Mixed sets of clubs

I've assumed that the set arrived with the listed lofts and lie I requested. I'll get them checked.

In regards to a mixed set. I love the mid and long irons in the apex and the short irons in the 745. They gap well and I hit them well as they are all fit to my game. Mixing the best to two great sets makes me a stronger player. I would think that would hold true for any golfer.

I really think it goes against the norm which most do not like to do. I think it could be a game changer. It's like replacing long irons with hybrids, IMO. You place clubs in the bag that make you play better.

Its always worth double checking when one runs into a situation like you seem to be having. You never know.

As to the mixing, I disagree, but it is what it is there. You are not the average player so you can get away with more in that regard where it pertains to what you need/demand in a specific portion of the set, for most of us I simply feel a mixed set is not a good way to go. I know its not a popular stance, especially as we see Callaway releasing a CF/Pro combo set to the masses, but that is another thing that makes literally no sense to me based on the sheer profile and design traits alone.

In the end, its all about what one wants, and what works, whether physically or mentally.

I keep thinking about a similar setup with the Hogan line at the bottom of the bag.
Since they sell them individually, you don't have to pay for the mid irons on up.

Its always worth double checking when one runs into a situation like you seem to be having. You never know.

As to the mixing, I disagree, but it is what it is there. You are not the average player so you can get away with more in that regard where it pertains to what you need/demand in a specific portion of the set, for most of us I simply feel a mixed set is not a good way to go. I know its not a popular stance, especially as we see Callaway releasing a CF/Pro combo set to the masses, but that is another thing that makes literally no sense to me based on the sheer profile and design traits alone.

In the end, its all about what one wants, and what works, whether physically or mentally.

Last paragraph is what it is all about when it come to equipment.

I am a huge mixed set fan but not just to mix the set. I look for my long and mid irons to act a certain way and I want my short irons to act a certain way. Unfortunately that is not usually achieved without a mixed set.

Being that most of it is mental I use what appears to me to give me the best results. When clubs are designed they are designed with the masses in mind (most of the time) that said as with everything there will always be outliers (very small percentage) that the stock make up just is not what they are looking for so in comes the combo set. Kudos to Callaway for recognizing that and giving the options (even though I agree with James the apex and apex pro combo makes me scratch my head).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A very interesting thought Freddie, maybe I could see myself with a 3, 4, or even 5 of a mixed something, but once I got to say the 8-GW I'd probably want them to be similar.

I'm just a man, standing with a golf club....lol
I hear ya and see you point.

I say go for it if it fits your gaps.

5 iron & up are commonly replaced by hybrids or utility irons of a different brand, so why not do the same with scoring irons.

I'm just a man, standing with a golf club....lol
I hear ya and see you point.

Bullsh*t.

You're a Panda that will eat faces and bamboo at the same damn time!

I say go for it if it fits your gaps.

5 iron & up are commonly replaced by hybrids or utility irons of a different brand, so why not do the same with scoring irons.

I love that avatar, down with the Macaw!

I have tinkered with this before. The one thing that helped me was making sure that the weighting in the clubs was similar if not exactly the same. It is all about the mental aptitude of your game. As you know that is 90% of the game. Having that confidence going in makes all of the difference.

What options are there for individual clubs out there. So far I am thinking of going with maltby 5 and 6 irons from golf works and get some true temper shafts or those sexy project x steel one and put them together myself which is easy enough. Any other options out there I should look into.

I have tinkered with this before. The one thing that helped me was making sure that the weighting in the clubs was similar if not exactly the same. It is all about the mental aptitude of your game. As you know that is 90% of the game. Having that confidence going in makes all of the difference.
Are you talking about swing weight or actual weight.

just curious as to the disagreement stance; what's different about this than a tour pro swapping out their 3/4/or even 5 for the more forgiving model? That's happening quite frequently on tour these days.

As to the last part of your comment though, I 100% agree.

Never have given it a thought, would be interesting to try though

just curious as to the disagreement stance; what's different about this than a tour pro swapping out their 3/4/or even 5 for the more forgiving model? That's happening quite frequently on tour these days.

As to the last part of your comment though, I 100% agree.

They're tour players.

They're tour players.

Right, so even they need help. I guess I'm failing to see the negative side effects. longer irons are harder to hit, that's a given. So going with more forgiving clubs in the long irons to help out with things such as launch/off center strikes, but sticking with a profile you enjoy looking at in shorter irons that you may not struggle hitting - is a bad thing? If the gaps check out, I can't really see a single negative side effect other than having to look at your bag and see mixed irons.

I'm in no way trying to discount what you're saying, because I know with your experience you know way more than I do...so I guess I'm just trying to understand.

To the OP. My current bag is sort of that way....kind of, but all within the family, so to speak. With the Apex and Apex Pro combo setup.

I'd have no problem doing what you mention, but I just don't fell like I've found (had a chance) another set that would give me the confidence I have it my current set up.

Right, so even they need help. I guess I'm failing to see the negative side effects. longer irons are harder to hit, that's a given. So going with more forgiving clubs in the long irons to help out with things such as launch/off center strikes, but sticking with a profile you enjoy looking at in shorter irons that you may not struggle hitting - is a bad thing? If the gaps check out, I can't really see a single negative side effect other than having to look at your bag and see mixed irons.

I'm in no way trying to discount what you're saying, because I know with your experience you know way more than I do...so I guess I'm just trying to understand.

They also have tour fitters and vans to get things to a finite specification to blend for their needs.

What one must remember, is a set is designed as a set for a reason, it offers consistency in the traits (launch, spin, perimeter weighting, etc) by design. My point is this, some companies are DESIGNING split sets (or even lines that co-exist like Titleist MB/CB etc) to work in such a way, and that is a ok. However, taking different entities and putting them together haphazardly is, IMO, not necessarily the most sound move. As I said, for Freddie, he could play anything, but for the largest margin it just doesn't make sense to me to FORCE sets together. Heck, even OEM's make me scratch my head here, look at the CF16 and Pro combo set that released, talk about two MASSIVELY different spin profiles. This OP is unique in that it is two different brands, Panda could 100% rock a "blended" set though. He got game.

That said, its definitely my opinion, and I have no issues with people playing what they want and how they want at all, hell, I encourage it. I'll be honest though I think on the internet many want to play a "blended" set to say that they play a blended set...but we all do hit 300 yards too, right? :alien:

I guess I don't see the difference between a blended set and a set that comes with hybrids. You might have to tweak them a touch to get the gaping down but that isn't that hard.

This was my thinking to try the Cobra F6 irons, a mixed set with flighted shafts but all from Cobra. They are a bit clunky looking IMO, but time will tell if they help my game.

I guess I don't see the difference between a blended set and a set that comes with hybrids. You might have to tweak them a touch to get the gaping down but that isn't that hard.

Just that many people do one and not many do another. If the clubs do what you want them to do it shouldn't matter if you have 14 matching clubs or 14 different clubs in the end it is all about what you need/want. I am on the opposite spectrum from Jman (although respect his opinion on it more than I can say) I think one reason you dont see more mixed sets is companies wanting to keep their skus down. Also it works for a small segment of golfers not the masses so why devote resources which equals money to such a small segment.
Also things can be designed on paper and even after thousands of hours of testing those design traits still will not always hold true for everyone. It happens with anything that is designed not just golf clubs. That said it not holding true is a very very small amount of cases so again why design something around those few cases.

I dont think a mixed set is for everyone but it has its place and in the end as James said everyone needs to game what makes them happy.

Never tried it but I don't think I would have problem as long as I checked out the clubs I didn't like for instance....shaft frequency, lie , loft, and length!

What options are there for individual clubs out there. So far I am thinking of going with maltby 5 and 6 irons from golf works and get some true temper shafts or those sexy project x steel one and put them together myself which is easy enough. Any other options out there I should look into.
What irons are you going to use from them, love the Maltby stuff.

I am leaning towards KE4 tour ones.

...but we all do hit 300 yards too, right? :alien:
405 last time I checked:clapp:
but in all honesty I agree and disagree on your point.... If you ARE looking for the same launch, spin perimeter weighting etc for your clubs than yes, I agree with you, using a blended set is not a good idea... but what if that's why Panda is using a blended set? he wants a different launch and spin trajectory in his long irons than his short irons? or not Necessarily Panda but anybody that wants a different launch and spin in their long irons than they do their short... that's when I would agree a blended set could be best... but again, that's my opinion, and why Golf is such a great game.... there is no perfect way to do things, what works for panda might not ( let's be honest, probably not... he is stupid good) work for us, and visa versa and that is still perfectly ok.

Back