Talking Technology with Cobra Golf - The Golf Industry Uncut Volume 4

Waiting for the kiddos to go to sleep so I can listen to this one. Worst case I'll cue it up on the morning drive to work. All of the past episodes have been so good, can not wait to listen to this one.

Man TO is smart hahaha....I've got to go back and listen to this again.

One thing I liked hearing is how aware CPG is to how resistant to aesthetic change golfers are. Hearing the approach to head shapes was very interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never realized that they were only moving the CG by about 6mm which is less than 1/4" for you metric system challenged people. I thought it was a much larger distance considering how large the driver heads are!

This was really a great listen. Replayed it twice during the drive tonight. 6mm is not very big at all. TO is a book of knowledge!!!

Great listen. Going to replay on the drive into work. Interesting how the visual/customer aspect drives the technology. I wonder how much it holds back the industry as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great listen. Going to replay on the drive into work. Interesting how the visual/customer aspect drives the technology. I wonder how much it holds back the industry as a whole.

I think quite a bit in my opinion.

I think quite a bit in my opinion.

I would agree. Look at last years Cure putters. Consumers were so offset by the look/sound that they wanted no part of it even though the rest of the putter industry went that direction (high MOI). Cure had to come to the market with traditional looking options just so they weren't considered a gimmick imo. Just think of all that's capable that hasn't been released because of looks

Downloaded and will listen in the bus ride into work.

Will be listening on the drive to work today.

I would agree. Look at last years Cure putters. Consumers were so offset by the look/sound that they wanted no part of it even though the rest of the putter industry went that direction (high MOI). Cure had to come to the market with traditional looking options just so they weren't considered a gimmick imo. Just think of all that's capable that hasn't been released because of looks

Good analogy. I do love when companies push the envelope in the looks department.

6mm is just shy of 1/4 of an inch. That's a lot if you think about the depth of the head. Is that a linear movement front to back or is that on the XY and Z axis within the head?

Last edited:
TO was a great listen. The Loren Roberts story was interesting and very telling about perception as opposed to function. I was also surprised at how little distance cg needs to move to change performance. Actual moi numbers were interesting also.

This was a fantastic interview with Tom, really digging the new format.

Congrats to TO on the recent anniversary at CPG!

Very interesting to think about golfers replacing every 3-5 years so they will see more drastic changes than those that replace each year. Makes a ton of sense.

Lots of great technical talk that I don't pretend to understand but good discussion.

Got road rage? Hahaha

6mm is just shy of 1/4 of an inch. That's a lot if you think about the depth of the head. Is that a linear movement front to back or is that on the XY and Z axis within the head?

I didn't think it was much considering the size of the driver head and how far you can move the sliding weight on some of the clubs but obviously, I'm wrong. It's a lot more complicated than it appears!!!

Just finished listening. I had a Judge back in the day. Teeny tiny sweet spot on those.

That was a really good listen. to knows his stuff. These podcasts make me want to look into a career change haha

That was a great listen. I enjoyed the part about CG and it being lower in their heads than others.

Last edited:
Another amazing show, these THP Radio episodes just keep getting better and better, so much info and insights in them!

Good listen. The Loren Roberts story was interesting. I may be off base on this, but it almost sounded frustrating that consumers are so stubborn about loft and peak height.

Great listen. Need to go back and listen again as I also listened to the True Temper talk again and realized how much I missed the first time.

Just a general comment about all of THP radio sessions--I love the tech talk we are getting here from the best in the business. A lot of times, while THP does a stellar job of explaining the tech in the reviews, it's just easier sometimes to digest the tech talk having someone explain it in this type of format. From the CG talk to the talk about square drivers to how the Pro version of the LTD is flatter than standard are just so informative. Thanks.

Another very informative episode with industry's knowledgeable. Loved the bit about the cg location impacting shaft performance and the actual fitting aspect of cg for players

Great listen. Need to go back and listen again as I also listened to the True Temper talk again and realized how much I missed the first time.

Just a general comment about all of THP radio sessions--I love the tech talk we are getting here from the best in the business. A lot of times, while THP does a stellar job of explaining the tech in the reviews, it's just easier sometimes to digest the tech talk having someone explain it in this type of format. From the CG talk to the talk about square drivers to how the Pro version of the LTD is flatter than standard are just so informative. Thanks.

That's the goal here without a doubt. Another avenue of education for THPers.

I agree with Jeff. I was reading another source which said the LTD drivers were exactly the same except for the sleeves. Not. I also thought it was interesting how people - even pro's who have money on the line - can let their heads get in the way of objective data. (giving up distance because you don't like trajectory when you aren't a long hitter...uh, okay).

Has anybody that is a subscriber had this appear on their phone telling them it was ready? Its not coming up in iTunes as of yet on the back end.

Has anybody that is a subscriber had this appear on their phone telling them it was ready? Its not coming up in iTunes as of yet on the back end.

I did not. Was there when I opened my podcast last night.

Back