron to this pin placement.

Still figuring my new distances. This will change the top end of my bag if this trend keeps going.

Hopefully you get it dialed in Straightslice. It took me a round or two and then I was set.

I'm working on swing changes too so it might be a few more rounds to find that consistency.

Smooth swing and good turns and I'm unlocking all types of power.

Front 9. Couldn't hit the darn Things but after that they were magic. Longer so it was a bit hard to hit greens. I was over them then entire back 9. Can't wait to play again Sunday and fine tune the distances.

I love these irons. You are right. These irons go so far. I'm still getting accustomed to the distance. Hitting 7i over 170 in cold weather still feels weird.

Either my swing got better or these things just fit me perfectly.

Back to work this season with these remaining in the bag. It's days like today why I wonder why I'd consider replacing these. They are just flat out stone cold killers for me. First round in almost 3 months, 42* weather with 10 mph wind, and these helped me shoot 6 over. Off the toe? No problem as the ball held its line on several occasions and found the green. Frozen greens? How about backspin with a 6 iron.

If these keep up their performance at this rate all year, I'd be insane to even look at another iron set.

Fest round of 2016 with these today. Granted it was very very muddy I hit a high 125 yard gap wedge and spun it back about 15 ft.

Anither shot I was 135 out to an uphill green. The grass was wet so I took a smooth swung with my 9i and it landed pin high which I made the putt for birdie.

Still love these Irons!

Bringing this thread back from the dead because I saw something on the back of my irons during my round today that I had never seen before. It looks like some of the backs of the irons are getting separated from the bodies of the irons. I have no idea if this is just the way they are built or if this is an issue. I'm not really noticing any big performance issues, but now I'm worried the backs will completely detach from the clubs and fall out.

Here are the pictures:
8 iron

aca8bf5b9b0c453882fa1248e3639a0e.jpg

c7992964eaaf57c29208df5f3935f150.jpg

9 iron

de9f89c64723358ace6f25d79f55e52e.jpg

2933a843bdfd2bcb355094c3ddf1a151.jpg

Here is the PW, which doesn't have any separation at the back to show the difference.

b570ba661c42ad21ff1a3803bd419af8.jpg

Just wondering if this is just how the irons are supposed to be or if I have an issue.

Back